Thread: What's the deal with Pavise (tower shield) spearmen being in universal use in 15th century ?

Default What's the deal with Pavise (tower shield) spearmen being in universal use in 15th century ?

As the title said, i'm a bit skeptical of this mod's apparent universal use of Pavise spearmen throught almost all European factions in the 15th century era.

Yes, Hussites, Italians and Central and Eastern Europeans used them but was it such a popular shield that was still widely used on battlefields after the 1450s? I always thought that they were relegated to sieges and crossbowmen after the 1450s.

That's because it's my belief that shields were largely abandoned by infantry in the second half of the 15th century and instead widely adopting polearms or pikes due to them adopting more armour.

So why does the mod depicts them as being so widely used by all in battlefield roles?

Default Re: What's the deal with Pavise (tower shield) spearmen being in universal use in 15th century ?

Pavise shields were pretty widespread in Western Europe. You can find them in records of inventories, artwork, and even artifacts. Pavise shields aren't only prevalent to a group in popular historical events. Its also the nature of a Total War game to provide players with a flexible roster of units.