Page 12 of 141 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    The article was clear. Gaidan didn't seem to have a problem. If you can't read it, thats your fault. We have established you were wrong though right? That Trump was referring to more than just the NG?
    Woah. Don't get me involved in this. My problems with Trump's whining is that he can't seem to or doesn't care to key in on what the true problems are. There's a clash between current standing laws if you really want to get technical. Yes, Trump can deploy the military domestically. Nobody wants him to. The Insurrection Act requires requires requests from governors, allows federalization of National Guard and use of Military. Otherwise Posse Commitatus blatantly says the military can not be used for routine law enforcement(which this is).

That is to say, protests are not rebellions. Riots are not even rebellions(for all they are crimes). They're not exactly pulling off something like 1776 or 1861 here. They want their elected representatives TO LISTEN. They want their police commanders TO LISTEN.

I am hitting on Trump because he can't key into what these people are saying. You and Infidel can keep finagling on what this crap says all you want. But if the best the police forces can do is choking to death a non-resisting african-american, this is going to keep happening, whatever the law technically says regarding the deployment of the military. And like I said, if Trump wants a dozen Kent States, that's on him.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    It's not worth arguing over. The use of the Insurrection Act is probably just posturing by Trump. Even so - and without wanting to look into it too deeply - it is doubtlessly the case that there are elements of the military outside the NG which are trained in crowd/riot control. As the civil disturbance field manual you referenced earlier makes clear, managing unrest is a regular task for US forces deployed overseas, as is the training of local law enforcement outfits.
    US forces have a long history at being bad at crowd control on foreign overseas operations. Their are no where near as trained as law enforcement or even the National Guard.

According to this article, even the National Guard at least in Minnesota isn't that well-trained to deal with riots.

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...ment-protests/

One Minnesota Guard member, who spoke to The Nation on the condition of anonymity, said that many in the Guard were dreading being called up:“We’re a combat unit not trained for riot control or safely handling civilians in this context. Soldiers up and down the ranks are scared about hurting someone, and leaders are worried about soldiers’ suffering liability.”

The Guard member added, “My [colleagues] are people of common sense and common decency. They may not want to step over any lines when doing their jobs, but wanting only goes so far when you’re undertrained and underequipped.”
    Last edited by Vanoi; June 01, 2020 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    If you can't spot the point that most people think protests hurt until hindsight is 20/20 then you're really not familiar with how this works.
    A study by Omar Wasow assistant professor at Princeton that found:

Examining county-level voting patterns, I find that black-led protests in which some violence occurs are associated with a statistically significant decline in Democratic vote-share in the 1964, 1968 and 1972 presidential elections. Black-led nonviolent protests, by contrast, exhibit a statistically significant positive relationship with county-level Democratic vote-share in the same period. Further, I find that in the 1968 presidential election exposure to violent protests caused a decline in Democratic vote-share. Examining counterfactual scenarios in the 1968 election, I estimate that fewer violent protests are associated with a substantially increased likelihood that the Democratic presidential nominee, Hubert Humphrey, would have beaten the Republican nominee, Richard Nixon. As African Americans were strongly identified with the Democratic party in this time period, my results suggest that, in at least some contexts, political violence by a subordinate group may contribute to a backlash among segments of the dominant group and encourage outcomes directly at odds with the preferences of the protestors.
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015...servative.html

The fact that all the major arrests so far have been white males who are all presumed to be liberals isn't going to look good to the minorities whose communities were destroyed while ANTIFA will head back to the suburbs when this is over.

The Pittsburgh guy, Barian Bartles, is defintely left-wing as he is pictured wearing an Animal Liberation Front bandana

https://www.google.com/search?q=anim...saUU3Zt9aR5WGM
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This guy, Matthew Lee Rupert, was just arrested in Chicago and faces federal charges for providing others with explosives and other things. He documented his past couple days of rioting on his facebook if anyone is interested:
    https://www.facebook.com/ricco.rupert.75
    Last edited by tgoodenow; June 01, 2020 at 09:05 PM.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Democrat run cities, Democrat run police forces, Democrat instigators, Democrat looters...and it's Trump's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Democrat run cities, Democrat run police forces, Democrat instigators, Democrat looters...and it's Trump's fault.
    Wait. de Blasio wants to know why he's having such a hard time with NYPD if they're Democrat.

For reference on who started in New York City:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/7bYcTlA
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Watching the cognitive dissonance displayed in the narrative change is amusing

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Uh Oh. No wonder Democrats want Trump to stop tweeting. Antifa caught paying protesters:

https://www.independentsentinel.com/...ff-protesters/

Uh Oh. No wonder Democrats want Trump to stop tweeting. Antifa caught paying protesters:

https://www.independentsentinel.com/...ff-protesters/
    Soros funded indeed. Anti-Semitic rubbish.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Soros funded indeed. Anti-Semitic rubbish.
    Someone pays someone on the corner of Ohio?

Seems a little tactical.

I guess that's why it's only coming up on this forum and not as a federal grand jury charge against Soros.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

‘The President of the United States is not a dictator, and President Trump does not and will not dominate New York state,’ Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement on Monday.

‘In fact, the president does not have the right to unilaterally deploy US military across American states.'

We respect and will guard the right to peaceful protest, and my office will review any federal action with an eye toward protecting our state’s rights.‘Rest assured: We will not hesitate to go to court to protect our constitutional rights during this time and well into the future.’

Now the Democrats own the riots and the response.

Worth noting riot control was sent to Washington DC for a peaceful protest just so Trump could walk across the street to St. Johns.

Good use of resources.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Watching the cognitive dissonance displayed in the narrative change is amusing
    Indeed. This post is a good example of it.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Worth noting riot control was sent to Washington DC for a peaceful protest just so Trump could walk across the street to St. Johns.

Good use of resources.
    Gotta save face after shutting off the lights and hiding in the basement.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    Indeed. This post is a good example of it.
    How so?

How so?
    You're claiming to be upset about the narrative whilst agreeing with a post that focuses on party politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    You're claiming to be upset about the narrative whilst agreeing with a post that focuses on party politics.
    Lets see, I claimed to be "upset"...
    No, I think, what I said was I find something "amusing".
    And while I did mention "narrative" I think said something about a changing narrative.
    futhermore, I think what I said that I find "amusing" what was the "cognitive dissonance".
    But let me go check.

"Watching the cognitive dissonance displayed in the narrative change is amusing."

Yeah, I am amused watching the cognitive dissonance in the changing narrative.

Lets see, I claimed to be "upset"...
    No, I think, what I said was I find something "amusing".
    And while I did mention "narrative" I think said something about a changing narrative.
    futhermore, I think what I said that I find "amusing" what was the "cognitive dissonance".
    But let me go check.

"Watching the cognitive dissonance displayed in the narrative change is amusing."

Yeah, I am amused watching the cognitive dissonance in the changing narrative.
    You're trying so hard.

So tell us, what does the Democratic Party have to do with these protests? And why is criticism of Trump conflated with it being "his fault"?

Had you actually wanted me to 'explain', something about what I was said you could have asked, you did not.
    So, your attempt to change the subject from what you incorrectly said I was claiming is not going to work.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I heard recently that American police is under no obligation to protect people, or even to save peoples lives when they are attacked right in front of them. Is that correct?

2nd question, are those three officers that stood there doing nothing while their colleague killed Floyd going to be prosecuted?

Had you actually wanted me to 'explain', something about what I was said you could have asked, you did not.
    So, your attempt to change the subject from what you incorrectly said I was claiming is not going to work.
    Save your excuses for someone who will believe them.