Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes of Troy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Heroes of Troy

On Total War website they started posting details of different heroes featured in the game. So far, they only published details for Achilles and Hector. There are spots for 6 more figures.

Achilles:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHO IS HE?

Swift-footed Achilles, hero of The Iliad, was the mightiest warrior the world has ever known. His seeming invincibility in combat was the subject of much myth and conjecture. Legend claims that his mother, the sea-goddess Thetis, granted him invulnerability as an infant by dipping him into the waters of the Styx. Such was his might that no other man could lift his massive spear of Pelian ash.

Achilles was the famed leader of the Myrmidons, an elite fighting force from Phthia said to have been created by Zeus himself from a colony of ants. Fiercely loyal, they fought with ferocity and overcame insurmountable odds through sheer unflinching determination.

While Achilles’ presence could often turn the tide of battle, the Phthian champion was prone to great, unpredictable mood swings that could either shake or bolster the resolve of the Achaean host.

PLAYSTYLE

Homer called him Swift Achilles and justly so – the Living Legend is always on the offensive, seeking to defeat all challengers until no one’s left to dispute his supremacy.

But between the glory that has got to his head and the weight of his prophesized destiny, the epic hero has developed an equally epic temper.

Hot-blooded Achilles switches between moods of pride, grief, indignance and outrage and the consequences are shared by all under his command.

To truly conquer oneself is the biggest victory as the philosophers tell us, so the challenge in Achilles’ campaign is to manage his moods and position of renown, thus reaping benefits for both his realm and armies.

His elite light and medium units are best suited for lightning offensive early on but would be valuable even against heavy defenders if used tactically later.

START LOCATION

As the campaign starts, Achilles faces an Ellopian army as it invades Phthia from the south. He must push them back to the isle of Euboea and then consider the opportunities for northern expansion, provided by the wealthy but meek Magnetes and Pelasgiotes. To the north-west, the Thessalians can be either a powerful ally or a worthy conquest.

To the south, Achilles has powerful friends – Ajax the Lesser and his father Oileus. To the east, amidst the Aegean, lies the isle of Skyros, domain of King Lycomedes, where Achilles found sanctuary in the not-so-distant past.

WHAT KIND OF PLAYER IS HE FOR?

The mightiest warrior of The Iliad, but also hot tempered and unpredictable, Achilles is for the risk-takers who prefer to seek out powerful adversaries and overcome them via the elite units at their disposal.

Hector:

WHO IS HE?

Hector, the Shining Helm champion of Troy and heir to King Priam, had forged a reputation as one of the world’s finest warriors at the onset of the Trojan War.

The prince was renowned for courage and unwavering devotion, leading the war effort against the Achaeans despite his objections to the conflict. Likewise, when Paris returned with King Menelaus’ wife Helen, Hector voiced his disapproval but stood by his younger brother.

The noble warrior, raised from birth to lead his father’s armies, was feared by his enemies and could turn the tide of battle through sheer bravado and military cunning. Wearing ornate bronze armour and carrying a shield, he wielded his mighty spear with skill and ferocity.

PLAYSTYLE

Hector is the dutiful son Trojan who would fulfil his father’s ambitions by restoring the Assuwan League of western Anatolia under the banner of Troy.

His playstyle is defined by a slow build-up with the help of an ever-growing network of alliances.

He must resolve the issue of succession with his wayward brother Paris through the “Priam’s Heir” faction mechanic, which grants a kingdom as its ultimate prize.

Whichever brother gains the favour of the old king will get to rule over the other and become the ultimate ruler of Troy.

Hector commands some of the best heavy bronze units in the game and so his strategic goal would be to bide time until he can field them and sweep the map.

START LOCATION

Stalwart Hector must reconquer the Trojan city of Gargara from the clutches of the Makarian Aetolians.

At the same time, the son of Priam must choose sides among the factions who are warring around him.

Does Hector support Tereia in their ongoing conflict against the Aegean Pelasgians to the east? Does he march north to aid the honourable Phaenops against the Manyan Phrygians? Or does he sail to the isle of Lesbos and claim its riches to help the Trojan cause?

Any decision he makes must strengthen the alliance behind Troy, for only through unity can sacred Ilion hope to survive.

The Champion of Troy, Hector is well-suited to defensive masters who prefer to gradually wear down the opponent before landing the killing blow. As a prince he can also rely on diplomacy to forge a league of allies.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; June 02, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Heroes of Troy

Look, I am not a SJW at all. But... why are they all so pasty white? Neither our ancestors nor the Phoenicians, not anyone was as white at the time. Genetics aside, people worked on the fields. What I mean is that even proto-Celts and Northern people at the time would be darker.
    And We're talking about the Myceans which even now are darker and the Phoenicians that while I haven't seen anyone, are from the Levant and so far very unlikely to be blond and white.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Well, I don't think the nobility worked in the fields. In fact, paler skin has been traditionally recognized in Mesopotamia, Egypt and elsewhere as the element that differentiates the elites and the lower classes. That being said, I agree that the legendary heroes look more like the actors of the movie than the indigenous inhabitants (especially, clown Helene), but I personally find this a very minor issue. Why are you mentioning the Phoenicians though. Neither the Trojans nor their allies were supposed to represent the people of Phoenicia. If we assume that an Achaean invasion did indeed occur during the 12th century BC, as the premise of the game accepts, then the opponents of Agamemnon and co. must have belonged to the Luwian cultural and linguistic group.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Neither the Trojans nor their allies were supposed to represent the people of Phoenicia. If we assume that an Achaean invasion did indeed occur during the 12th century BC, as the premise of the game accepts, then the opponents of Agamemnon and co. must have belonged to the Luwian cultural and linguistic group.
    What?! Isn't Troy a Phoenician colony?

Also, nobles did work on the field, supervising people or trained in yards. The "nobles" of the time were little more than village leaders in most cases. The "big cities" of the uberkings had like 1500-2000 people IIRC. There was certainly not enough population for the rank-and-file noble to spend his time in leisure in a grand palace while a caste of administrators was running things and overseeing workers, construction etc. They were certainly less tan than the average peasant, but they were working and living outside a lot. Structures from the era are tiny. Odysseus palace is about big as my parent's house.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

It is me, or is the game.. ugly? I'm really not impressed from the trailer this time

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    It is me, or is the game.. ugly? I'm really not impressed from the trailer this time
    Yup....all characters seem little off to me. Hector and Achilles to me look like complete brunt brutes. Paris....ugly and Helena with that costume. It is not the detail of animation, more little the art style this time. I don´t know honestly...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

This artwork seems to cover the major heroes we will see in the game. To the left, the big guy is obviously Achilles. On the bottom, we see Agamemnon with the horny helmet. On top of him, we likely see Odysseus. On top of him? Menelaus? To the right, the big guy is obviously Hector. The bottom guy with the bow is likely Paris. The guy above him? Deiphobus?
    The Armenian Issue

The fourth Achaean lord is Menelaus. Zero doubt about that, as he has already been revealed as one of the eight playable factions since September or October, if I remember correctly. In what concerns the Trojans, we know at least three of them, Hector, Paris and Aeneas. As for the last one, it could be Deiphobus, but that seems unlikely, in my opinion, as Deiphobus was also from Troy. Some have guessed Rhesus of Thrace or Memnon, but, in my opinion, the strongest candidate is Sarpedon of Lycia. It's a bit weird that Creative Assembly has yet to confirm all the eight playable lords. I suppose they probably forgot about it.

Add probably Penthesilea as Queen of Amazons She assisted with siege of Troy...

Yeah, Penthesilea and her Amazons will be the day-1 DLC. To be expected, honestly, given how popular female warriors are. Anyway, I just discovered a list with the eight legendary lords for Troy, which confirms the identity of every one of them. To be precise, technically only Achilles and Hector have been revealed, but you can easily find the names of the rest, by reading the link of each, specific picture. The gentleman behind Paris is indeed Aeneas, while the one with the goatee is Sarpedon, so we now know all eight playable factions. The catalogue is not flawless, because the portraits of Menelaus and Paris have been accidentally replaced by duplicates of Sarpedon and Agamemnon, but that doesn't matter at all for detecting the remaining figures in that promotional poster.

To summarise, the eight starting heroes will be Agamemnon, Odysseus, Menelaus and Achilles for the Achaeans and Hector, Paris, Sarpedon and Aeneas for the Trojans. Makes sense, to be honest, these guys were the most recognizable protagonists in the epic and the 2004 film. Subsequent digital packs may add, besides Penthesilea, Memnon, Ajax or Nestor, but I suppose that this largely depends on the commercial success and the retention rates of the product, whose prospects don't seem particularly bright, following the EGGS controversy and the mediocre reviews.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Diomedes and Rhesus are other options for heroes to be added later.

Last edited by Daruwind; June 13, 2020 at 02:46 AM.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post

This game looks highly dissapointing. There is no history in here, and little myth. It is nothing. What happened to the artistry of older TW games? The creativity?

What? Can you elaborate?

For me its looking good, these are just heroes teasers.

And the battle and sieges trailers looks okay, not innovative, but interesting introducing new effects like focus on terrain, the more specialization on infantry and its abilities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoTw View Post
    What? Can you elaborate?

For me its looking good, these are just heroes teasers.

And the battle and sieges trailers looks okay, not innovative, but interesting introducing new effects like focus on terrain, the more specialization on infantry and its abilities, etc.
    The animations look awful. Their games are starting to look like cartoons. I remember the level of improvement between games before to this. They haven't made a proper historical game since Charlemagne.

I am genuinely dissapointed, I am not trying to be negative, I have loved TW for nearly 20 years.

Part of this is that the idea behind Saga games is not to be breakthrough in technology but to try new ideas in frame of current games.

ToB for example cannot compete content wise with R2/Attila/Wh/3K but there is one big but. If you have to recommend single game without tons of DLCs for new player. Say introductionary title, which one is better than ToB?

See it might be hard to market Wh(s) for example to new people. Despite everything they might think that without a few DLCs you are missing something, like ME..RoR...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    ToB for example cannot compete content wise with R2/Attila/Wh/3K but there is one big but. If you have to recommend single game without tons of DLCs for new player. Say introductionary title, which one is better than ToB?
    That's quite easy Medieval 2 or Rome 1

Troy proves that Total War isn't dead it just smells funny

Yeah, I don't want to offend all the hardworking employees of TW, I am sure they're all lovely people. I just, I haven't felt excited about a game from them since Attila/ Charlamagne. Historical immersion, I like feeling like I am being dropped into an historical context. And the animations and hero fighting of 3k and WH (obviously not a historical game but I gave it an honest go) look really bad to me. And this looks no different, I feel like the good old days of TW are over for me, but I am happy that some people still enjoy them I guess.

I have sort of moved on to Mount and Blade Bannerlord to satiate the vacuum TW has left, haha. But nothing will replace the initial magic I felt playing those earlier games, like Rome or medieval 2 or shogun 2.

Menelaus:

WHO IS HE?

Menelaus, son of the famed king Atreus, was the younger brother of Agamemnon of Mycenae and husband of Helen – the Spartan princess with which he ruled as king in Sparta. The two brothers rose to power after each married a princess of Sparta, thus securing an alliance with the Lacedaemonians.

Although not in his prime, Menelaus is still a mighty warrior who inspires awe and fear on the battlefield. Clad in heavy armour and wielding a great spear, he looks like the God of War’s equal.

Menelaus enters the Trojan War as the aggrieved party and is rightfully seeking bloody revenge on Prince Paris and his wayward wife. Even if it means bringing down the entire kingdom of Troy.

PLAYSTYLE

In Homer’s epic poem, Menelaus is the aggrieved husband who summons all of his Achaean warlords to honour the Tyndareus Oath and join arms with him to take Helen back.

Alongside his might as a warrior king, Menelaus has a powerful ability called Call to Arms – a unique mechanic which allows him to recruit units from the rosters of his defensive or military allies from any point on the map.

Focusing on fostering friendships and forging alliances directly results in an unsurpassed military versatility.

In addition, the Spartan Settlers mechanic allows Sparta to instantly colonize ruined settlements without sending an army and spending units. While the cost can be high based on distance, it enables Menelaus to unleash his wrath and raze enemy settlements without losing battle momentum.

START LOCATION

Spear-famed Menelaus must answer the slight to his honour dealt by Paris, the Trojan prince who dared steal his wife!

This audacious deed has shaken the very foundations of Menelaus’ authority in Lakedaimon. So he must take Helen back and assert his authority once more!

Once he has dealt with Paris, Menelaus can enjoy the comfort of neighbours and potential allies. He can also look to the south where mighty Tiryns holds Cythera island, blocking access to the treasures of Crete, which are beyond imagination.

Consolidating power at home, and beseeching Helen’s suitors to honour the Oath of Tyndareus and join you as allies are the necessary steps before you can exact your rightful vengeance and wage war on the perfidious Trojan princeling.

Glorious king Menelaus is the perfect choice for the strategists who prefer to utilize diplomacy and political maneuvering to expand their empire.

Paris:

WHO IS HE?

Paris, son of Priam and favourite of the goddess Aphrodite, is remembered for instigating the Trojan War by stealing beautiful Helen away from the Spartan king Menelaus and marrying her himself.

Despite this act of romantic hubris, the prince, much like his elder brother Hector, was a skilled warrior and clever military commander who was willing to sacrifice his life in service to his people. His new wife accompanied him wherever he went, supporting the efforts of her beloved husband at every opportunity.

Paris, like much of the Trojan nobility, learned to use a bow and lead his men from early childhood. On the battlefield he preferred to keep his distance, firing deadly arrows from afar. According to Paris brought down Achilles by mortally wounding him in the heel – the warrior’s only area of vulnerability.

PLAYSTYLE

Like Hector, Paris is a prince of Troy – one who was lost as a child and returned to regain his heritage later.

Paris competes for the succession of the Trojan throne as part of the “Priam’s heir” faction mechanic shared between the two princes. Both Paris and Hector need to fulfil tasks for Priam and accomplish deeds that gain his approval, which ultimately leads to being chosen as heir to Troy and confederating the realm of the other brother.

“Helen my love” is a mechanic unique to Paris. When Helen is moved from location to location for lavish fiests or other festivities this affects the populace in the region. But Helen must stay close to Paris so they can both be happy, as their moods affect the whole faction and the army led by Paris.

START LOCATION

Paris, the prodigal son of king Priam, has just returned from the kingdom of Sparta, bringing Helen, the wife of King Menelaus, as his own god-given wife.

The prince rules over the Troad from a well-built citadel, where beautiful Helen can stare out over the endless sea, while in the east Hector guards Troy and to the north kin and potential allies hold sway. Chief among them is Aeneas, who holds the Hellespont, and the god-touched prince Troilos, who protects the coast.

But from the south an Aeolian king has secured a foothold on Trojan soil and awaits Achaean reinforcements. This dangerous invader ravages the land from his base on Lesbos and must be dealt with first, before the storm of Achaean vengeance reaches the gates of Troy.

A favorite of the goddess Aphrodite, Paris is the antithesis of his brother and is for players who prefer to engage enemies from afar and defeat them through ranged superiority.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast