Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] LM badges and username color

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: [Decision] Troy Badges Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Majora View Post
    I find it more appropriate than adding a new badge to be displayed for local mods who've done their thing a while to be recognized as such - indicating that one's at least done a few things and thus permanently immortalizing them as a contributing member of the 'auxilla', not to speak for how this would be defined and individually measured.
    Well, some people here thinks that LM's doesn't need a badge at the same time citizens need a badge.

That doesn't make sense, because if LM's doesn't need a badge then why should citizens have a badge.

Both citizens and LM's have their group color, but only citizens has a badge without being a LM. Except for modded citizens (Artifex) in a hosted mod forum of course.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Default Re: [Discussion] LM badges and username color

Badges are either used because it helps other people know what you're doing, and if they should contact you (e.g. staff, or previously CA etc) - or as a reward / status symbol (citizen/patrician)

Giving LM's them doesn't help with the people know what you're doing, and if they should contact you - it just confuses that more, as it will appear when they post in areas they're not actually an LM for.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to give the badge as a reward either, as you'd be giving the equivalent of a fairly major award (citizenship), as soon as anyone was nominated to LM a hosted forum, or possibly some obscure private area (I think I'm technically an LM for the Modding Awards Committee discussion area - I don't think I deserve a badge for that). And you've still got the issue of confusing people who're viewing that persons profile (about where they are a moderator of).

Considering work actually done as an LM for a more selective award (medal) might make more sense, either as part of site awards, or as something that could be nominated like the bronze+ modding ones.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

There is indeed a very substantial difference in workloads depending on the forum a specific local moderator is managing. It should be a very small award if we automatically are going to give them to every LM. A badge is really too much, on that I have to concur with makanyane even for those who still look after a fairly busy forum. There is at least one positive thing to mention about an award, you probably get to keep it, where a badge would be temporary, depending on continuing as LM or not.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

An LM is given the position to enable him to do some limited housekeeping work in his allocated forum. No achievement is required to obtain that position, unless not having moderation interaction is regarded as such. Unless you can have badges for them that mention which forum they have permissions for that it's going to be a very confusing affair, the word "moderator" in the badge would see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Divus has no badge linked to it anymore - the citizen badge was linked to it by error (there never was a divus badge afaik) and the linkage got removed.

Here is how it looks using divus as primary display:

How obnoxious. When I ascend to the Pantheon as is foretold by ancient prophecy I shall demand such honors of the mortals. Until then, I will send burnt offerings to assuage our gods. I hope you like chicken...

An LM is given the position to enable him to do some limited housekeeping work in his allocated forum. No achievement is required to obtain that position, unless not having moderation interaction is regarded as such. Unless you can have badges for them that mention which forum they have permissions for that it's going to be a very confusing affair, the word "moderator" in the badge would see to that.
    This and in the age of declining usage of the LM designation in favor of officially recognized staff roles, it seems even more defunct. It was a different story ten years ago when we have four dozen modding communities running.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I hope you like chicken...
    I am rather partial to the provençale way of preparation if you would be so kind.

I am rather partial to the provençale way of preparation if you would be so kind.
    THUS SAYETH THE LORD! It shall be done according to thy will.

*Psst, Flinn, help me, you know I'm useless in the kitchen D:

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    *Psst, Flinn, help me, you know I'm useless in the kitchen D:
    I'm a 2 Stars Michelin Chef, at your service sir
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I have two Michelin tires.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quick question: what would be the right award for a member for his years of service as LM? I'm asking because not all of them are modders and it could be a nice gesture for their work
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

if one has done something exceptional, there's always the Opifex or the Phalera, see the descriptions

Opifex
    Awarded for exceptional modding or other TW-related contributions to the board.
    Phalera
    Awarded for exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards.
    As I see it, what distinguishes between TW sections and non-TW sections, is if it's a mod/submod forum or not; in other words, technically speaking, someone who did great deeds as a local mod would be eligible for an Opifex or a Phalera depending on the section.
    But this is a non case, IMO, since I don't see how any LM can do anything exceptional in such role to the point to win themselves the right to be considered for a Large Award.
    Once more, what kind of regular job a LM would be doing to deserve themselves an award? Moving threads? .. the world "moderator" is deceiving here, it should be a sort of "housekeeper", no lack of respect intended. There could be some special places where doing LM stuff rises to a higher level, the PH&A comes to my mind, but then what? I was a LM there for 4 or 5 months before I actually became a Moderator .. and that's the point, if by any reason one is doing a notable work, they'll probably end up being approached for other official roles...

However, there's always the Man of the Hour award if someone does a single exceptional deed in the role of LM, or possibly the Laurel Award if Hex sees that said service is deserving a recognition... but then again, it has to be stretched far, in order to get there, IMO.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Once more, what kind of regular job a LM would be doing to deserve themselves an award? Moving threads?
    Well in my case it is something like this:

Reading everything that is being posted in the forum. Depending on what you come across doing one or more things of the following: Move threads, close threads, delete threads, move posts, delete posts, give answers to questions that are being asked in the forum when possible, alert Moderators or Modding hexes when there are problems and on occasion have discussions with them about certain situations, editing (mostly) First Posts on request when things need changing and the original poster is inactive.
    Everything you do is usually your own initiative. There is no Den to discuss things, although you might have one or two colleagues in the really big subforums, which was the case for me in the nearly 4 years I am LM in the TATW forum. The last year though, it's been much of a one man effort. However, traffic has declined considerably in that period so I can still manage it all. We might see an upturn in visitors in the TATW forum this month though.

Having said that, as I stated before there is a huge difference in size and activity when it comes to forums with active LM's. It's certainly not easy to decide on a one fits all award because of that. I would keep it a rather small award if any.
    Last edited by Veteraan; June 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM. Reason: miscalculated

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Reading everything that is being posted in the forum. Depending on what you come across doing one or more things of the following: Move threads, close threads, delete threads, move posts, delete posts, give answers to questions that are being asked in the forum when possible, alert Moderators or Modding hexes when there are problems and on occasion have discussions with them about certain situations, editing (mostly) First Posts on request when things need changing and the original poster is inactive.
    Everything you do is usually your own initiative. There is no Den to discuss things, although you might have one or two colleagues in the really big subforums, which was the case for me in the nearly 5 years I am LM in the TATW forum. The last year though, it's been much of a one man effort. However, traffic has declined considerably in that period so I can still manage it all. We might see an upturn in visitors in the TATW forum this month though.
    That's the kind of example that can be worth a Bronze Laurel for instance; but then again TATW is a very special case, the most popular mod EVER, that still attracts people even in these days of decadence... and if I'm not mistaken you have been offered once or twice a place in the Staff, which proves my point even further. Just to be clear, I'm not telling that few LMs might be deserving a recognition for a long and respected service, but it's not so consistent to grant the creation of a new award (it would just be the same as with the Legio 501 or the Modding Service award, a lot of potential on papers, but too little recipients for it). Either go for requesting Hex to consider a Laurel award, or try the luck with a Large award; even asking for a solid rep reward to Hex (like 150 reps) would do, IMO.

That's the kind of example that can be worth a Bronze Laurel for instance; but then again TATW is a very special case, the most popular mod EVER, that still attracts people even in these days of decadence... and if I'm not mistaken you have been offered once or twice a place in the Staff, which proves my point even further. Just to be clear, I'm not telling that few LMs might be deserving a recognition for a long and respected service, but it's not so consistent to grant the creation of a new award (it would just be the same as with the Legio 501 or the Modding Service award, a lot of potential on papers, but too little recipients for it). Either go for requesting Hex to consider a Laurel award, or try the luck with a Large award; even asking for a solid rep reward to Hex (like 150 reps) would do, IMO.
    I must correct my years of service as LM a bit as I miscalculated. It's four years, not five.

Anyway, I think we largely agree on a (im)possible LM award, let alone a badge:
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Having said that, as I stated before there is a huge difference in size and activity when it comes to forums with active LM's. It's certainly not easy to decide on a one fits all award because of that. I would keep it a rather small award if any.
    I don't think I was formally ever offered a place in the staff, which if fair enough as I never showed any interest in joining it. I have been asked to join Moderation though, several years ago. But then and now, I would have to stop doing other things to make time for staff or Moderation, provided I really wanted that in the first place.

As for awards, I will never ask for them. I know what I have contributed here and my LM work is not to be sneezed at, I dare to say. In effort and time it is still a minor part of my activities here.

We diverge a bit though, this is a discussion about reinstalling the LM badge, if that indeed existed and the possible alternatives for that, doing nothing included among them.
    Last edited by Veteraan; June 10, 2020 at 10:12 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't think I was formally ever offered a place in the staff, which if fair enough as I never showed any interest in joining it. I have been asked to join Moderation though, several years ago. But then and now, I would have to stop doing other things to make time for staff or Moderation, provided I really wanted that in the first place.
    I'm pretty sure I tried to lure you into Staff at the least once, and anyways Moderation is Staff

As for awards, I will never ask for them. I know what I have contributed here and my LM work is not to be sneezed at, I dare to say. In effort and time it is still a minor part of my activities here.
    Yes of course, no one would When I said "ask Hex for" I did not mean for yourself, but for others (I was still addressing Lifth's question, to be precise).

We diverge a bit though, this is a discussion about reinstalling the LM badge, if that indeed existed and the possible alternatives for that, doing nothing included among them.
    There never was such a badge, since it doesn't make sense at all; here is a list of active and past badges

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Damn, so I am now missing out on TWO badges? Must be a conspiracy, and seeing that the badges were discontinued round about the time you joined I also know whom to blame.
    Simetrical, I think - Removal of superflous badges. Or some such bill.

Geez I didn't even care about this until I heard that someone renown for wet blanket proposals was involved. I'm all in favor of undoing such wet blanket policies.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

There never was such a badge, since it doesn't make sense at all; here is a list of active and past badges
    I am 99 % sure that the Junior Moderator badge was used for LM's. Even Finlander remember that and like I said in the Townhall I could swear irishron had such a badge just before he joined Moderation back in 2011 or in 2012 (a wild guess would be either before or after the forum upgrade that took place in 2012/13 or was it 2014 as I don't remember what year) and that's before you joined TWC in Dec 2012.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Blog Entries

This doesn't change the fact that there never was a specific badge for Local Moderators, does it?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I oppose Local Moderator badges. I'll always support awards, though, for those who deserve them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast