Page 14 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    To determine if black people are killed by police more than any other race, we would need to see evidence that breaks down the numbers of people killed by police every year per racial group.
    These links may be of interest…
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ings-database/
    https://vittana.org/42-shocking-poli...ity-statistics
    https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that African Americans were 2-2.5x more likely to be involved in fatal interactions with the police than white people. At the same time they were far more likely to interact with the police in the first place.
    Last edited by Cope; June 02, 2020 at 08:39 AM.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that African Americans were 2-2.5 more likely to be involved in fatal interactions with the police than white people. At the same time they were far more likely to interact with the police in the first place.
    I think a bigger problem is determining how many of those fatal interactions were justified shootings and which were not. Including justified shootings will skew the statistics.

Definitive statistics are hard to compile as most police departments are not obligated by any local, state, or federal law to report incidents or the circumstances involved. Perhaps Congress and the current administration will seek to rectify this. Equally as likely, perhaps I'll win the lottery tomorrow.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national...theres-a-catch

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Looks like Trump is facing the wrath of God for quite literally invading Holy Ground.

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde: "The President just used a Bible ... and one of the churches of my diocese without permission as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything our churches stand for....I am outraged." pic.twitter.com/yegcO7xoJ0

https://secondnexus.com/mariann-budd...ld-trump-bible
    Last edited by mongrel; June 02, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Former Vice President and Democratic candidate for President Joe Biden weighs in on our present distempers with this speech in Philadelphia this morning. (The speech commences at the 10:44 mark.)

Worthy sentiments but Good Lord this man is old which, I'll concede, is perhaps not a worthy sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by skh1 View Post
    Former Vice President and Democratic candidate for President Joe Biden weighs in on our present distempers with this speech in Philadelphia this morning. (The speech commences at the 10:44 mark.)

Worthy sentiments but Good Lord this man is old which, I'll concede, is perhaps not a worthy sentiment.
    Just heard it. He is as old as Gandalf, but he put across his point well. Why is Trump still in office?

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I haven’t looked at the other sources, but Wash Post says that 3,516 people who aren’t black have been shot, and 1,262 people who are black have been shot. This makes 13% of the population about 26% of all those shot by police, at a rate of 30 per million.

There’s a lot to unpack here, but it’s not evident from these stats alone that racist bias is the primary cause. It would be naive or even stupid for me to dismiss racism as a contributing factor, obviously.
    Last edited by Aexodus; June 02, 2020 at 10:45 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Well, at least Mr. Biden didn't fart this time. To answer Mongrel's question, President Trump will remain in office until January 20, 2021 unless he wins re-election which is why I find Mr. Biden's advanced age and frequently evident frailty so disconcerting.
    Last edited by skh1; June 02, 2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: clarification

The same old Dems with the same old speeches. Joe Biden had eight years as Obama's VP to enact significant criminal justice reform and didn't. Why anyone thinks an older, frailer version of the same man will produce different results is beyond me.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Looks like Trump is facing the wrath of God for quite literally invading Holy Ground.

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde: "The President just used a Bible ... and one of the churches of my diocese without permission as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything our churches stand for....I am outraged." pic.twitter.com/yegcO7xoJ0
    https://secondnexus.com/mariann-budd...ld-trump-bible
    No bias here I see.
    “This Need Not Be Our Normal”: Why Washington National Cathedral Published Such a Strong Statement About Trump
    “The racial overtones are clear, and they are building," says Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde. Published 31st July 2019

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/0...t-about-trump/

Budde says the cathedral’s leadership was also concerned that the President’s never-ending stream of invective was numbing the public to the effect his words have on public discourse. “The racial overtones are clear, and they are building,” she says. “Exhaustion leads to inactivity, and inactivity sometimes equates to complicity.”
    One wonders if so called spiritual leaders like Budde, see their role as building bridges and attending to the spiritual needs of the faithful, or fanning the flames of political discord and racial tension, the consequences of which led to her own church building being damaged. The American Anglican Church went down hill a long time ago, a path now being followed by its British equivalent.
    Last edited by caratacus; June 02, 2020 at 11:11 AM.

To provide a measure of balance and to juxtapose the two contending sides of the debate, here is President Trump in the Rose Garden yesterday with his reaction to the present crisis and his proposed solution. As President Trump has the actual responsibilty of the executive office while Mr. Biden has currently only the aspiration to obtain it, one notes a difference in tone.

As an aside, upon viewing the remarks of both Mr. Biden and President Trump, one wonders why the Founding Fathers thought to prescribe a minimum age for the Presidency but not a maximum one. Perhaps they could never have imagined we'd be so silly.
    Last edited by skh1; June 02, 2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Video not videoing

To provide a measure of balance and to juxtapose the two contending sides of the debate, here is President Trump in the Rose Garden yesterday with his reaction to the present crisis and his proposed solution. As President Trump has the actual responsibilty of the executive office while Mr. Biden has presently only the aspiration to obtain it, one notes a difference in tone.

As an aside, upon viewing the remarks of both Mr. Biden and President Trump, one wonders why the Founding Fathers thought to prescribe a minimum age for the Presidency but not a maximum one. Perhaps they could never have imagined we'd be so silly.
    And here's Trump in the bunker...

Huh, fancy that. And they claim the Left can't meme.

He's "in the bunker" because the Democrat mayor of DC is incapable of getting a handle of the protests. Now that he has called in the military because DC was incapable? Dictator.

Makes about as much sense as the liberals telling me that the protests are KKK members from out of state while they encourage their supporters to donate to the bail funds.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

If this guy was the candidate for the presidency, I think Trump would have serious problems, if he doesn't already. Why he isn't a candidate for the Democrats instead of "Old Creepy Joe" the snake oil salesman, I don't know.
    Cuomo: 'Police and mayor did not do their jobs last night'

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has just held a press conference - while the mayor of New York City was speaking to reporters alongside the city's police commissioner - to criticise both men.
    "The NYPD and the mayor did not do their job last night," says Cuomo, outraged over reports that the police stood by and allowed looters and vandals to commit crimes in Manhattan yesterday.

Nearly 700 arrests were made, the police commissioner said.
    "I think the mayor underestimates the scope of the problem and the duration of the problem. What happened in New York City was inexcusable,” Cuomo continues.

Cuomo also said he may "displace" the mayor and order the National Guard into New York City, a move that Mayor Bill de Blasio just vowed to prevent. BBC News

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Let’s support the riots then 4 pages later claim all the “real BLM supporters” are peaceful and that the rioters are right wing bad actors lol

Also mongrel what’s your opinion on Andrew Cuomo saying he’s going to order the National Guard into the city? Just curious.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; June 02, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/news/head-minn...222944681.html

So protesting George Floyd's death makes you part of a terrorist movement according to the head of Minneapolis's police union. Good to see this message of unity from a former police chief.
    Last edited by Vanoi; June 02, 2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Mixing up names

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Not quite sure who George Taylor is Vanoi
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Not quite sure who George Taylor is Vanoi
    Thanks, guess i got him mixed up with the Taylor who died. Any comment though on what Kroll said?