Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Troy Badges Competition - Discussion & Suggestions Thread

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Troy Badges Competition - Discussion & Suggestions Thread

Troy Badge Competition - Discussion Thread

Use this thread for discussing the Troy Badge Competition; suggestions, ideas, constructive criticism are all welcome, just remember to show the due respect to everybody involved, in particular to the submitters. Thanks!

For Submitting your work, please use this Thread; for detailed description of the Rules, please check this Thread.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Troy Badges Competition - Discussion & Suggestions Thread

Did I miss it or can you put a precise date as to how long we have for the upload? I read 3 weeks but that always leaves some leeway for interpretations.

Anyway, gimme some time and I'll cook something up.
    Gettit? gettit?
    COOK
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Blog Entries

I always set minimums, but never maximums, if you get what I mean

3 weeks from today means the 29th of June, but I reserved myself the opportunity to extend the submission period in case of lack of submissions or if any other event occurs (i.e. the site is down for 3 days, it happened in the past ).
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

another unralted thing, so please allow me to double post

I'd personally love to see something different than the Rome 2 badges, which were all marble and statues; even if that works relatively good for "classic" stuff, I'd say that a change is in order.. after all this is the Bronze age, and that could be a good inspiration for making Troy's badges.
    This is of course my opinion, just that, you are free to produce whatever kind of badge you want; also remember that each submitter can have 2 submissions, provided that the style between the 2 is different.

Citizen

Ye my thought as well. I was gonna go for pottery style

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I can't wait for some kickass greek red-figure pottery or some super mindblowing anatolian early bronze age faiences. Sorry for being ironic, every archeologist knows pottery is THE thing, but then again, it's just ... pottery.

Still, this cup identifies an entire culture.* Can you say that of yourself?

Also, it's got a handle. A HANDLE. Every single one of their mugs had a handle. Who needs a handle in 2000 BC? Didn't they have other things to worry about? Like, starving, dying of the cold, or making badges?

*It's the Unetice culture, in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't, but I told you anyway, so there!
    Last edited by Iskar; June 09, 2020 at 03:23 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Citizen

You had a bit much of whatever was in that cup, didn't you?

Moderator Emeritus

Not unlikely.

That said, the idea of doing the badges like pottery illustrations instead of marbles is intriguing and would make for a nice change.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Would look great:

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Citizen

Well Akar now beat me to it. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Not unlikely.

That said, the idea of doing the badges like pottery illustrations instead of marbles is intriguing and would make for a nice change.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Would look great:

nice stuff! I think that the usual colors of pottery (black, white, red, ocher/gold) could make up for an excellent mix for badges

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    nice stuff! I think that the usual colors of pottery (black, white, red, ocher/gold) could make up for an excellent mix for badges
    Indeed. The first image or symbol could be a badge for Moderation (a moderator reminding a member not to violate the ToS).

The second symbol could be for Artifex (who stand ready to give mod support).
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Badges MUST remain within the 175 pixels wide and 60 pixels tall. They MUST NOT be animated. PNG files are preferred, in order to maintain a high degree of graphical fidelity. Maximum file size is 5KB
    mmhhh... 5kb seems really too low for a 175x60, maybe you're talking about 24 pixels versions...
    to make an example this is a 6kb 48x48 icon i did for frodo's rpfm

also...
    first round is 100% ok but doing all the 27 badges... could be too much time consuming
    maybe it would be better to decide a graphical template and then divide jobs into more guys, just a suggestions here
    also 'cause a good graphical level is generally time consuming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Badges MUST remain within the 175 pixels wide and 60 pixels tall. They MUST NOT be animated. PNG files are preferred, in order to maintain a high degree of graphical fidelity. Maximum file size is 5KB
    mmhhh... 5kb seems really too low for a 175x60, maybe you're talking about 24 pixels versions...
    no, check the actual badge sizes, they are below 5kb.. that's part of the challenge of making them see here and subsequent posts for a similar discussion which took place during the 3K badges competition.

also...
    first round is 100% ok but doing all the 27 badges... could be too much time consuming
    maybe it would be better to decide a graphical template and then divide jobs into more guys, just a suggestions here
    also 'cause a good graphical level is generally time consuming
    the prize for participating is consistent: 20 rep for 6 badges, + another 30 rep for making the full set (which is 21 and not 27, so it's 15 badges more) + the artist award for the winner (or another 80 rep if the winner already has that award); of course one has to value such rewards, but that's what TWC has to offer for a similar contribution to the community . I do agree that it's time consuming, that's why there are 3(+1) weeks for the first submission, 3(+1) weeks for the second submission.. of course if needed be and requested by the various submitters, it's is possible to further extend the submission periods, but I'd say that 2 months for making 21 badges is a good amount of time, or anyways that's the sentiment expressed in the previous badge competition
    Last edited by Flinn; June 15, 2020 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typos

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

ok perfect
    maybe i just chosed to be too pragmatical too early...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    ok perfect
    maybe i just chosed to be too pragmatical too early...
    no problem, the commentary is here for the purpose of asking and discussing, so keep the questions and comments coming if you have any more
    Last edited by Flinn; June 16, 2020 at 03:23 AM.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I'll vote for whoever includes birds in their badges.

Moderator Emeritus

I love the pottery style ones, Akar. Great job!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like the pottery style ones, too!

I hope you don't mind, but I have a suggestion. Is there any chance it would be possible for the background to the words to be a little bit paler on the pottery style badges? It might be just a variation-between-monitors effect (or a slightly-dodgy eyesight effect!), but for me, the red wording on the Hex badge doesn't show up as well as the other colours on the other badges.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I hope you don't mind, but I have a suggestion.
    Suggestions and (constructive) criticism are always welcome!

This isn't the final version of the pottery ones, but I figured since we can edit the threads up till the day of I may as well post them now and see what people think. Thanks for the suggestion I'll see what I can do to improve the readability .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast