Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2540414243444546474849505152535455565758596075100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2813

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

Twelve years ago, officials in Vallejo, Calif., reluctantly took a step that activists are now urging in cities across the country: They defunded their police department.

Unable to pay its bills after the 2008 financial crisis, Vallejo filed for bankruptcy and cut its police force nearly in half — to fewer than 80 officers, from a pre-recession high of more than 150. At the time, the working-class city of 122,000 north of San Francisco struggled with high rates of violent crime and simmering mistrust of its police department. It didn’t seem like things could get much worse.

“Our police department is woefully ‘defunded’ — which has led to overworked, underpaid and therefore underqualified police officers,” Quick said. “Do I really want a man or woman who’s worked 16 hours straight, with a gun in their hand, with state-sanctioned ability to take my life, who is tired — do I want that person authorized to police me? The answer to that is no.”

The problems have been particularly acute among Vallejo’s residents of color, who make up roughly 75 percent of the city but have long been served by a majority-white police force.

But there is one reform at the top of the national agenda that Sampayan says he is not willing to consider: further cuts to the police. To restore the department’s relationship with the community, the mayor said, he would ideally like to see double the current number of officers.

As elected officials cope with a budget battered by the coronavirus pandemic’s effects on the economy, such an expansion is probably impossible. But more “defunding,” Sampayan said, is out of the question.

“Our populace won’t stand for that,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5e5_story.html
    That this should be the legacy of what began as protests against police brutality throws into sharp relief the toxicity of the radicals shaping narratives and policies.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    That this should be the legacy of what began as protests against police brutality throws into sharp relief the toxicity of the radicals shaping narratives and policies.
    +rep

---------

If anyone is interested, here is a great article by Victor Davis Hansen that illustrates parallels between rural and urban life 2,000 years ago and how it compares to today. It also gives a glimpse into what the future holds for the big blue cities that are hosting these demonstrations (riots and looting):

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...id-big-cities/

Make them carry their own liability insurance. Like contractors, painters, plumbers, etc. The insurance companies will do better mental health screenings. If a cop has too many complaints he will become uninsurable, therefore unemployable. If they actually had something to lose maybe they would learn to control their issues. Also the billions in settlements that us taxpayers have to conveniently pay should come directly from from their pension fund. If "Good" cops were going to lose money for "Bad" cops you bet your harry little ass that the force would be culled right quick for cops policing other cops.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Make them carry their own liability insurance. Like contractors, painters, plumbers, etc. The insurance companies will do better mental health screenings. If a cop has too many complaints he will become uninsurable, therefore unemployable. If they actually had something to lose maybe they would learn to control their issues. Also the billions in settlements that us taxpayers have to conveniently pay should come directly from from their pension fund. If "Good" cops were going to lose money for "Bad" cops you bet your harry little ass that the force would be culled right quick for cops policing other cops.
    Oh totally, I can't wait to see what further pay reduction does for recruitment numbers in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Oh totally, I can't wait to see what further pay reduction does for recruitment numbers in Baltimore.
    Why are police immune to funding cuts when they can't even do their jobs? Much less now when the economy is in a crapstorm?

You should really pick a different city than Baltimore to appeal to. At least pick a place they do their job. There's a city in New Jersey they cut the entire force and rebuilt from scratch and there's a good community trust there now.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Why are police immune to funding cuts when they can't even do their jobs? Much less now when the economy is in a crapstorm?

You should really pick a different city than Baltimore to appeal to. At least pick a place they do their job. There's a city in New Jersey they cut the entire force and rebuilt from scratch and there's a good community trust there now.
    So lets ignore the fact that a slum run for decades by Democrats has one of the highest homicide rates in that country and has had a net loss of police for years in a row despite the fact that they are making every possible appeal for more of them? Let's also ignore the fact that Baltimore is on pace for an even higher homicide rate this year?

What worked in a city of 80,000 people isn't going to work in a city with real organized crime. "Solutions" shouldn't result in even fewer cops and even more homicides in cities.

Indefinitely Banned

Even now, with the country on the eve of Civil War, the American white male demonstrated that they would stand by and allow their monuments to be demolished. Where was the fighting spirit to defend these monuments from 2017? It is dead.

Shaun King, the whitest black guy in America has called for the destruction of white jesus, since jesus should only be a black man; he want white children to worship black people and give them money and sex.

Left-Wing Shaun King: Tear Down ‘White Supremacy’ Statues of Jesus
    “Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down,” wrote King, a self-described black man whose family says he is white. “They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been. In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went? EGYPT! Not Denmark. Tear them down.”
    Source: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...tues-of-jesus/
    Last edited by Aexodus; June 24, 2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Double post

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: War drums; beating softly for now

the American white male demonstrated that they would stand by and allow their monuments to be demolished. Where was the fighting spirit to defend these monuments from 2017? It is dead.
    Why defend them (the statues) They should have never been - traitors in the defense of slavery deserve no monuments. Besides that many have little artistic merit (were are not talking about toppling Rodin's The Thinker). I would certainly as an individual never claim any CSA monument as 'mine'. Maybe Exach the nation is finally tired of the lost cause myth and having to put up with statues to losers. Replace them with real heroes of the actual US why not Oliver Hazzard Perry, Jonas salk, Anyone who was key to the Manhattan Project, John Smith Thach, Admiral Rickover, Hugh Thompson Jr. (and his two crew - any men outnumbered but willing to train guns on their own army perpetrating the ma lai massacre to save civilians deserve very many more statues that confederate traitors who in many cases later also created the KKK) etc.
    Last edited by conon394; June 24, 2020 at 09:09 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Why defend them (the statues) They should have never been - traitors in the defense of slavery deserve no monuments. Besides that many have little artistic merit (were are not talking about toppling Rodin's The Thinker). I would certainly as an individual never claim any CSA monument as 'mine'. Maybe Exach the nation is finally tired of the lost cause myth and having to put up with statues to losers.
    The racial divide in America can only be resolved with the implementation of an african only nation state within the borders of the United States; taking the model of Kosovo in the former Yugoslavia, only a black only nation state would guarantee the safety of black americans who are undergoing ethnic cleansing in the United States today. George Floyd was executed in Minnesota, a Union States and a state considered to be the most democrat and black friendly/politically correct.

War drums beat, for black nationhood and the coming civil war; black americans burn the american flag; it's going to come sooner or later and assassinating back leaders like the USG did to Malcolm X isn't going to work for BLM which itself is a leaderless movement.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

a Union States and a state considered to be the most democrat and black friendly/politically correct.
    You really don't follow American politics all that closely do you just read headlines.

War drums beat, for black nationhood and the coming civil war; black americans burn the american flag; it's going to come sooner or later and assassinating back leaders like the USG did to Malcolm X isn't going to work for BLM which itself is a leaderless movement.
    Lots of Americans burn American flags it is protected speech. Last I check the Nation of Islam killed Malcolm. I see not many war drums but a lot peaceful protest, but whatever. But again you never really answer questions do you? What about those super computers, and who really cares if statues to traitors in defense of slavery are toppled long after thay should never have been built.
    Last edited by Aexodus; June 24, 2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Personal references
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    The racial divide in America can only be resolved with the implementation of an african only nation state within the borders of the United States; taking the model of Kosovo in the former Yugoslavia, only a black only nation state would guarantee the safety of black americans who are undergoing ethnic cleansing in the United States today. George Floyd was executed in Minnesota, a Union States and a state considered to be the most democrat and black friendly/politically correct.

NOI killed Malcolm. The assassination of MLK Jr didn't lead to civil war. These smaller protests aren't going to trigger a civil war.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Spoken like true racist..
    The United States is a race based caste system not unlike apartheid south africa, and like south africa, it will collapse if reforms are not enacted. Unfortunately for you, the american elites are resistant to change, so war drums will beat for the coming Revolution.

Lots of Americans burn American flags it is protected speech.
    you sure about that? you sure this is the same America we're talking about? this isn't the america of 1993 anymore. Times have changed.

Trump Says He Wants To Punish Flag Burning With A Year In Prison

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#1d70c69a3404

white supremacist lawmakers in USG are also moving to criminalise the destruction and desecration of statues. That's just inviting the insurgency to take more and more reckless acts.

The statue of Andrew Jackson- a personal idol of Trump supporters and american imperialists- was this* close to being torn down. The BLM religious movement will try again sooner rather than later.

The drums of civil war beat ever so louder...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    NOI killed Malcolm. The assassination of MLK Jr didn't lead to civil war. These smaller protests aren't going to trigger a civil war.
    Perhaps not.

But what happens after Chauvin's trial? you think either side is gonna be happy with the result?
    And what happens after the election? You think the losing side will accept the result? Or will they cite "Chinese hacking" or "Russian hacking"?

Civil war is coming to America; maybe a lot of you live in safe and secure all white neighbourhoods or gated communities, but is gonna get real, real fast.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

What this throws in sharp relief is that the opinions of people like you don't matter, since apparently the difference between defunding the police and using the multi-million/billion dollar sized budget of several PD's to fund social programs negating the use of so many, militarized, poorly trained cops, is the same as defunding because of a financial crisis.

I hope the fighting against the vicious police continues, and I hope the protesters do what has to be done, as they continue to do.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    What this throws in sharp relief is that the opinions of people like you don't matter, since apparently the difference between defunding the police and using the multi-million/billion dollar sized budget of several PD's to fund social programs negating the use of so many, militarized, poorly trained cops, is the same as defunding because of a financial crisis.

I hope the fighting against the vicious police continues, and I hope the protesters do what has to be done, as they continue to do.
    Overall, questions that seemed to emphasize how police departments would be affected found less support. Reuters/Ipsos respondents who were familiar with “proposals to completely dismantle police departments and give more financial support to address homelessness, mental health, and domestic violence” said they opposed those proposals, 58 percent to 39 percent. That was virtually identical to the way respondents broke down in the pollster’s question about the “‘defund the police’ movement.” And finally, per ABC News/Ipsos, 39 percent supported and 60 percent opposed “reducing the budget of the police department in your community, even if that means fewer police officers, if the money is shifted to programs related to mental health, housing, and education.” That made the specific proposal slightly more popular than “the movement to ‘defund the police’” (34 percent support vs. 64 percent opposition), but the difference was well within the pollster’s margin of error.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...slogan-itself/
    I hope the opinions of some 60% of the public do matter.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

What has to be done?

Civitate

I hope the opinions of some 60% of the public do matter.
    Hopefully not. Police departments are mostly overfunded. Chicago is a great example.

Btw you didn't post all of the results of the various polls conducted in your article. Like this one:

For instance, when Reuters/Ipsos queried people about “proposals to move some money currently going to police budgets into better officer training, local programs for homelessness, mental health assistance, and domestic violence,” a whopping 76 percent of people who were familiar with those proposals supported them, with only 22 percent opposed. Democrats and independents supported these proposals in huge numbers while Republicans were split, 51 percent in favor to 47 percent opposed.
    Meanwhile, Morning Consult/Politico asked respondents whether they supported “redirecting funding for the police department in [their] local community to support community development programs,” and just 43 percent of register voters said they supported it, while 42 percent opposed it. Still, this was a significant increase in support from the pollster’s question about support for the “movement to ‘defund the police’” (which, to reiterate, was 28 percent support vs. 58 percent opposition).
    Last edited by Vanoi; June 24, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    But what happens after Chauvin's trial? you think either side is gonna be happy with the result?
    Well, if it turns out that Chauvin gets off (probably due to overcharging), there will likely be more protests and rioting from those doing it now, but if he gets convicted, what is this 'other side' that will not be "happy"?
    Last edited by Infidel144; June 24, 2020 at 03:31 PM.

Hopefully not. Police departments are mostly overfunded. Chicago is a great example.

Btw you didn't post all of the results of the various polls conducted in your article. Like this one:
    I didn’t cherry pick the polls you like from the article just to create the false impression people support the calls to slash police funding. The great thing about it is this is a de facto and mostly de jure local issue, and urban America is solid blue. There seems to be very little standing in the way of the #Defund mania in the areas where it is actually supported, so let’s hope the relevant majorities will get what they want in any case.

Civitate

I didn’t cherry pick the polls you like from the article just to create the false impression people support the calls to slash police funding.
    You only posted quotes of the article that supported your position. You cherry picked. I could care less if you admit it.

The great thing about it is this is a de facto and mostly de jure local issue, and urban America is solid blue. There seems to be very little standing in the way of the #Defund mania in the areas where it is actually supported, so let’s hope the relevant majorities will get what they want in any case.
    Hopefully so

You only posted quotes of the article that supported your position. You cherry picked. I could care less if you admit it.
    In other words, you’re aware the majority of the public opposes cutting police budgets, and you don’t like it, so you cherry pick polls from the source I provided in order to muddy the waters.

The polls you cherry picked ask if police funds should be reallocated to things like officer training and community programs. Hence when people were asked if they want to “reduce the budget of the police department in your community” to fund community programs, housing and education,” aka “defund the police,” 60% of people said no.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; June 24, 2020 at 05:52 PM.