Page 6 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

An explosion is a force of nature without the ability to think critically, let alone think. Are you really trying to equate black people rioting and destroying their own homes with a dynamite explosion? Are black people, in your opinion, then so completely lacking in free will or the ability to identify a positive response (one that doesn't involve supporting burning down other black people's homes) that they are simply forced into rioting by their surrounding? Or perhaps they are completely capable of making more rational decisions, and people such as yourself are simply empowering a small group of pre-existing criminals just profiteering off the madness, by giving them a smokescreen to rationalize their criminal behavior with. Yes, many black people in America are rightfully protesting police brutality, and to suddenly use this situation as a means of supporting and rationalizing full-scale violent rioters who mostly have no interest in the actual topic being discussed is quite honestly sickening. Do you really think the people burning down and and looting a posh store like Alexander McQueen in Hollywood for valuable items give a about actually stopping police brutality?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I know you like to misconstrue so let me spell it out for you:

Mobs aren't individuals that can be reasoned with, they're *mobs*. And the way you avoid mobs is to stop setting up conditions for them to exist, and you do THAT by adressing the actual issues the people are begging you to resolve, instead of waiting for people to explode and complaining that they're being unreasonable when becomes a free for all.
    That's just people.

And tbh I'm glad they've finally had it again. It's seems like it's the only god damn way to get things to happen or even be noticed.
    Last edited by saxdude; May 31, 2020 at 01:42 AM.

Hmmm I hear there are some issues plaguing the citizens of Mexico. Let’s burn it down together to teach the government a lesson, saxdude. That’ll improve things.

If the only way to deal with an angry mob is to fix the thing they hate I guess the government should’ve just gave in to all those racist lynching mobs back in order to appease them and prevent the rampant destruction of property/loss of life that occurred.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Refusing to get the point I guess, eh whatever. But I would like to point out that not only has that happened several times already (including just three months ago), it's actually managed to make the goverment give slightly more of a .

Ahhh I see, that’s great news! Mexico has discovered that maybe, potentially getting their government to potentially give slightly more of a about an issue (even if no real solution has yet been found) is worth substantial amounts of violence, destruction and killing towards the very same people who are already victimized by the issue. I’m glad you’ve taught me this valuable lesson with your wise words And anecdotes from our neighbor to the south.

edit: I’m sorry I just can’t take any of you riot apologists seriously when your argument essentially boils down to “we need to protect black people from systematic and state-backed violence and terror by subjecting them to a mob’s violence and terror”. Like how can anyone in their right mind think that there’s any excuse for violent mobs destroying the livelihoods and homes of the people who are already the victim in this situation? If you’re swapping out the government’s institutional terror with much the same but via violent mobs is that somehow any better?
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; May 31, 2020 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Because when the democrats hold all the potions of power in a jurisdiction as they do in Minneapolis, it still seems to happen. This ruins your programming, because democrats good, Republicans racist. It destroys the narrative. This is Ilhan Omar's district. Your claims of "muh institutional racism" are hilarious, and I am laughing very hard. I am laughing at your arguments, they are silly.
    Yup, institutional racism is not something that can be easily eradicated regardless of who runs the government. Let me know if you have anything of substance to say instead of whining like this. I'm sure you find my arguments silly when you have nothing to say against them. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Once again, I never said anything about states. How come you keep missing that. But never mind, the Democrats have controlled Minneapolis since 1974. How many decades do they need to fix this problem?
    Not sure what that distinction matter. You seem to be clinging at straws there. The question I asked continues to stand. It's better if you not try to deflect. You practically blamed the incident on Democrats. Would it fare better if it was a place run by Republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    You have never proved me wrong. You've made me laugh a lot, but you have never proved me wrong.
    Well, true. I didn't prove you wrong. You did that, by copy pasting from the manual that showed a different procedure from what we see the officer do in the videos of the incident. So, yeah, the officer did not follow his training. I thanked you for showing that, didn't I?
    The Armenian Issue

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Nothing like a bit of mindless violence that reinforces negative racial stereotypes to move social progress back decades.
    If racial divisions weren't unbridgeable before this, they certainly are now. Good work everyone.
    ^this

Well, maybe their next protest won't turn into looting, would make it easier to sympathize with them.

what a year!

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Those demanding respect shouldn't begin by burning down buildings, looting stores and attacking police and fire crews. They aren't angry victimised citizens, they are bums, period. It would certainly be a reason for revoking any tax payers payments made to those caught acting in this way.

The way that a suspected criminal like Floyd was treated was disgusting, whether or not his death was directly due to asphyxiation by force. But systematic theft and destruction of both private and public property should not be tolerated because of political sensitivities, and those doing so punished severely. But given American prison system is already full and failing, a custodial sentence alone, is neither a deterrence nor a way of reform.

There is a large underclass in American society that will always be divided from the rest, the largest, but not exclusively being African Americans. Without significant intervention and social reform by government, this situation will only continue. This isn't just about police brutality, as the recent events demonstrate, its a social and cultural problem that runs right through American society.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by caratacus; May 31, 2020 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    If you don't want that to happen, then pay attention when they peacefully protest, pay attention to their grievances and fight to see that they're addressed.
    Whether or not I agree with a particular grievance is contingent on the circumstances. In this instance I agree that people were justified in demanding the arrest and prosecution of Chauvin, and I was glad to see them exercising their constitutional rights in service of that objective.

If you kept hitting me, despite me asking you to stop repeatedly while you denied that you were hitting me at all, what do you think I would do? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya or hit you back?
    You are entitled to defend yourself from an assault. You are not entitled to victimize innocent bystanders. The broader implication that the only route to change is through violence has not been evidenced by anyone in this thread.

Police say they didn't shoot their service weapons, but they could be full of crap. Much like how a likely police provocateur started vandalizing an AutoZone before the riots in Minneapolis started. Ask yourself what would the protestors gain from shooting themselves?
    There has been plenty of violence between civilians during the course of the riots, including attacks on local businesses and violent assaults (often by militant extremists) against other protesters and bystanders. Asking what the protesters would gain from shooting one another (we don't even know that the shooter(s) was a protester) is the same as asking what they'd gain from burning down their own communities. The answer is nothing. The claim that the police might have perpetrated the shootings and then lied about it will be dismissed as a conspiracy theory unless you have evidence stating otherwise.

Seeing as how cops have gotten off in court even in the face of blatantly obvious evidence in the past, I'm not holding my breath.
    I'm not asking you to hold your breath. I'm expecting you to wait for all the facts to come out in a trial before coming to a conclusion.

It's more than about one (or four) rogue cop(s), that much is obvious.

https://twitter.com/3ternalsuns/stat...52423037972480
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nypd-cop-c...opstories.html

Things are certainly getting out of hand.

Many cops are certainly doing their best to escalate the violence:

The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    I know you like to misconstrue so let me spell it out for you:

Mobs aren't individuals that can be reasoned with, they're *mobs*. And the way you avoid mobs is to stop setting up conditions for them to exist, and you do THAT by adressing the actual issues the people are begging you to resolve, instead of waiting for people to explode and complaining that they're being unreasonable when becomes a free for all.
    That's just people.

And tbh I'm glad they've finally had it again. It's seems like it's the only god damn way to get things to happen or even be noticed.
    are ypipo not listening to us because we commit far more crime than them ? nah dey just wasis n'

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Civitate

Let them keep doing what they're doing. Seriously. And record it. They're doing a lot to help keep these protests and riots on-going.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Non lethal crowd control is keeping this going?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Non lethal crowd control is keeping this going?
    Plowing cars into crowds is non-lethal now? Someone should go tell James Fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    are ypipo not listening to us because we commit far more crime than them ? nah dey just wasis n'
    RACE AND WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS IN THE UNITED STATES
    African Americans are only 13% of the American population but a majority of innocent defendants wrongfully convicted of crimes and later exonerated. They constitute 47% of the 1,900 exonerations listed in the National Registry of Exonerations (as of October 2016), and the great majority of more than 1,800 additional innocent defendants who were framed and convicted of crimes in 15 large-scale police scandals and later cleared in “group exonerations.”
    A Multi-Level Bayesian Analysis of Racial Bias in Police Shootings at the County-Level in the United States, 2011–2014
    The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average.

The statistics I'd love to see is the average number of bullets that come out of black suspects compared to white suspects.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    noooo! you're not supposed to loot Targets and Walmarts and Sports bars and from liquor stores and guns store entrepreneurs! go after those responsible!

*burns down police station*

Ahem *clears throat*...noooo! your not supposed to(x) when you should (y)!

pure concern trolling.
    The historical context is amazing.

Apparently they should only protest ways the majority want them to. That way they can be ignored.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The historical context is amazing.

Apparently they should only protest ways the majority want them to. That way they can be ignored.
    Remember the kneeling in the NFL? All to protest this very type of situation and they got hated for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Let them keep doing what they're doing. Seriously. And record it. They're doing a lot to help keep these protests and riots on-going.
    Which may well be damaging the Democrats electorally:

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Wasow, an assistant professor at the department of politics at Princeton
    Examining county-level voting patterns, I find that black-led protests in which some violence occurs are associated with a statistically significant decline in Democratic vote-share in the 1964, 1968 and 1972 presidential elections. Black-led nonviolent protests, by contrast, exhibit a statistically significant positive relationship with county-level Democratic vote-share in the same period. Further, I find that in the 1968 presidential election exposure to violent protests caused a decline in Democratic vote-share.

Examining counterfactual scenarios in the 1968 election, I estimate that fewer violent protests are associated with a substantially increased likelihood that the Democratic presidential nominee, Hubert Humphrey, would have beaten the Republican nominee, Richard Nixon. As African Americans were strongly identified with the Democratic party in this time period, my results suggest that, in at least some contexts, political violence by a subordinate group may contribute to a backlash among segments of the dominant group and encourage outcomes directly at odds with the preferences of the protestors/
    Source.