Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 1098

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

  1. #301
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Terrence Floyd took the bullhorn to condemn the looting and rioting that followed his brother’s death. He did not want fire and violence to obscure the deeper meaning that could be realized from his family’s tragedy. He wanted resolution, but one not marred by fury.
    “I’m not over here blowing up stuff,” he said, impassioned. “What are y’all doing? You’re doing nothing. That’s not going to bring my brother back.”

    “Educate yourself and know who you vote for. That’s how you’re going to get it. It’s a lot of us,” he said. “Do this peacefully.”

    https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...polis-memorial
    Rodney King made a similar appeal shortly after riots began in his name, to no avail, and the LAPD was accused of deliberately failing to intervene against the pillaging of the city. It’s a tragedy unto itself that Floyd, a man who was a victim of violence, will now be forever associated with this madness, his name emblazoned across burned out ruins from coast to coast.

  2. #302
    B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bayou country
    Posts
    3,055

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Well I watched the event commemorating Floyd today in Houston. Turns out it was a campaign rally for Joe Biden. According to Democratic Reps Al Green and Sheila Jackson Lee, Trump is the problem in these Democrat run cities. Who knew?

  3. #303
    Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4,758

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Took me a while to find this clip. Seems appropriate here

    Ignore List (to save time):

    Exarch

  4. #304
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Retired police captain David Dorn was murdered defending his friend’s jewelry store from looters. RIP
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  5. #305

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Rodney King made a similar appeal shortly after riots began in his name, to no avail, and the LAPD was accused of deliberately failing to intervene against the pillaging of the city. It’s a tragedy unto itself that Floyd, a man who was a victim of violence, will now be forever associated with this madness, his name emblazoned across burned out ruins from coast to coast.
    The legacy of Rodney King riots isn't over how terrible looting and rioting is. The legacy of those riots is that the result of leaving racial tension and injustice unaddressed can be explosive. Instead of obsessing over the looting opportunists, conservative pundits have yet again missed a chance to address and make amends over perceived grievances.

  6. #306

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Better than I was expecting.For one brief moment, he was thinking about Sanders. "It's not about me. It's about you.It's about us".
    ----

    God bless the White Supremacist in-Chief. God bless the Hater-in-Chief.
    Trump's Racism: An Oral History - The Atlantic
    New poll: 83% of African Americans say Trump is a racist - Axios
    And what is rhe relevance of this? George Floyd incidient occurred in a Democrarically controlled state wirh a Democratic mayoe and cops that were tained and controlled by local Democratic leaders. So how is Trump reaponaible?

    Obama had 8 years, and obviously failed according to the same blacks. Perhaps more success would have been achieved instead of treating incidents like George Floyd's as issues of racism, they were rightly treated as issues of cop behaviour and training.

    And perhaps if the same protesters had complained and demonstrated about the earlier shoting of an unarmed woman in her pajamas by a black Minnesota cop, the death of George Floyd could havw been avoided.

    Despite a complete lack of cooperation by the black officer into the Justine Damond shooting, the officer was never fired, and only resigned 8 months later when he was indicted by the grand jury. Officer Noor, reaponsible for the ahooting had pending complaints againat him for assaulting a woman at the tine of the shooting. It seems.like the Minnesota police department hadn't changed its ways. Maybe if groups lime BLM cared about all people instead of a privileged few changes would have been made.


    And as for what 83% of the African Americans believe, well, about the same number believed Trayvo Martin was shot because he was wearing a hoodie and if the roles had been reversed the outcome would have been different, neither of which was true*


    *Martin was shot because he was sitting on top of Zimmer pounding his head into the ground, not because he was wearing a hoodie. And years before the Martin shooting black neighborhood watchman Rodney Scott shot and killed an unarmed white student, and unlike Zimmer, Scott hadn't even been touched. Scott too was aquitted. Obama instead of informing the public of all facts instead fanned the flames of racial hatred and furthered racially polarized country. Whatever Trump has done is not a tenth as bad as Obama.






    The Afican American community commits 52% of murders in the US even though it makes up only 13% of the population, and the vast majority of those victims are black. The fhants of the Black Lives Matter movement will continue ro fall on deaf ears so long as they ignore the 90% of rhe blafk lives lost due to bkacks themselves. The only reason whites don't make up a higher percentage of victims is due to whites largerly separating themselves from the Aficsn Amererican community, and protests like this will only enfourage and reinforce.that behaviour.

    Instead of worrying about the actions of a few right wing extremist, you should worry about the actions of those who made US cities hotspots of crims, or at least worry about islamic extremist, who in just one attack in the US killed more people who than all the right wing extremist combined.

  7. #307

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Better than I was expecting.For one brief moment, he was thinking about Sanders. "It's not about me. It's about you.It's about us".
    ----

    God bless the White Supremacist in-Chief. God bless the Hater-in-Chief.
    Trump's Racism: An Oral History - The Atlantic
    New poll: 83% of African Americans say Trump is a racist - Axios
    And what is rhe relevance of this? George Floyd incidient occurred in a Democrarically controlled state wirh a Democratic mayoe and cops that were tained and controlled by local Democratic leaders. So how is Trump reaponaible?

    Obama had 8 years, and obviously failed according to the same blacks. Perhaps more success would have been achieved instead of treating incidents like George Floyd's as issues of racism, they were rightly treated as issues of cop behaviour and training.

    And perhaps if the same protesters had complained and demonstrated about the earlier shoting of an unarmed woman in her pajamas by a black Minnesota cop, the death of George Floyd could havw been avoided.

    Despite a complete lack of cooperation by the black officer into the Justine Damond shooting, the officer was never fired, and only resigned 8 months later when he was indicted by the grand jury. Officer Noor, reaponsible for the ahooting had pending complaints againat him for assaulting a woman at the tine of the shooting. It seems.like the Minnesota police department hadn't changed its ways. Maybe if groups lime BLM cared about all people instead of a privileged few changes would have been made.


    And as for what 83% of the African Americans believe, well, about the same number believed Trayvo Martin was shot because he was wearing a hoodie and if the roles had been reversed the outcome would have been different, neither of which was true*


    *Martin was shot because he was sitting on top of Zimmer pounding his head into the ground, not because he was wearing a hoodie. And years before the Martin shooting black neighborhood watchman Rodney Scott shot and killed an unarmed white student, and unlike Zimmer, Scott hadn't even been touched. Scott too was aquitted. Obama instead of informing the public of all facts instead fanned the flames of racial hatred and furthered racially polarized country. Whatever Trump has done is not a tenth as bad as Obama.






    The Afican American community commits 52% of murders in the US even though it makes up only 13% of the population, and the vast majority of those victims are black. The fhants of the Black Lives Matter movement will continue ro fall on deaf ears so long as they ignore the 90% of rhe blafk lives lost due to bkacks themselves. The only reason whites don't make up a higher percentage of victims is due to whites largerly separating themselves from the Aficsn Amererican community, and protests like this will only enfourage and reinforce.that behaviour.

    Instead of worrying about the actions of a few right wing extremist, you should worry about the actions of those who made US cities hotspots of crims, or at least worry about islamic extremist, who in just one attack in the US killed more people who than all the right wing extremist combined.

  8. #308

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Rodney King made a similar appeal shortly after riots began in his name, to no avail, and the LAPD was accused of deliberately failing to intervene against the pillaging of the city. It’s a tragedy unto itself that Floyd, a man who was a victim of violence, will now be forever associated with this madness, his name emblazoned across burned out ruins from coast to coast.
    Doubt that. This is more a Rosa Parkes moment, it's a given that society will no longer tolerate police murder, capricious policing, Karens and so forth.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  9. #309

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    And what is rhe relevance of this? George Floyd incidient occurred in a Democrarically controlled state wirh a Democratic mayoe and cops that were tained and controlled by local Democratic leaders. So how is Trump reaponaible?
    President Trump regularly shows solidarity with police, regardless of how guilty they are in perpetrating police brutality. He also has an unhealthy tolerance for White supremacists.

    Obama had 8 years, and obviously failed according to the same blacks. Perhaps more success would have been achieved instead of treating incidents like George Floyd's as issues of racism, they were rightly treated as issues of cop behaviour and training.
    Obama didn't call protesters looters or urge Governors to deploy the military. Trump also closed one of Obama's police reform programs.

    And perhaps if the same protesters had complained and demonstrated about the earlier shoting of an unarmed woman in her pajamas by a black Minnesota cop, the death of George Floyd could havw been avoided.
    This is nonsensical.

    Despite a complete lack of cooperation by the black officer into the Justine Damond shooting, the officer was never fired, and only resigned 8 months later when he was indicted by the grand jury. Officer Noor, reaponsible for the ahooting had pending complaints againat him for assaulting a woman at the tine of the shooting. It seems.like the Minnesota police department hadn't changed its ways. Maybe if groups lime BLM cared about all people instead of a privileged few changes would have been made.
    Drawing lines where none exist. When did BLM say that police brutality towards whites does not matter? They didn't. This is akin to accusing rainforest activists of being okay with letting other types of forests burn.


    And as for what 83% of the African Americans believe, well, about the same number believed Trayvo Martin was shot because he was wearing a hoodie and if the roles had been reversed the outcome would have been different, neither of which was true*


    *Martin was shot because he was sitting on top of Zimmer pounding his head into the ground, not because he was wearing a hoodie. And years before the Martin shooting black neighborhood watchman Rodney Scott shot and killed an unarmed white student, and unlike Zimmer, Scott hadn't even been touched. Scott too was aquitted. Obama instead of informing the public of all facts instead fanned the flames of racial hatred and furthered racially polarized country.
    This again. Martin was shot because Zimmerman followed him with a firearm. If Zimmerman did not follow Martin, Martin would've been alive.

    Whatever Trump has done is not a tenth as bad as Obama.
    Delusional.

    The Afican American community commits 52% of murders in the US even though it makes up only 13% of the population, and the vast majority of those victims are black. The fhants of the Black Lives Matter movement will continue ro fall on deaf ears so long as they ignore the 90% of rhe blafk lives lost due to bkacks themselves. The only reason whites don't make up a higher percentage of victims is due to whites largerly separating themselves from the Aficsn Amererican community, and protests like this will only enfourage and reinforce.that behaviour.

    Instead of worrying about the actions of a few right wing extremist, you should worry about the actions of those who made US cities hotspots of crims, or at least worry about islamic extremist, who in just one attack in the US killed more people who than all the right wing extremist combined.
    Black-on-Black crime is not exactly an issue. This is misinterpretation of data. The reason why the majority of victims of Black homicide are also Black, is due to the fact that most homicide is interracial. Majority of Hispanic victims are other Hispanics, Blacks on Blacks, Whites on Whites. Moreover, Black Lives Matter is primarily concerned with how the Justice System treats African Americans and other minorities. It's a completely separate issue from Black on Black violence, or White on White violence, etc.


  10. #310
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    The legacy of Rodney King riots isn't over how terrible looting and rioting is. The legacy of those riots is that the result of leaving racial tension and injustice unaddressed can be explosive. Instead of obsessing over the looting opportunists, conservative pundits have yet again missed a chance to address and make amends over perceived grievances.
    As cited, leaders on both sides of the political aisle have condemned the violence and looting as unacceptable and counterproductive to the cause the protestors are seeking to advance. The false dichotomy between condemning violence and looting while also condemning police brutality is a rhetorical virtue signal, and does nothing at all for Floyd, perceived grievances or amends from relevant parties.

  11. #311
    Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    9,265

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Well I watched the event commemorating Floyd today in Houston. Turns out it was a campaign rally for Joe Biden. According to Democratic Reps Al Green and Sheila Jackson Lee, Trump is the problem in these Democrat run cities. Who knew?
    To be honest, I don't disagree with your sentiment. Trump is most definitely not the cause of this problem. He may be a symptom, but not the cause. Then again, he's making it easy on his opponents with the way he has responded. That response is either utterly incompetent when measured by the degree to which he manages to defuse the situation or extremely successful if the measure is "how do to make this about Trump again". I mean riots and outrage everywhere. How do I top that? Uh, let's threaten to send in the army, that'll do". I wonder if that's POTUS' first angle on anything happening on the world stage. Sure would explain a lot.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

  12. #312

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    As cited, leaders on both sides of the political aisle have condemned the violence and looting as unacceptable and counterproductive to the cause the protestors are seeking to advance. The false dichotomy between condemning violence and looting while also condemning police brutality is a rhetorical virtue signal, and does nothing at all for Floyd, perceived grievances or amends from relevant parties.
    There is no dichotomy, that is true. But while some choose to discuss the reason why these riots started, others prefer to focus solely on the consequences of said rioting.

  13. #313
    RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Telmachian mountain range
    Posts
    4,345

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    the differences between this and Rodney King are multiple, but for one, the entirety of corporate America is on the side of the protestors

  14. #314
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    There is no dichotomy, that is true. But while some choose to discuss the reason why these riots started, others prefer to focus solely on the consequences of said rioting.
    Those excusing and rationalizing violence and looting are not contributing anything to a discussion of “why these riots started.” Those who condemn violence and looting include many who are concerned about turning the protests into positive change, as cited.

  15. #315

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Those excusing and rationalizing violence and looting are not contributing anything to a discussion of “why these riots started.” Those who condemn violence and looting include many who are concerned about turning the protests into positive change, as cited.
    The looting is a by-product of grifters and opportunists. It is a by product of protests that are legitimate. On the other hand, police brutality and the violent response to many peaceful protests is a conscious choice by the police, as is the deployment of military troops by President Trump. I find the latter much more concerning than the looting, as these are avoidable. Especially in contrast to looters and rioters that nobody has control over.

  16. #316
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Those excusing and rationalizing violence and looting are not contributing anything to a discussion of “why these riots started.” Those who condemn violence and looting include many who are concerned about turning the protests into positive change, as cited.
    I am hearing on at least two news reports, libertarian academics saying that the looting and disorder were probably associated with people being confined at home for weeks.

    Did COVID-19 Lockdown Orders Help Fuel Riots Nationwide?
    Millions of people out of a job and stuck at home for months is a recipe for civil unrest.

    https://reason.com/2020/06/02/did-co...ts-nationwide/

    I would say it is more to do with them not being able to get hold of their drugs, as drug use and criminality go hand in hand especially in the US. Bet the Mexican cartels took a real hit with Covid-19, as we know it is a billion dollar business to feed demand north of the border. Perhaps the authorities should next time give out weed as a way to quell disturbances, if they are no longer allowed to bash heads for fear of provoking further demonstrations.

  17. #317
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,834

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    the differences between this and Rodney King are multiple, but for one, the entirety of corporate America is on the side of the protestors
    A fact which supports my view that they are more an extension of an institutionalized social narrative than an empirically provable trend.

  18. #318
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    The looting is a by-product of grifters and opportunists. It is a by product of protests that are legitimate. On the other hand, police brutality and the violent response to many peaceful protests is a conscious choice by the police, as is the deployment of military troops by President Trump. I find the latter much more concerning than the looting, as these are avoidable. Especially in contrast to looters and rioters that nobody has control over.
    Looting is a conscious choice of the looters and is therefore avoidable, your false dichotomy notwithstanding. The widespread failure of authorities to stop them does not substantiate the deflection that claims police brutality is a choice but looting and violence are akin to a natural disaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    I am hearing on at least two news reports, libertarian academics saying that the looting and disorder were probably associated with people being confined at home for weeks.

    Did COVID-19 Lockdown Orders Help Fuel Riots Nationwide?
    Millions of people out of a job and stuck at home for months is a recipe for civil unrest.
    https://reason.com/2020/06/02/did-co...ts-nationwide/

    I would say it is more to do with them not being able to get hold of their drugs, as drug use and criminality go hand in hand especially in the US. Bet the Mexican cartels took a real hit with Covid-19, as we know it is a billion dollar business to feed demand north of the border. Perhaps the authorities should next time give out weed as a way to quell disturbances, if they are no longer allowed to bash heads for fear of provoking further demonstrations.
    I agree the hypothesis bears further consideration as a potentially key contributing factor to the riots. The economic meltdown and the millions it has left destitute, coupled with the societal trauma of confinement and fear, may well have just been waiting for a spark like Floyd’s death to combine social upheaval and criminal opportunism.

  19. #319
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    A fact which supports my view that they are more an extension of an institutionalized social narrative than an empirically provable trend.
    This "social narrative" has been around for decades. Corporations are just taking advantage of it.

  20. #320
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,834

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    This "social narrative" has been around for decades. Corporations are just taking advantage of it.
    Both of these points are true, though it appears that as systemic racism (historically provable) has eroded, the grievance narrative has been strengthened. The data suggests that race relations declined rapidly in 2012/13. While I can only speculate as to why this was the case, it was around the time that activist left brought the concept of "white privilege" into the mainstream, race grifting became common place on social media and there was a massive uptick in mentions of systemic racism, diversity and inclusion and social justice etc. in the liberal press.

    Gallup poll on race relations.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


    Mentions of certain words/phrases in liberal media outlets.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •