Page 9 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Lol because's that is absolutely the takeaway from what I said of course. Someone with the ability to think rationally would of course come away with that idea. I wasn't at all simply implying that of the many, many white people also participating in these acts, that there was most definitely some white supremacists mixed in.

But when a ton of white people are participating in looting a black neighborhood, it's quite possible some are taking advantage of an opportunity they'd otherwise not have in the modern era, and this time they can even blame the destruction on the black people inhabiting that area
    And it couldn't be because the Empire of Manbaby Trump is falling apart, which is , quite frankly, the more obvious reason.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

These exact things were going on for the entirety of Obama’s time in office. You can blame Trump for many things but no this. Weird to try to force him into every single issue, even those that preceded him.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    And it couldn't be because the Empire of Manbaby Trump is falling apart, which is , quite frankly, the more obvious reason.
    These protests are not hurting Trump. Not only are they solidifying his base right before an election, the left is split and the majority of the cities being damaged are Democrat run. Not to mention kicking COVID out of the headlines. If COVID cases spike, blame rioters. If they drop or stagnate, lockdown narrative destroyed.

Plus if these protests continue, especially in places like Oregon, Cali, Washington (where the police and leadership are soft on crime), Trump gets to send in the army and arrive on horseback to the castle Tywin Lannister style.
    Last edited by tgoodenow; May 31, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Not to mention kicking COVID out of the headlines. If COVID cases spike, blame rioters. If they drop or stagnate, lockdown narrative destroyed.
    Where is the outcry over people going out in a pandemic...

Officials blame 'out-of-state' agitators but those at the heart of protests are homegrown

“I want to be very, very clear: The people that are doing this are not Minneapolis residents,” Frey added. “They are coming in largely from outside of the city, from outside of the region, to prey on everything we have built over the last several decades.”

The narrative offers a simple, tidy explanation for violence that allows politicians to simultaneously support the ethos of the movement and the police officers trying to keep the peace.

But it’s not true. The overwhelming majority of people who posted on social media from the precinct fire and those arrested Friday night at the protests in the Twin Cities live in the area, according to USA TODAY's review of police jail records and more than 100,000 tweets.

In an analysis of more than 1,800 Twitter users who posted from within a 3-mile radius of the precinct fire on Thursday, 85% had a history of posting inside the greater Minneapolis area before George Floyd’s death. The data – which represent only a fraction of protesters and could include some people who were not directly involved – indicate most live or work nearby, not out of state.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/5300362002/
    It appears the irresponsible narratives pushed by some local officials seeking the path of least political resistance are inaccurate.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Offf...man...what should the communities do?
    Protesting works, but it's not a magical panacea.
    Displays of exemplary behaviour is necessary in overcoming the negative stereotype of being "mindlessly violent dangerous animals". You know, the opposite of fulfilling the predictions that racists make for them.
    Thirdly, and most importantly, waiting for old white people to die. Ensuring that America doesn't adopt a medical system that caters for its people helps this.

I have occasionally supported violence, even in situations that border on the absurd, as I am a man of deep, buttoned-down passion. But, this instance of violence is just so ridiculously counterproductive, that the only people it helps are racists. As it embeds them deeper into and reinforces their own prejudices and draws borderline racists into their ranks. That's where I draw the line when it comes to violence. DON'T HELP RACISTS.
    Last edited by chriscase; June 01, 2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: references to criminal activity removed
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    These protests are not hurting Trump. Not only are they solidifying his base right before an election, the left is split and the majority of the cities being damaged are Democrat run. Not to mention kicking COVID out of the headlines. If COVID cases spike, blame rioters. If they drop or stagnate, lockdown narrative destroyed.

Plus if these protests continue, especially in places like Oregon, Cali, Washington (where the police and leadership are soft on crime), Trump gets to send in the army and arrive on horseback to the castle Tywin Lannister style.
    This is what's wrong with American politics. And I laugh at the very idea of a serial draft dodger leading anything, let alone an army. The priority is what is hurting Americans not how the Manbaby feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Where is the outcry over people going out in a pandemic...
    With well over 100,000 dead I would have expected an outcry before then. Cheers (lifts glass of Dettol).

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    We can speculate as to the motivations for her choice of words. I think her broader point regarding how to effect political change and redress grievances without burning down cities is applicable to anywhere these riots are taking place. She was fairly direct: “When Dr. King was assassinated, we didn’t do this.”
    This may have been mentioned in the previous 9 pages, but she's completely wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_assassination_riots
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Once, US House speaker Nancy Pelosi called the protesters at Hong Kong "a beautiful sight to behold." Now, US politicians can enjoy that beautiful sight from their windows. lol

And Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman tweeted "I can't breathe" as an answer to her American counterpart. Chinese newspapers are also asking why US government is not negotiating with the protesters like they asked Chinese to do with Hong Kong protesters.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...floyd-protests

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    And Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman tweeted "I can't breathe" as an answer to her American counterpart.
    Oh Chinese manufacturing has started back again has it? Well, breathable air was good while it lasted.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Just for the record, and because it has come up n this thread a few times now.

Anybody who goes out and protests during a highly infectious disease pandemic, is an idiot. I said this during the lockdown protests, and I'm saying it again now. They're idiots who have let their personal anger put their friends and loved ones at risk.

Now whether that anger is justified or not... that's a whole other question. I would suggest that the fairly consistent repetition of these incidents suggests yes. The anger is justified, even if the assembling and rioting at this momentis not.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    Once, US House speaker Nancy Pelosi called the protesters at Hong Kong "a beautiful sight to behold." Now, US politicians can enjoy that beautiful sight from their windows. lol

And Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman tweeted "I can't breathe" as an answer to her American counterpart. Chinese newspapers are also asking why US government is not negotiating with the protesters like they asked Chinese to do with Hong Kong protesters.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...floyd-protests
    The attempts by various foreign powers to hijack George Floyd's death for their own ends are predictable. Nevertheless, one can hardly accuse the Chinese press of malpractice for drawing a false equivalence between the protests in the US and those in HK when the American press is persistently comparing the current unrest with the Michigan protest, BLM marches from 2016 or Kaepernick's kneeling.

That said, an interesting split has emerged on the left between those who are denouncing the riots and blaming out-of-state actors and "white supremacists" for the violence and those trying to argue that looting, the destruction of property and assault are necessary to effect change.

Whilst Nixon had the balls to talk to protesters, Bunker Boy prefers to hide. Not a single attempt made to address the issue or unite the nation.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/p...hip/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    That said, an interesting split has emerged on the left between those who are denouncing the riots and blaming out-of-state actors and "white supremacists" for the violence and those trying to argue that looting, the destruction of property and assault are necessary to effect change.
    Definitely an interesting thing to see. But I don't think the weird inability to explain the situation is limited to the left. I think everybody is struggling because race isn't a left/right thing, no matter how much we want to see the world through partisan lenses. We naturally try to explain the violence through our own biases, but it is causing cognitive dissonance.

I've watched with interest as Fox news has changed how it reports the situation a number of times. Each shift accompanied by new editorial and in depth content. I watch too much Fox. They struggled when the riots jumped from mainly Democrat governed cities into Republican ones, and even into foreign city streets governed by both left and right of centre governments. All of a sudden it wasn't "failing Dem mayors/governors" any more.

I have watched fascinating debates between right leaning friends over whether violence is justified if it is against government overreach - It really makes for twitchy eyes...

Mmm, all white people are white supremacists now? A tad racist.
    CNN were perfectly content for Van Jones (cable news commentator and so-called anti-racist) to claim that even "the most well-intentioned white person has a virus in his or her brain" and that it was too late for them to be "innocent". He also claimed that "white liberals" were more of threat than the "KKK". This sort of divisive rhetoric is why race relations cannot progress in the US. It is also why Michael Render had to tell CNN to stop encouraging inflaming racial tensions. And if it wasn't already obvious, the sort of incendiary attitudes voiced by Van Jones are projected solely to protect various incumbent interests, including those of the network he works for.

Once again... One way to move things forward would be to agree that there are inflammatory voices in both left and right media spheres. The problem is that both inflame their base, making it harder for middle grounds to be reached.

One of the problems in race relations, both in the US and globally, is that the debate on both sides is dominated by voices whom are either unable, or unwilling to self analyse or reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    Definitely an interesting thing to see. But I don't think the weird inability to explain the situation is limited to the left. I think everybody is struggling because race isn't a left/right thing, no matter how much we want to see the world through partisan lenses. We naturally try to explain the violence through our own biases, but it is causing cognitive dissonance.

I've watched with interest as Fox news has changed how it reports the situation a number of times. Each shift accompanied by new editorial and in depth content. I watch too much Fox. They struggled when the riots jumped from mainly Democrat governed cities into Republican ones, and even into foreign city streets governed by both left and right of centre governments. All of a sudden it wasn't "failing Dem mayors/governors" any more.

I have watched fascinating debates between right leaning friends over whether violence is justified if it is against government overreach - It really makes for twitchy eyes...
    You could make a case for physical resistance against a tyrannical state, but not for unrestricted violence/marauding against civilians and their businesses. It's true that conservatives and liberals have sniped at each other over GF's death and the subsequent riots (see the usual attempts to blame Trump above), but there isn't the same degree of dissonance on the right as there is on the left on this particular issue. What I think we're looking at it is a split between leftists and liberals on what racism is and how to confront it (not that either has even demonstrated racially malicious intent on Chavin's part).

You could make a case for physical resistance against a tyrannical state, but not for unrestricted violence/marauding against civilians and their businesses. It's true that conservatives and liberals have sniped at each other over GF's death and the subsequent riots (see the usual attempts to blame Trump above), but there isn't the same degree of dissonance on the right as there is on the left on this particular issue. What I think we're looking at it is a split between leftists and liberals on what racism is and how to confront it (not that either has even demonstrated racially malicious intent on Chavin's part).

I would like to pose this question. In the scenario posed in the link below, if the neighbourhood had reason to presume that the police were about to kill an unarmed man for no lawful reason, (from the video it would seem one could assume that) and had access to guns, could they reasonably use the threat of armed force to compel the police to de-escalate?

https://medium.com/@dawnls26/the-sto...e-b97b27857db3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ffic-stop.html

https://www.tpr.org/post/city-midlan...-anders-arrest
    Last edited by mongrel; June 01, 2020 at 06:00 AM.

I would like to pose this question. In the scenario posed in the link below, if the neighbourhood had reason to presume that the police were about to kill an unarmed man for no lawful reason, (from the video it would seem that way) and had access to guns, could they reasonably use the threat of armed force to compel the police to de-escalate?

https://medium.com/@dawnls26/the-sto...e-b97b27857db3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ffic-stop.html

https://www.tpr.org/post/city-midlan...-anders-arrest
    In theory yes, but proving that the "police were about to kill an unarmed man for no lawful reason" would be almost impossible; you can't assume that a police officer drawing his weapon shows intent to commit murder. Even in the Floyd case, if citizens had interceded on the victim's behalf to prevent his death, you still wouldn't be able to prove either that the police intended to kill Floyd or that he would have died as a consequence of their actions.
    Last edited by Cope; June 01, 2020 at 06:00 AM.

In theory yes, but proving that the "police were about to kill an unarmed man for no lawful reason" would be almost impossible; you can't assume that a police officer drawing his weapon shows intent to commit murder. Even in the Floyd case, if citizens had interceded on the victim's behalf to prevent his death, you still wouldn't be able to prove either that the police intended to kill Floyd or that he would have died as a consequence of their actions.
    So the 'right to bear arms' is pretty much toothless when one is defending one's self or the community against violent or potentially lethal actions by the state.