Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

  1. #21
    Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    In my Mansion
    Posts
    3,039

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Although the epic Troygate has some funny memes:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...m_medium=web2x
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 02, 2020 at 12:46 PM.
    Proud Non-Citizen and Goth

    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. (Morticia Addams)


  2. #22
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    @Abdul:

    You have linked the wrong trailer.^^
    I have the right one...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co..._announcement/
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  3. #23
    Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress
    Posts
    7,179

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    I personally do not like the way the franchise is going towards. Sure, I will be playing 150% out of the existing titles, and TW is by far my favourite game & game series, but I don't like where it's going so I'm not gonna buy it.

    Pretty simple.

    I will check often on the games, reviews, videos and stuff but for me it's a skip. I think TW is slowly losing the edge it had in the market, focusing almost exclusively on Warhammer because it brought so much money.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

    Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

    Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

  4. #24
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    5,440
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    While Epic games doesn't have a workshop, saying that it literally cannot be modded is false. It is possible to mod it, but there won't be anything ala the Steam Workshop there.

    Oh hey, wasn't the Steam Workshop one of the major reasons for TWC's decline? If 2 and 2 are put together...
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman






  5. #25
    Jaketh's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,973

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    While Epic games doesn't have a workshop, saying that it literally cannot be modded is false. It is possible to mod it, but there won't be anything ala the Steam Workshop there.

    Oh hey, wasn't the Steam Workshop one of the major reasons for TWC's decline? If 2 and 2 are put together...
    I suspect the game will have such a small playerbase (initially) there simply wont be a market for many mods. With TWC being desolate i'm anticipating a handful of mods scattered around the Nexus and thats about it. If the game is still receiving attention in 2021 for the steam release perhaps the more popular mods will get ported to the workshop.

  6. #26
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    I will get it, in 2021 with all DLCs..but probably in some major sale. Problem is not Epic, I give no s about it but exclusivity is bad...Why not GOG and others? Because money..so let´s see what will happen with Troy in year..

    And with need to buy game again for steam, there is no plus for owning it for free. What about Assembly Kit?

    Well CA managed to create whole new drama
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  7. #27
    Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    While Epic games doesn't have a workshop, saying that it literally cannot be modded is false. It is possible to mod it, but there won't be anything ala the Steam Workshop there.

    Oh hey, wasn't the Steam Workshop one of the major reasons for TWC's decline? If 2 and 2 are put together...
    Will there be a launcher with a mod manager though ? That makes mods so much easier to use. Especially a title like Troy unlikely to have more than small tweaks mods.

  8. #28
    Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    2,123

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    The truth

    Here it is: A Total War Saga: TROY is an Epic Games Store exclusive for 12 months – and in order to sweeten the poison it will be available for free if you claim it in the first 24 hours.

    That’s right – we’re giving away TROY for free, to keep, as long as you claim it in the 24 hour window! Gotta prove this right!

    We’re really not that excited about TROY, but we’re even more excited that this will give less of you the chance to play and bug-curse it than steam might have had otherwise. While we know that most of you won’t like the Epic Games Store exclusivity, we feel like this is a great opportunity for us in a lot of way$$$, and we’re hoping that you’ll take some time to hear us out and for us to answer what some of the questions we think you might have. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it, though you still got plenty of time for creative (XD) backlash, and maaaaybe convince us to take back some foolish thoughts!

    First of all: this is an opportunity for TROY specifically, and we have no plans (unless money changes our mind again) for future games to be Epic exclusives. After all, you remember how well Rome 2 was at first. Still is! As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences (free beta testers) and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves (cursing, frustrations, buggy/impossible gameplay) rip offs etc.). As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players. This is part of that and in principal we’d like future Total War titles to be simultaneously available, from launch day, on as many store fronts as possible (you'd buy that for a dollar, AAAHAHA). That's the plan. Epic Games is a smaller community, but good enough to take the bug-heat that is now synonymous with every new Total War title at launch day. They actually launch backwards! So, 1 year later, Steam people will get it.... a bit better, and we won't have THAT many complaints! Happy now?

    Right now, this is a one-time, one-year exclusive deal for TROY. We’ve always said that Saga titles allow us to experiment (as if we could deliver a proper TW these days...), and this is an experiment on a grand scale (we're talking EPIC bugs on this one). TROY seemed like a good game to try this out with, especially as pre-orders aren’t live on Steam yet, so no one’s already put money into a store they’ll have to wait 12 extra months for it to appear on. It actually feels you people are learning from our previous launchings, by not pre-ordering. We wonder why...

    So now that’s out the way, here’s a little more backstory. We approached Epic and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. We immediately signed on the dotted line, cause money was the only reason that we did this (oh it issss!). It was an easy decision, and you can be assured that the differing opinions in the studio were fir.... considered, and a lot of discussions about it ('bout 5 seconds)– which largely focused on what it would mean for you, the beloved CUSTOMERS. The managing director signed this faster than his shadow did it!

    However, ultimately we considered two things. Money and MORE money!

    As mentioned, and like others in the industry, a key reason for exploring other digital stores is that we don’t want to be limited just to Steam. It's money we want. We also want to diversify our business, NOT our gaming development. In fact, we want to get our games onto as many stores as possible. Even fanfares. Long term, we want to expand where players still try to find Total War. This deal gives us a great way to try out other platforms, such as Epic – to see what money they make for us and what doesn’t. It allows us to get a feel for the cash flow required to expand to other platform$, and it’s relatively risk-free for you, too (us first), as the game’s available for free when claimed in the first 24 hours.

    This opportunity allows expansive back-end infrastructure development that will allow us to expand into multiple stores. That means we can have more MONEY, push ourselves further (April fool's) , be more creative (where to spend it all?....), make more Total War (that'll be the day). We’re always looking to evolve and improve on our money schemes and this deal gives us a lot of ways to do that – as we said, fresh perspectives, money that we’ll be putting back into the studio (suuuuuuure!), new ways to expand those creative fingers into your pockets.

    You might not immediately see a big change (like every time), but we’re confident you will over time – and we guarantee there are a lot of things behind the scenes being made possible due to this (accounting dept.), which we wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to do. Some of this is long-term (1st patch will come out in 2027)– but there are short-term benefits to you (payed DLC), and for sure to us.

    Making it available for free, for everyone to keep, during the first 24 hours – wouldn’t have been possible without this deal. This is actually for your own good!

    Finally, we’ve got just one favour to ask (it's free this time) – however you feel about this, please keep any criticism to the studio as a whole, and don’t take it out on individual employees that you might find on various social media platforms). We get it. It’s unexpected. But they’re not going to be able to change anything, and probably weren’t the ones who made the decision regardless. You see, we told you time and again that things would change for the better, but never did. So, you understand there's no going back. The line is signed.

    We really don't think you’ll love TROY, but hey, it’s free so definitely give it a shot, load one more platform on your pc, and beta-tes... play! If not, it’ll just be a year until it’s available on Steam and the mods that WILL try to drag it out of the hellhole it will have plummeted because of our creativity. Ultimately, we don't care if this is good for our players who most of them are on Steam (for the mods), but it is good for Creative Assembly, and therefore good for our pockets.

    Thank you for reading.
    Criticism is good, until we say otherwise.

  9. #29
    Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Since the game is free during the first 24H, I suppose I am going to get it for free on my account and then forget about it. First I need to rewrite my password on Epic. I created an account to get GTA V for free a couple of days ago and I already forgot about it.

  10. #30
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,175

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    To be sincere, guys, I don't understand the exclusivity complaints. Since Empire (2009), Total War games have been exclusive to Steam, so, from that perspective, this is a small baby step forwards. I agree that eggs is a less friendly platform than Steam, but I think that the crux of the matter lies more with the fact that we are obliged to use an intermediary to enjoy products, which we have legally purchased, than with each competitor's advantages and special features.

    Anyway, the entire controversy obscured the rest of the news, but Creative Assembly also announced the first DLC for Troy, which will focus on Amazons. When Penthesilea was not included in the four starting legendary heroes of the Trojans, I was certain that she was planned as one of the first lord packs. By the way, has anybody noticed that the name of the fourth chap still remains unknown. Feels kinda bad to be so ignored, while the rest enjoy prominent roles in trailers and elegant 2D art. It's probably Sarpedon, but an official confirmation would be welcome.

  11. #31
    Souron's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    The Shire
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    i wouldnt really mind the game ALSO being on epic but having to wait an extra year to have a game on your platform of choosing isnt great in my opinion. Its more so it makes the game feel less like a work of passion and more of a rushed cash grab. probs a bad take but it just gives off some odd vibes to me.

    Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

  12. #32
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Ye Abdul, but when Steam started, it was about "Steam vs no Steam", now Steam evolved alittle and question is "how many apps you want in your PC". Steam, Origin, Blizzard, Epic, GOG list is ever growing.....This is in the end question for everyone to answer. For me steam offers mods, achievements (my inner kid is dumb ) and so far i had no bad issues there..And I hate practices of some companies. I just don´t like this exclusivity if there is no reason except money. Even if I would have to pay more. There is even no compatibility issue (mac vs pc, console porting....) just money.

    But get it and have fun guys really I waited for AoE DE and others to hit steam, I will wait here as well...

    EDIT:
    best summary
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 02, 2020 at 05:55 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  13. #33
    Huberto's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,276

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    I personally do not like the way the franchise is going towards. Sure, I will be playing 150% out of the existing titles, and TW is by far my favourite game & game series, but I don't like where it's going so I'm not gonna buy it.

    Pretty simple.

    I will check often on the games, reviews, videos and stuff but for me it's a skip. I think TW is slowly losing the edge it had in the market, focusing almost exclusively on Warhammer because it brought so much money.
    Yes for me the light has gone out and made me for the first time question whether I'll even stick around as a fan.

    Look I've been obsessed with the bronze age, fabulous TW setting, but Troy just seems like low budget schlock. Epic Store exclusivity doesn't improve on this image. So yeah, I'm kind of despairing, and with no China expansion on the horizon except bloody Romance chapters, I feel like Skyrim Grandma sitting through Fallout 4 and 76 and Starfield hoping they get back to TES at some point before I go gently into that good night...

    It's not that I think TW shouldn't change, good Lord please innovate and iterate, but CA drove the series down an easy path to get bigger: superheroes, monsters, magic, micro battles, "cool" animations. I have enjoyed 3K but it's also weighed down by catering to Dynasty Warriors fans. And now I'm a beached whale again in the era of Warhammer, which has been going FOREVER with no end in sight, hoping that somehow a life giving tide wash me out to sea again in 2023. Better just to move on I think.
    Au revoir!

  14. #34
    Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,673

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    I'm surprised that they're offering this free, to keep. I look forward to trying it. The percussiony music in the trailer (particularly from 1:30 onwards) reminds me a bit of the music in Rome: Total War.

    I'll be interested to see what the battles will be like, with the greater focus on infantry (since cavalry weren't a thing, except for chariots). I wonder if this will make infantry combat more tactically interesting, or will it be about having to click the right button at the right time (I like success in battle to based on clever tactics, rather than the player's reflexes, because my reflexes suck.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 03, 2020 at 01:50 AM.

  15. #35
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,175

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Best summary.
    I wasn't very impressed to be honest. Firstly, his certainty about that being a wise decision from a business perspective is arbitrary, as Creative Assembly may have alienated so many potential customers that their benefits from the advantageous deal with Eggs will be negated. I also disagree with his complaints about exclusivity. As I mentioned above, Total War games have been exclusive for Steam for one decade and yet, everyone that complained was derided as a whiner. I understand that Steam offers more advantages, but the crux of the matter remains essentially the same for the consumer: You are forced to rely on an intermediary, whose intentions, present and future, do not necessarily coincide with yours, despite having legally purchased the product.

    Anyway, it's interesting to note that, for a change, I'm the most positive here. I think the main reason is because I never had very high expectations for Troy. The setting never interested me and the Saga franchise has always been marked by a more limited and less ambitious vision. This is why, after all, it has been developed by a studio located in the European Union country with the lowest minimum wages, so I doubt it was ever intended to be similar content-wise to the flagships of the historical and fantasy titles, Three Kingdoms included. However, now that it will be free on August 13, I can easily download and play a campaign or two. Probably with Sarpedon, as I feel sorry for the way the poor Lycian ruler has been neglected by the marketing team.

  16. #36
    Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress
    Posts
    7,179

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    It's not necessarily about exclusivity - before you just had Steam, when it went to Empire. It was more or less the only platform. Steam was exclusive because it was pretty much the only one. Soon enough many others appeared and with some of them like GOG being no DRM, that's perfect. Since you have choice, go on as many as possible.

    If TW would go to GOG or whatever else other digital platforms, go for it, why not? Just don't make it tied to one single place.

    I will skip it because I have no interest in the game to be honest.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

    Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country.

    Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

  17. #37
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    @Abdul
    Money wise for day1 sales it is really good decision. CA will get a way more money then with classical pre-ordering. Plus free game mean a lot bigger audition....way way bigger. After ToB meager launch a lot fans might wait to see reviews and how good the game is. This is totally circumventing it...

    However question is, how many DLCs is planned because let´s face it. Majority of those people is getting Troy because will be free not because they are fans of series...So if CA is not planning a lot DLCs, then there is no risk at all...

    Actually. Amazons are pre-order DLC? When the game is free? I would not be surprised if this time that DLC will be for full price...

    And at least for me, I don´t care on how many stored/shops the game is launch. I can even live with free promotion on Epic. But i would like to have choice to decide where to buy and run the game. Trully free is almost never anything....this is free with strings attached. I have no issue with other having fun and getting Troy for free but I would rather buy it for full price on platform I want and at the moment that is steam....

    So ultimately I don´t blame CA for using such opportunity. I blame Epic for being dicks and limiting CA for cash because let´s face it. Epic could offer them free promotion on their platform while on steam it would cost full money, but why is this opportunity not there? CA probably was not the one to limit it...
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 03, 2020 at 11:03 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  18. #38
    SturmChurro's Avatar Not Vault Boy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,680

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    By the way, for multiplayer players, this game isn't cross platform so apparently you have to buy it again if you want to actually play anyone on Steam. Imagine other TW titles as EPIC exclusive! You can almost be certain there will be more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    It's not necessarily about exclusivity - before you just had Steam, when it went to Empire. It was more or less the only platform. Steam was exclusive because it was pretty much the only one. Soon enough many others appeared and with some of them like GOG being no DRM, that's perfect. Since you have choice, go on as many as possible.

    If TW would go to GOG or whatever else other digital platforms, go for it, why not? Just don't make it tied to one single place.

    I will skip it because I have no interest in the game to be honest.
    They got offered a large bag of cash, simple as that. They can try to justify it all they want, "experiment" with other platforms. Yeah, uh huh.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; June 03, 2020 at 01:07 PM.

  19. #39
    Zaar's Avatar Miles
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    Well on the first glance, epic is for games what the new finance investments did the last decades in the world, buying,changing, selling. Thats the new face of capitalism, like gates, blackrock and so on and on. They have fonds and bonds to make more and more and more money, so epic is from this kitchen. The only reason i like epic (i even can´t register there) is, that they want to kick steam out and yep, i really hate steam from the first day and i am glad that the founders dollarmilkingcow will hopefully end soon. The enemy of my enemy is my friend? ;D
    And really.... they don´t give a crap about modders and fans. Just ignore it unless you love bugs

  20. #40

    Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

    A few random thoughts.

    1) So far nobody commenting has said they also belong to Epic Game Store. I'd be interested to hear of people's experience of the platform.
    2) Epic has slightly more than 100 Million registered users whereas Steam has over a Billion.
    Obviously the number of active users is much less, doubtless many are duplicate (or more) accounts, but proportionately Epic is about one tenth the size of Steam, but is slowly gaining ground.
    3)Free for a day will mean millions of people downloading it, possibly playing a TW game for the first time. It will be interesting to see how many are still playing a week later. (My guess - not many.)
    4) DLC. What better way to get a game to pay for itself than give the first shot away free and then when people are hooked, keep selling them DLC for money.
    Small problem - if people aren't impressed by the first offering, then sales of DLC won't be that great. DLC only works for committed players.
    5) Moddability ? Maybe that'll be the big selling point if/when it is released on STEAM ? Maybe that's when any modding tools will be released ?
    6) But TBH having seen Jackie Fish playing an advanced build it looks pretty boring and adding heroes to the battlefield really puts me off.
    I'm also puzzled what the Campaign will consist of.

    So not for me this time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •