Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: Troy to be EPIC store exclusive for 1 year

Keep in mind that while Total War has been very successful, until Empire Total War they did not have proper mainstream success. They went all out on ETW and it made a significant splash, for good reasons and for bad reasons. ETW was also an enormous amount of resources and a proper refinement only was out there with Shogun 2.

Commercial success was achieved with Warhammer, competing with the likes of the biggest publishers.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterMoneta View Post
    Could you elaborate?

You haven't answered why the game will be free for the first 24 hours (I have no clue how your "Epic-money" sentence is relevant), nor have you explained why Sega wouldn't follow the road that Paradox is very successfully following.

EDIT: Actually, after reading your other posts on this forum, don't actually bother responding
    1) There is no logic to adding features in DLCs for a Total War game. CA never done it. What are they gonna do? Sell you a DLC where you can build walls for sieges?
    2) What user data does a Total War game collects that no other application already doesn't?
    3) No computer game like this uses ads in-game. There is no basis for this application.

The game would be free in the first 24 hours to attract a lot of people to downloading Epic Games program which would in turn expose those players to other games in Epic Games' library. Epic Games is likely paying a commission to CA for each game downloaded in Epic Games in that first 24 hours. So, its a guaranteed revenue for CA in a time of economic downturn. Paradox produces DLC that contain features for games like Cities:Skylines. It's the most frustrating part of that game's development. I'm not sure how its a success.
    The Armenian Issue

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    1) There is no logic to adding features in DLCs for a Total War game. CA never done it. What are they gonna do? Sell you a DLC where you can build walls for sieges?
    Like blood DLCs?

Well not sure how closely you follow DLCs for Warhammer for example but pretty sure they are adding "new" features....island battles, dynamic spawn via scripts, undercities/pirate coves, various unique mechanics like Eltharion/Grom... but fair enough, nothing like naval warfare DLC, siege battles 2.0..

The game would be free in the first 24 hours to attract a lot of people to downloading Epic Games program which would in turn expose those players to other games in Epic Games' library. Epic Games is likely paying a commission to CA for each game downloaded in Epic Games in that first 24 hours. So, its a guaranteed revenue for CA in a time of economic downturn. Paradox produces DLC that contain features for games like Cities:Skylines. It's the most frustrating part of that game's development. I'm not sure how its a success.
    I fully agree with your economic assessment but despite that I cannot overcome 2 points
    1)I would be fully happy if Troy launch at the same time at steam without any "free event" and I have to buy it for full. I don´t care, I was ready to pre-order anyway. I just won´t personally try shop, willing to use such predatory tactics like a year exclusive.
    2)EPIC is garbage service by current standards. Remember how many people were against Steam a decade ago? Well Steam matured and I´m just old enough to be not treated like garbage. Nope. I can pass. My choice.
    --------------
    3)Don´t even try saying "free stuff". It is free stuff with "if"..condition so it is not trully free no matter how anybody spins it.

But the move is great for CA, will bring more money than they projected anyway...just question is, if majority of those people getting Troy for free will even try something other. If ultimate benefit is for Epic (getting more sheeps) or for CA (getting more long term customers..)
    Last edited by Daruwind; July 10, 2020 at 02:18 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Bad move, now I don't even wonder if I buy the game or not. Definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Like blood DLCs?
    Well not sure how closely you follow DLCs for Warhammer for example but pretty sure they are adding "new" features....island battles, dynamic spawn via scripts, undercities/pirate coves, various unique mechanics like Eltharion/Grom... but fair enough, nothing like naval warfare DLC, siege battles 2.0..
    I fully agree with your economic assessment but despite that I cannot overcome 2 points
    1)I would be fully happy if Troy launch at the same time at steam without any "free event" and I have to buy it for full. I don´t care, I was ready to pre-order anyway. I just won´t personally try shop, willing to use such predatory tactics like a year exclusive.
    2)EPIC is garbage service by current standards. Remember how many people were against Steam a decade ago? Well Steam matured and I´m just old enough to be not treated like garbage. Nope. I can pass. My choice.
    --------------
    3)Don´t even try saying "free stuff". It is free stuff with "if"..condition so it is not trully free no matter how anybody spins it.
    But the move is great for CA, will bring more money than they projected anyway...just question is, if majority of those people getting Troy for free will even try something other. If ultimate benefit is for Epic (getting more sheeps) or for CA (getting more long term customers..)
    The blood DLC is due to age restrictions and its mostly cosmetic. I can't classify it as a feature.

If I'm not mistaken the Warhammer DLCs revolve around new factions and lords. Some factions might come with unique mechanics for sure but that's more a part of that content. It doesn't apply to the entirety of the gameplay. As far as I know, island battles were added to the game as part of a free update.

Exclusivity is very important in these deals. If Epic Games is paying up for each downloaded game they will certainly want exclusivity for a period of time to maximize the number of potential customers they interact.

Steam matured because of the resources people like us sticking with Steam granted them. Epic Games is no different.

It is free stuff. Period. If someone handing out smartphones in front of the mall but they only do it for a day does it mean the smartphone you got on that day was not free?
    The Armenian Issue

Just for clarity, Creative Assembly has actually never claimed that the Blood DLC is sold separately, due to age restrictions. That excuse is one of the few reddit myths, fan create, in order to justify a specific narrative of one-dimensional benevolence, similarly to how naval battles were removed from Warhammer, because of copyright limitations, or that the Games Workshop was allegedly responsible for CA not revealing her future plans on Warhammer II. A couple of months ago, a member did a small investigation, studying the actual policy of the rating institutions, as well as contacting them for further explanations. His conclusion confirmed the obvious: Adding an extra price to a mechanic does not actually play any role in its rating.

Anyway, personally I'm fine with the Epic deal, as I would never pay for a seemingly mediocre and not very rich in content game, while the new partnership breaks the monopoly of Steam, which could have positive consequences for the consumer. However, I understand why some potential customers are frustrated, since, for instance, Mac users will not be able to play Troy before the summer of 2021. It would also be hilarious, if Epic actually changed the terms of the offer, as they did recently with another game.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Just for clarity, Creative Assembly has actually never claimed that the Blood DLC is sold separately, due to age restrictions. That excuse is one of the few reddit myths, fan create, in order to justify a specific narrative of one-dimensional benevolence, similarly to how naval battles were removed from Warhammer, because of copyright limitations, or that the Games Workshop was allegedly responsible for CA not revealing her future plans on Warhammer II. A couple of months ago, a member did a small investigation, studying the actual policy of the rating institutions, as well as contacting them for further explanations. His conclusion confirmed the obvious: Adding an extra price to a mechanic does not actually play any role in its rating.

Anyway, personally I'm fine with the Epic deal, as I would never pay for a seemingly mediocre and not very rich in content game, while the new partnership breaks the monopoly of Steam, which could have positive consequences for the consumer. However, I understand why some potential customers are frustrated, since, for instance, Mac users will not be able to play Troy before the summer of 2021. It would also be hilarious, if Epic actually changed the terms of the offer, as they did recently with another game.
    They did. It's rather pointless to compare it to naval battles though. If they didn't do it for age restriction they definitely should have. Putting it behind a credit card gives the responsibility to the parents.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234