Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

Epic Store or Steam, they're giving it for free which is priceless for a lot of people that can hardly afford to buy such a game. That alone eliminates the impact of hurting the feelings of people who hate Epic Store or those that love Steam. Most of the people that whine about it will likely get that free copy anyways. It will be like one of those cases where someone calls the game crap and unplayable after accumulating 1000 hours on it...
    The Armenian Issue

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Yeah, they're giving it away for free. At launch. Which is quite the big deal
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Used2BRoz View Post
    3)Free for a day will mean millions of people downloading it, possibly playing a TW game for the first time. It will be interesting to see how many are still playing a week later. (My guess - not many.)
    4) DLC. What better way to get a game to pay for itself than give the first shot away free and then when people are hooked, keep selling them DLC for money.
    Small problem - if people aren't impressed by the first offering, then sales of DLC won't be that great. DLC only works for committed players.
    Well ToB was supposed to have a few DLCs too and in the end we got none. For Troy some are planned too and due to initial boosted sales CA will probably make some but question is how well they will sell after that.
    5) Moddability ? Maybe that'll be the big selling point if/when it is released on STEAM ? Maybe that's when any modding tools will be released ?
    You will have to manually find mods, put them in the right folder and manually update to new versions. Definitely donīt expect workshop on Epic anytime soon. CA will put there game launcher/mod manager but thatīs it. And Assembly Kit will be probably available. Question is number of experienced modders.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

When I asked CA to get creative with their saga titles, I didn't mean to sign the infamous deal that goes completely against they say it'll do and thereby cripple early adoption, which frankly seals its fate if ToB is any indication of what happens with such a start. Being free on day one, that said, will get it some attention. But I think it will simply fall into obscurity sooner than expected, if they expected much.

I have too much disappointment with EGS after supporting it super early on before it became evident exactly what that storefront would be. Total War, particularly an entry like this, simply lacks the appeal to overcome that, and so it's a pass. That said, I don't rule out getting it on day one exclusively to produce a review for it.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

CA did clarify that mod support will be given but it won't be on launch because there is no Epic Mod Workshop like Steam.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

CA said that modding workshop is on Epic roadmap ...ask yourself how high is priority for them.

But except that the rest is similar to other TWs..manual work with folders, moddb, nexus...

As it's free for 1 day we can all treat it as a time unlimited demo.

Free or not I personally see know need to have to sigh into ANOTHER gaming platform to to play a game I was interested in. Lot of other stuff going on on. A year is not that big a bit of time (though I thinks Steam sucks horse radishes big time for the most part. At least the game updates are fairly easy. I'll look again in a year and see what has transpired and then decide whether or not to buy the game.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Gaming is by now the biggest entertainment industry in the world, bigger than movies and bigger than music. It's pretty standard that this platform fragmentation occurs, I mean we have Netflix, HBO Go, Prime, Hulu, Disney and so many others for movies, it was going to happen for games as well.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Come on, Microsoft after years agree with Steam and games are moving there (Age of Empires Definitive Editions), EA also agreed and games are after years moving back to steam....

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-ga...eam-announced/

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/4/212...conquer-access

I have nothing against more stored,platforms. Just allow players to pict what they what,wherever they want...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Well ToB was supposed to have a few DLCs too and in the end we got none.
    What DLC could they have done? Norman invasion maybe, other than that I can't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by skillfultree View Post
    What DLC could they have done? Norman invasion maybe, other than that I can't see anything.
    First years of Alfred the Great comes to mind for sure.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Come on, Microsoft after years agree with Steam and games are moving there (Age of Empires Definitive Editions), EA also agreed and games are after years moving back to steam....

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-ga...eam-announced/

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/4/212...conquer-access

I have nothing against more stored,platforms. Just allow players to pict what they what,wherever they want...
    That's not how it's gonna work because you will always have some sort of exclusives and specifically generated content for a platform or another. Just like Game of Thrones is exclusive to HBO GO.

From my perspective, the current situation does not impact that much because Steam has about 90% of the games I play so I'm cool with that. But overall the market needs a bit of fresh air to be honest. More choice is better for the consumer.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Well... I joined steam because of Total War, and at the time I was pissed about having too... Now I love steam and have bought hundreds of games from them. I joined epic for a free copy of Subnautical, but I have never played it. This may be the first time I actually play a game on epic. Maybe I will grow to love it as much as steam, but for now steam has the advantage that most of their wrinkles are ironed out, where as Epic is still adding features that I would already take for granted from steam (mod workshop). In the worst case scenario I can get the game from epic for free and pay for it on Steam anyway. I doubt that will happen though... Frankly this is a really good move by epic that forces long time steam users out of their comfort zones, and it could pay off for them handsomely in the end.

Legend about why he wonīt be covering Troy. Plus some older stuff explanation etc.

I'm pretty happy about it to be honest for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I kind of like what I've seen so far in Troy's development. I have no misgivings about the neither pure history nor outright fantasy thing which seems to have upset a lor of people. It's first and foremost just a game and I have no idea why some people have this need for some kind of purity.

Secondly, I generally find Steam an unpleasant launcher to use these days since the big UI change last year alongside the increasing social media emphasis, so I stopped buying from Steam in annoyance and moved on to GOG, Origin, Epic. I no longer care anymore if any of them mine my data either. It's a free game too.

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status...94655744454658

Epic promised Conan Exiles then just week prior changed mind. It is just about money, they probably decided Conan is too much. So whatever were complains against steam years ago, today it is considered player friendly...

I find it extremely worrying that the game will be free.

A video game typically needs to sell in the first week of launch, with residual sales being just a drop in the revenue bucket. The fact that they actively try and get Troy on as many PC’s as possible can only mean a couple of things:

1) They go the Paradox way and deliver a skeleton game, with DLC’s giving the content
    2) They’ll sell the user data to third parties
    3) It will be drowned in ads.

All of these aren’t very good. As for the Epic Store… I don’t really care. I don’t use Epic since it hogs system resources as if it was malware, and I never got my GTA V and Civ 6 copies running due to overzealous DRM, and i’m more than happy to wait a year to get the games I want to play. I will probably check out Troy like I did with the Warhammer II free weekend, but my enthousiasm and hype for Troy has completely evaporated. It has every hallmark of being ToB 2 with a splash of Rome II upon release.

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterMoneta View Post
    I find it extremely worrying that the game will be free.

A video game typically needs to sell in the first week of launch, with residual sales being just a drop in the revenue bucket. The fact that they actively try and get Troy on as many PC’s as possible can only mean a couple of things:

1) They go the Paradox way and deliver a skeleton game, with DLC’s giving the content
    2) They’ll sell the user data to third parties
    3) It will be drowned in ads.

All of these aren’t very good. As for the Epic Store… I don’t really care. I don’t use Epic since it hogs system resources as if it was malware, and I never got my GTA V and Civ 6 copies running due to overzealous DRM, and i’m more than happy to wait a year to get the games I want to play. I will probably check out Troy like I did with the Warhammer II free weekend, but my enthousiasm and hype for Troy has completely evaporated. It has every hallmark of being ToB 2 with a splash of Rome II upon release.
    Or, as any sensible executive will tell you, CA is simply trying to play it safe in a time of economic hardship around the globe by making use of funds from an aggressive publisher to secure 2020 budget. None of your 3 points make sense within the context of Total War games.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    None of your 3 points make sense within the context of Total War games.
    Could you elaborate?

You haven't answered why the game will be free for the first 24 hours (I have no clue how your "Epic-money" sentence is relevant), nor have you explained why Sega wouldn't follow the road that Paradox is very successfully following.

EDIT: Actually, after reading your other posts on this forum, don't actually bother responding
    Last edited by JupiterMoneta; July 09, 2020 at 04:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast