Thread: Question about military academies (and why won't they work)

Default Question about military academies (and why won't they work)

So I am playing with macedon, and I built lvl3 academy which should give +2 experince levels to newly recruited generals... except it doesn't for some reason.
    I recruited a new army in the settlement that has the building, with a fresh new general and he didn't spawn with lvl 3 but lvl1 instead.
    the building that gives extra levels upon recruitment to agents is working just fine coincidentally.

any thought on what I am doing wrong or is this a know bug?

thanks for the replies

Default Re: Question about military academies (and why won't they work)

Yes the effect doesn't work for some existing generals after one of the last CA updates. It is a vanilla effect as far as I remember. I will recheck it.

I think I have seen others report the same problem so its not just your issue.

Welcome to the forums. In the future for bug reports/feedback we have dedicated threads for that to keep it organized. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dresden; June 02, 2020 at 02:23 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Yes the effect doesn't work for some reason after one of the last CA updates. It is a vanilla effect as far as I remember. I will recheck it.

I think I have seen others report the same problem so its not just your issue.

Welcome to the forums. In the future for bug reports/feedback we have dedicated threads for that to keep it organized. Thanks!
    Thanks. I actually had the same problem in my previous campaign, which i played in like jan or feb 2020 and it was one of the reasons why i stopped playing. i literally made this account just for this (i couldn't find anything on this issue by googling it), it's really annoying spending 30k on building chain and then it doesn't work :/

otherwise its an amazing mod, especially love the indian faction. but that feeling you get when you don't spawn your heir because you're waiting for those academies to finish instead of leveling him up already for 20 turns was just the last straw. fighting the spammed 2-3 roman armies as Maurya every 10 turns kinda got boring, especially when I saw the 50g upkeeps on those OP legionnaires lol.

sorry for the "rant" lol, l'll try to post such threads in bug report section, but i honestly hoped i was doing something wrong and that academies worked and i didnt figure it out how yet...

No worries, thanks for the report. I will see if I can do something about it perhaps.

Heres my two cents...

If I recall this correctly, it has something to do with the ancestral pack from CA. Saying, if the general is on your family tree then the bonus does not apply. If recruited from another faction, then it triggers. Tested this on Rome faction but I believe this trigger is universal. All your generala that have come on age should automaticly be spawned to capital, right? And then get the bonus from capitals academy, but no, it does not happen. And when you deploy him, no bonus... I would say this is a vanilla bug and should be very hard to impossible to make work by modding. Please prove me wrong...

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

I can confirm what @MrTimbe says. Bonus level works when general gets recruited from the pool. As a personal solution, I removed academy level bonus altogether and added significant amount of xp gain per turn instead. It feels more immersive that way rather than magical level up.

Quote Originally Posted by valerius karamanus View Post
    I can confirm what @MrTimbe says. Bonus level works when general gets recruited from the pool. As a personal solution, I removed academy level bonus altogether and added significant amount of xp gain per turn instead. It feels more immersive that way rather than magical level up.
    could you explain how to do that? I got 0 experience in coding or whatsoever is needed for such a change, and would really appreciate your instruction on this if it's possible

Ah I didn't read the details of your second post. Yes, if a general is already existing then he won't get the bonus. It has to be from the recruitment pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Ah I didn't read the details of your second post. Yes, if a general is already existing then he won't get the bonus. It has to be from the recruitment pool.
    no wait... what? are you saying if the individual was already born (or matured) before the academy was built, then even if he spawns for the first time as a general the bonus won't work? is that what you're trying to say?

because I never said I spawned the person onto the campaign map as a general before I spawned him in the city with academy... he existed in my family tree and i was buffing him with "praise", "vacation" and "do a favour" but I never spawned him...
    so I guess you read my post wrong/ assumed something wrong?

If he exists already in the family tree or anywhere in your political/character screen, he won't get the bonus when he is recruited on the campaign map. Its basically only when you are hiring new generals is how the effect works unfortunately.

An easy way to tell this would be to see if the general is costing you money to create. If it isn't, he won't get the bonus. I am not sure if that is a 100% foolproof way to tell but it may be helpful.