Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1098

Thread: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

  1. #61
    Legio_Italica's Avatar Lost in Limbo
    Civitate Magistrate Gaming Staff

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,540

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    You and Cope said pretty much the same thing, so my response to him applies here.

    Ignoring the rest of the country, but ok.

    There both you and her go again. Condemn the looting all you want, but don't pretend it didn't explode into rioting for a reason.
    This strawman isn’t any more coherent than your failed attempt to foist a caricature of the “white moderate” or “Uncle Tom” onto the perspective of someone who identifies as an aggrieved “mother of four black children.” Likewise, your attempts to extenuate violence and looting are not validated by your unabridged version of “if you ain’t on my side, you ain’t black.”

  2. #62
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Having literally one guy be president =\= widespread political power capable of enacting national change as a voting bloc.
    Again can you not read? I said up to the President. Meaning black people have held political power from local government to federal. This is not hard to understand.

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ry/4881243002/

    African-Americans are a voting block as well. Especially in my own state.

    I don’t even understand how I have to explain that to you. Many departments have enforced more strict guidelines against brutality in recent years, body cams, etc.
    You're leaving out they have also militarized. Heavily.

    Taking national headline stories of brutality and police abuse of power still occurring to black people (and it occurs to people of literally every race once again) does not mean that the rate of it occurring has not dropped. 60 years ago cops were still getting away with literally taking part in lynchings. It’s obviously gotten better if not nearly where it needs to be. To argue otherwise is insane to me.

    And if a small number of African Americans feel they are justified in destroying other African Americans trying to simply live the American Dream because things are not progressing fast enough in an issue in which they are not the only victims, then they are morons. They give more ammunition to the authoritarians who want to make the US a police state when they commit huge organized acts of crime against entire communities. Even if the feelings are justified the acts are completely ing stupid.
    And the more the police militarize and use force, the more often the riots happen. If the government wants to keep doing the same thing over and over again with no change then thats their fault.

    You're still avoiding my question.

    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Ya thank God for those watts riots, without them we would’ve never reformed the LAPD and prevented the Rodney King riots
    Government's fault.
    Last edited by Vanoi; May 30, 2020 at 06:14 PM.

  3. #63
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Vanoi:
    Led to this commission that otherwise would have never formed. Too bad the government in ots very classic fasion never implemented anything to deal with the problems found in the commission.
    Cites one example of a riot that lead to no actual changes and occurred at the same place the most famous example of police brutality in modern US history would occur decades later.

    Also Vanoi:
    Riots do lead to change sometimes.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  4. #64
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Vanoi:

    Cites one example of a riot that lead to no actual changes and occurred at the same place the most famous example of police brutality in modern US history would occur decades later.
    I cited another example in that post. You ignored it. And its government's fault nothing was implemented.

    Also Vanoi:
    Thats right below the source you ignored.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Institutional racism is one of the hardest subjects to tackle. Police departments around the country is a testament to that. Just because there was a Democratic governor doesn't really mean that changes overnight.
    Because when the democrats hold all the potions of power in a jurisdiction as they do in Minneapolis, it still seems to happen. This ruins your programming, because democrats good, Republicans racist. It destroys the narrative. This is Ilhan Omar's district. Your claims of "muh institutional racism" are hilarious, and I am laughing very hard. I am laughing at your arguments, they are silly.

  6. #66
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    From the Boston Tea Party to the Los Angeles riots to the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, violent resistance has sometimes led to positive social change. Most often, rioting has drawn attention to oppressive authoritarian rule (sometimes by kings, sometimes by police). In some cases, it has also spurred investigations into law enforcement or other government systems. Occasionally, it has even forced corrupt or incompetent leaders to surrender or resign.
    Citing literally the most barebones sentence ever in a piece that’s just a bunch of people giving a few paragraphs of their opinions on the subject as evidence is pretty rich.

    Also saying “herr derr it’s the governments fault nothing happened” in reference to a topic that is about whether riots enforce political change is so inherently absurd I have to think you’re trolling. Yeah it’s the government’s fault nothing happened, because nothing in the government was actually changed from wanton destruction of random people’s , which is why once again riots are mostly a pointless excuse to destroy a bunch of people’s . You making any plans to go out and destroy people’s yourself, Vanoi?

    I mean in this case the murderer is even being charged/arrested unlike in prior cases and will likely be put away for his criminal behavior, so I’m not quite sure even what is being specifically protested regarding this case other than a vague sense of injustice despite the government doing what it can to bring the offender to justice.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; May 30, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  7. #67
    B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bayou country
    Posts
    3,055

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Institutional racism is one of the hardest subjects to tackle. Police departments around the country is a testament to that. Just because there was a Democratic governor doesn't really mean that changes overnight.



    That doesn't address my post at all. I did prove you wrong. You seem to be deliberately avoiding addressing what I pointed out there. Perhaps you dug yourself a nice little hole with your attempts to belittle me while your arguments fall flat since you avoid addressing them. Good luck.
    Once again, I never said anything about states. How come you keep missing that. But never mind, the Democrats have controlled Minneapolis since 1974. How many decades do they need to fix this problem?

    You have never proved me wrong. You've made me laugh a lot, but you have never proved me wrong.

  8. #68
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Citing literally the most barebones sentence ever in a piece that’s just a bunch of people giving a few paragraphs of their opinions on the subject as evidence is pretty rich.
    Its actually not an opinion. The Los Angeles Riots caused the firing of the LAPD police chief alone with other changes. If you are going to say my claim is then post counter-evidence showing riots leading to no change whatsoever otherwise you are just talking out of your ass.

    Also saying “herr derr it’s the governments fault nothing happened” in reference to a topic that is about whether riots enforce political change is so inherently absurd I have to think you’re trolling.
    You said yourself the lack of change helped lead to the 1992 riots. The government found solutions and didn't implement them which could changed something. Its certainly not the fault of the rioters.

    And last time i checked both Watts Riot and this once started over a police incident involving a black man so its definitely relevant to compare them.

    Yeah it’s the government’s fault nothing happened, because nothing in the government was actually changed from wanton destruction of random people’s , which is why once again riots are mostly a pointless excuse to destroy a bunch of people’s . You making any plans to go out and destroy people’s yourself, Vanoi?
    Its not black people's fault the racist policies of Los Angeles led to the riot in Watts and its certainly not their fault the government did nothing to solve the underlying problems found in their own commission.

  9. #69
    irontaino's Avatar Pizza time!
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,952

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    This strawman isn’t any more coherent than your failed attempt to foist a caricature of the “white moderate” or “Uncle Tom” onto the perspective of someone who identifies as an aggrieved “mother of four black children.” Likewise, your attempts to extenuate violence and looting are not validated by your unabridged version of “if you ain’t on my side, you ain’t black.”

    What even is any of this post? Uncle Tom? Random Joe Biden quote? What is the point you're trying to get across here?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude


  10. #70
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    It’s obviously not their fault for institutional racism, genius. What is their fault is the livelihoods and businesses they destroyed by reacting to institutionalized racism by destroying their own neighborhood.

    This is essentially what you’re advocating for it response to institutionalized racism:

    Because if everything else wasn’t working (which it is, albeit slowly) then destroying your neighbors’ lives and lashing out in anger is surely the solution lmao. Even if it did, do you think the gains are worth destroying countless innocents in the process?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 01, 2020 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Offensive.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    ....so what? Riots good, whites bad? Your arguments are so bad lol.

  12. #72
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    ....so what? Riots good, whites bad? Your arguments are so bad lol.
    You have no room to talk. Feel free to address my post but knowing the way you post you might invoke Godwin's law again.

  13. #73
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    No his point is that a riot didn’t do nothing because it caused a commission that did nothing. The net result of that commission that did nothing surpassed the cons of destroying an entire neighborhood.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; May 30, 2020 at 06:49 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    You have no room to talk. Feel free to address my post but knowing the way you post you might invoke Godwin's law again.
    Dude come on, you previously invoked law I debunked and you ignored it because you're wrong and then you come back and just give me some boiler plate lefty crap about how your argument is so smart and moral, but like, nobody believes that but you. Stop deflecting and try to actually address the issues.

  15. #75
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Dude come on, you previously invoked law I debunked and you ignored it because you're wrong and then you come back and just give me some boiler plate lefty crap about how your argument is so smart and moral, but like, nobody believes that but you. Stop deflecting and try to actually address the issues.
    Except i never mentioned Nazis or Hitler at all. Feel free to quote me to prove me wrong. I can't deflect anything if you haven't actually presented an argument. Try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    It’s obviously not their fault for institutional racism, genius. What is their fault is the livelihoods and businesses they destroyed by reacting to institutionalized racism by destroying their own neighborhood.
    Has peaceful protesting worked yet? Go ahead and tell me. You keep avoiding trying to answer it other than blaming black people for not doing enough.

    This is essentially what you’re advocating for it response to institutionalized racism:

    Because if everything else wasn’t working (which it is, albeit slowly) then destroying your neighbors’ lives and lashing out in anger is surely the solution lmao. Even if it did, do you think the gains are worth destroying countless innocents in the process?
    Oh i love that part. Thats a really ing nice way of describing the 400 years of they have to deal with and overcome. "Abliet slowly." Biggest understatement i've heard in a while. You ever thought that maybe they are getting pretty pissed about how slow it has gone and is still going?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; June 01, 2020 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Continuity.

  16. #76
    ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Destroying your neighborhood is not going to enact social change any faster. Spiting yourself and preventing your neighborhood from undergoing any sort of infrastructural or social progress is not going to make institutional racism go away faster. I think it’s pretty obvious to see that even if peaceful protesting doesn’t do much, neither does violent rioting, and only one of them comes at the cost of victimizing countless other people as well. What exactly do you expect from these pointless riots, a race revolution or something?

    Sorry, brb on my way to burn down my neighborhood to own the whites.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back. (IF YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME!)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZanyGaming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Oh, and this is false. As a white person, I can say that it's not possible to be racist to a white person.
    Congratulations, you just lowered my IQ by 10 points.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Black people carrying anything resembling a gun is seen and treated as a threat by cops. All they have to say is that they felt threatened. Meanwhile, white people can walk around armed to the teeth.
    So "in Michigan, armed protesters stormed the capitol building to protest against the lock down measures while no response was given by the officers" i.e. who exercised their rights under the first and second amendments of the Constitution, and had nothing happen to them, is a double standard compared to what?
    Are you attempting to claim it is a double standard compared to the reaction to riots and looting?


    Since Setekh does not want to give an actual answer, lets give a couple of comparisons:
    From the prior thread about Armed protesters demonstrate inside Michigan state capitol:


    Armed black citizens escort Michigan lawmaker to capitol after volatile rightwing protest
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...htwing-protest
    and more recently:
    'We have to arm ourselves': Black Michigan demonstrators protest brutality
    After a series of events where mostly white protesters carried guns at the Michigan Capitol and drew national attention, a group of armed black demonstrators hoped Thursday to send their own message.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ty/5275209002/
    Armed black proterers exercising their Constitutionally guaranteed rights and they were not even beaten, arrested or anything. Not even shot on sight as it was stated would happen in the other thread.
    These horrible double standards.
    Hmmm... it will be interesting to see the actual double standards from those who condemned the "mostly white protesters carried guns at the Michigan Capitol" but will not do the same here.

  18. #78
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Destroying your neighborhood is not going to enact social change any faster.
    Thats honestly debatable. You can hate my examples but even you have to admit peaceful means haven't led to much police reform if any. Best way to prevent these riots and unrest is to address the problem. And as you pointed out police brutality is a root cause that affects all races. That means its up to everyone and not just African-Americans to enact change.

    Spiting yourself and preventing your neighborhood from undergoing any sort of infrastructural or social progress is not going to make institutional racism go away faster. I think it’s pretty obvious to see that even if peaceful protesting doesn’t do much, neither does violent rioting, and only one of them comes at the cost of victimizing countless other people as well. What exactly do you expect from these pointless riots, a race revolution or something?
    I don't expect anything. America hasn't changed regardless of past incidents and it certainly won't do it now. I guess those rioting will hope they force change. We'll see.

  19. #79
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,859

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Looking at these mass protests and civil disorder in the virus hotspots of New York, Washington and Minneapolis, you wonder what the implications will be on the spread of Covid 19. It is the only winner and their biggest enemy, more deadly than any prejudiced police officer. The statistics are bad enough as it is, especially amongst African Americans. They stand to be considerably worse after this weekends events.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Death of George Floyd and Subsequent Riots.

    Gotta give respect to those protestors who don't use th1e murder as an excuse to rob and chaos. Geez, all this does is give Trump an excuse for further militarization.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •