Page 140 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4090115130131132133134135136137138139140141 LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2813

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Open carry is legal (mostly) in WI. It is not an act of provocation. It was established that Rittenhouse was in legal possession of the firearm. The suggestion that being legally armed (the primary legitimate purpose of which is self-defense) negates one's right to self-defense is ludicrous.
    Based on a technicality due to the length of the barrel being longer, sure. If you hang a rifle around your neck and go to a protest to act like you're the Rambo it doesn't exactly give people the impression that you merely have that rifle to defend yourself. People will surely see you as a threat. Those that see it in themselves will try to disarm you. Something being legal doesn't make the act impervious to being an act of intimidation.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Based on a technicality due to the length of the barrel being longer, sure. If you hang a rifle around your neck and go to a protest to act like you're the Rambo it doesn't exactly give people the impression that you merely have that rifle to defend yourself. People will surely see you as a threat. Those that see it in themselves will try to disarm you. Something being legal doesn't make the act impervious to being an act of intimidation.
    Gun law in the US - from the Constitution down - is based on self-defense. The primary purpose of open carry is to deter potential attackers with a show of defensive force. It makes most sense in volatile situations where there is an substantive expectation of being assailed. It is the very opposite of an invitation to be attacked (no reasonable person would physically accost a person armed with a deadly weapon). The reason that rifles are hung round the neck is to keep the barrel facing downward in a defensive posture.

The characterization of Rittenhouse as "Rambo" implies that he provoked the action against him by using his weapon in an aggressive or haphazard manner (e.g. by brandishing). The evidence strongly suggests the contrary: that Rittenhouse only used his weapon when being directly assailed. This is why the prosecution had no case.
    Last edited by Cope; November 23, 2021 at 02:20 AM.

Gun law in the US - from the Constitution down - is based on self-defense. The primary purpose of open carry is to deter potential attackers with a show of defensive force. It makes most sense in volatile situations where there is an substantive expectation of being assailed. It is the very opposite of an invitation to be attacked (no reasonable person would physically accost a person armed with a deadly weapon). The reason that rifles are hung round the neck is to keep the barrel facing downward in a defensive posture.

The characterization of Rittenhouse as "Rambo" implies that he provoked the action against him by using his weapon in an aggressive or haphazard manner (e.g. by brandishing). The evidence strongly suggests the contrary: that Rittenhouse only used his weapon when being directly assailed. This is why the prosecution had no case.
    All of this would make sense if Rittenhouse had to be there and trying to accomplish his daily duties and felt the need to defend himself. He wasn't. His sole purpose to be there was to confront people.
    The Armenian Issue

All of this would make sense if Rittenhouse had to be there and trying to accomplish his daily duties and felt the need to defend himself. He wasn't. His sole purpose to be there was to confront people.
    There is no evidence for the claim that Rittenhouse either intended to, or did in fact, confront anyone. As explained above, the suggestion that being armed is an act of confrontation in and of itself shows a fundamental misunderstanding, both of the law and of gun culture in the US.

There is no evidence for the claim that Rittenhouse either intended to, or did in fact, confront anyone. As explained above, the suggestion that being armed is an act of confrontation in and of itself shows a fundamental misunderstanding, both of the law and of gun culture in the US.
    Cope, Rittenhouse didn't travel to Kenosha to get laid or count flowers on people's yards.
    The Armenian Issue

Based on a technicality due to the length of the barrel being longer, sure.
    There is nothing technical about being a normal rifle that can be purchased anywhere guns are sold. By which I mean, the charge wasn't dropped due to some technical loophole, but rather because it was perfectly legal for Rittenhouse to be in possession of a normal rifle.

In contrast, a short-barreled rifle requires a Type 01 Federal Firearms License, must be purchased from a Class 3 arms dealer, and registered with the ATF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    There is nothing technical about being a normal rifle that can be purchased anywhere guns are sold. By which I mean, the charge wasn't dropped due to some technical loophole, but rather because it was perfectly legal for Rittenhouse to be in possession of a normal rifle.
    In contrast, a short-barreled rifle requires a Type 01 Federal Firearms License, must be purchased from a Class 3 arms dealer, and registered with the ATF.
    Even the questionable judge voiced concern about this technicality.
    The Armenian Issue

Cope, Rittenhouse didn't travel to Kenosha to get laid or count flowers on people's yards.
    Rittenhouse traveled to Kenosha on 8/24 to work. He remained there overnight. On the morning of 8/25 he cleared graffiti from a high school building, then later volunteered to protect a car dealership which had suffered property damage the previous evening. None of this shows any intent to provoke or confront, much less to do murder.

Even the questionable judge voiced concern about this technicality.
    No, he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

It also isn't relevant to the more serious charges because Rittenhouse's right to self-defense would not have been negated due a misdemeanor violation.

No, he didn't.
    So far as I recall, the prosecution agreed with the judge that the charge did not apply due to the weapon's specifications.

Praeses

I think the dead guy's girlfriends opinion is apposite, she said she felt for him, he was trying to help out, I think some/most of his family lived in that town, and he's been caught up in a wider stream of events. I mean this boy is weaponised now, he'll be used and abused like the woman who accused Kavanaugh, regardless of his own wishes, I suspect..

There's a lot that's alien to me here, arming a kid with some (to me) incredible weapon, letting him out when there's "opposing forces" similarly armed, but that's the state of play in the US. Kid wanting to stand up for his family's community against some rioting felt the need to take some massive gun and felt the need to use it. If I took a weapon to a rally here I'd be arrested and have it taken by the cops (but remember I live in the People's Republic of Australia, so I've probably been brainwashed for having a poor Social Credit Score, or "rep" as its known here).

I'm still stunned the rioting was allowed to develop so horribly. There's a huge failure of governance here. People declaring "autonomous zones"? I mean send in the troops. If the protesting is sincere then show respect but shoot the looters and secessionists. Its bad someone gave this kid a powerful weapon too, but I hear its legal? The gun problem is baked in for decades in the US I think.

I notice he reporting has been very divisive too. Some paranoid conspiracy theorist posted that we got full coverage of this trial with loud opinionating from a lot of influential people, but the trial of Ghislaine Maxwell is going too and there was a court sketch and very little comment. Not sure if that's true but we are not hearing a peep about Epstein's associate, and the news was full of Kenosha.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Rittenhouse traveled to Kenosha on 8/24 to work. He remained there overnight. On the morning of 8/25 he cleared graffiti from a high school building, then later volunteered to protect a car dealership which had suffered property damage the previous evening. None of this shows any intent to provoke or confront, much less to do murder.
    Did he also kiss babies?
    The Armenian Issue

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Did he also kiss babies?
    That was Rosenbaum.

https://twitter.com/browsersatdv4/st...84286171836418

And just like that Rittenhouse was unpersoned from in MAGAstan.

Almost like there was never any actual proof that he was a white supremacist.

True, but you and I both know the court largely ignored the real crime:

This has changed my mind. I now completely agree that crossing State Lines, also known as Borders, without proper permission, should be treated as a criminal act. I suggest that the highest levels of Government, the Congress and the Executive Branch, form an official unit dedicated to preventing the crossing of State Lines, also known as Borders, and the apprehension and prosecution of those who do cross State Lines, also known as Borders, in violation of law. I will go one step further and suggest the erection of barriers at State Lines, also known as Borders, to further dissuade those who would cross in violation of law.

His support for the protests (as opposed to the riots) has been public knowledge since just after the shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    Did he also kiss babies?
    That was Rosenbaum.
    It is heartbreaking how much little Jojo loved children...
    Last edited by Infidel144; November 23, 2021 at 04:50 AM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

In more positive news, Ahmaud Arbury's killers have been found guilty on all charges.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

It’s almost like the pretty obvious murder was murder and the pretty obvious self defense was self defense.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Establishment and media will call anything they don't like "white supremacy" (ironically making actual white supremacists more popular), kinda like evangelicals that called anyone who doesn't worship Yahweh as Satanist.