Thread: Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

Default Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

The Future of Awards is Now!

Salve Cives! The purpose of this thread is to discuss, suggest, and otherwise propose potential new awards for the TWC. In the past, some of this discussion has taken place in the thread Citizenship and Other Awards Suggestions, but Flinn rightly pointed out that that thread was created for the purpose of suggesting members who (might) deserve awards, but not for discussing new awards themselves. In an effort to remedy that, I am creating this thread.

In an effort to keep the discussions here as clear, fruitful, and constructive as possible, I would ask that posters make some indication as to whether they are making hard proposals for some award they think is really merited, whether they are merely "spit-balling" some rough idea they have in mind in the hopes of generating discussion, or whether they are directly responding to some other suggestion or proposal already put forward. No schematic or template is necessary, but just give some indicator as to what the purpose of your post is (my main thought here is to distinguish between those who want to put forward a concrete idea and those who want to put forward a general notion in the hopes of crowdsourcing more concrete proposals).

Anyway, with those preliminaries out of the way, let us get to proposing and discussing, and hopefully by the end of it all we'll have a site that's a bit richer and more rewarding for members!

So, here is my first suggestion, and something I've been thinking about for some time.

I have been thinking about whether it might be clever to include some intermediary "Milestone" awards. 10 years and 10,000 posts is lovely round set of requirements, but maybe having awards for 1 and 1000 and 5 and 5000 would be clever as well. My thinking is that it might entice some newer members to be more active, and to get them to hang around a bit longer. I don't know if that would make current Milestone holders feel like their award has been cheapened, but I can imagine that such a fleshing out the milestone awards might steer a few new souls into participating more. Especially as one year is easy to get behind you, but for newer folks, it can be hard to get 1000 posts. At any rate, it is hard until you find areas where posting is regular, but those are precisely the more "community" oriented parts of the site, and that's where we should be pointing new folks, if we want them to stick around and contribute to the community.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 29, 2020 at 04:25 AM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Default Re: Citizenship and Other Awards Suggestions

Sure, that sounds fine to me.

Join the Thema Devia Discord here.
    If you would like a TWC Wiki page made for you click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Proud Adopted Patron of Cope

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

I like the sound of that
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Absurdist
    Civitate

Sounds like a great plan

Chapter XXVII: The Choice
    #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForCal #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForAthelchan

Flinn's Avatar Jokersconi abides...
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director

Blog Entries

please check the Milestone award discussion, since we already approached the matter of having it laddered

however, while I see from where you are coming from, the idea of the MILESTONE itself makes it so that it has to be one single important achievement, so rather than modifying that award, I would think on something different for intermediate achievements

as I'm here, I always wanted to propose an amendment to the Milestone award so that it would trigger at 15 years even if one doesn't have the 10k posts, what do ya people think?

edit:

Awarded to those who have been on TWC for 10 years and have accumulated 10,000 posts or have been on TWC for 15 years and have accumulated 5,000, and have posted after completing both of the former.
    5000 posts over 15 years is really nothing (a post every 10 days or so), we can even think of putting no limit, but come on, if you haven't posted 5000 times in 15 years, how can you call yourself a "member" of the community?
    Last edited by Flinn; May 28, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

please check the Milestone award discussion
    Do you have a link?

however, while I see from where you are coming from, the idea of the MILESTONE itself makes it so that it has to be one single important achievement, so rather than modifying that award, I would think on something different for intermediate achievements
    I agree. A 5years/5k posts is something else that's appealing to me. I'm not sure I like the 1year/1k posts thing too much.

as I'm here, I always wanted to propose an amendment to the Milestone award so that it would trigger at 15 years even of one doesn't have the 10k posts, what do ya people think?
    Would you give them the same award or would we make a different one? Seems weird to give them the 10 year award at 15 years even though I understand the logic. I like the idea of giving out an award for 15 years though, I'm just not sure the 10 year milestone award is the right one.

Imperator Majora's Avatar What's under your mask?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd like it if there was an automation of milestones like this to mark someone's 'progress' as a user, in a way that would blend in with titles and rep. Honestly though, I'm not even the largest fan of the milestone award as is; the 'tiering' feels like clutter, particularly with the shorter periods. In reconciling awards personally, I think they best serve as a metric for what you've done more specifically, not as a general 'great, you threw posts around and existed for x period of time!'. Exception for the current milestone given it invokes at an admittedly pretty significant point. If anything I'd prefer more qualitative additions to the award list. But I digress since there's nothing about the idea that wouldn't fit the site as I see it.

So I understand the points that are contrary to the suggestion, and I can sympathize with the detractors' sentiments. But I still think there is something worth doing.

@Flinn: I am not sold on the auto-trigger at 15 years. It gives people an award just for having been around. I mean, there are folks who will have registered simply to ask one or two support questions about mods, and nothing else, and their mere presence for so long doesn't seem like an "achievement" worth decorating. So I wouldn't want milestones to be linked only to time, but always instead to time and participation together.

@Imperator: I get your feeling that the milestoning is something of a "clutter", and that some properly qualitative awards would be good to add (rather than such trivial things as having been around and active in some fashion). But that being said, I believe it might be clever if we were to consider some type(s) of awards that are more generalist in nature, just so that we can provide little gimmicks for getting semi-active people to be more active. My main thought is thus not really about the award itself, but rather about subtle ways to improve site traffic, and do so in a way that encourages regular participation. Are there any other kinds of awards that might be suggested to perform such a service?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Default Re: Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

This is a great idea, thread stickied .

Thanks Kilo!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Default Re: Proposals, Suggestions, and Discussion of New Awards

Hate to be an art critic of volunteers, but am I the only one who really doesn't like the look of the Milestone award?
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Imperator Majora's Avatar What's under your mask?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    @Imperator: I get your feeling that the milestoning is something of a "clutter", and that some properly qualitative awards would be good to add (rather than such trivial things as having been around and active in some fashion). But that being said, I believe it might be clever if we were to consider some type(s) of awards that are more generalist in nature, just so that we can provide little gimmicks for getting semi-active people to be more active. My main thought is thus not really about the award itself, but rather about subtle ways to improve site traffic, and do so in a way that encourages regular participation. Are there any other kinds of awards that might be suggested to perform such a service?
    Subtle improvements of site traffic are in my opinion outside the remit of simply adding awards. The most effective methods require a technical backend we don't currently have or a level of drive to 'change the game' it seems we can't muster. I intend to construct a forum as a proof of concept and also help out a community in need of a central hub; though it'll be xenforo and far more humble in size, perhaps that'll give some ideas.

As far as awards awarding the act of being a generally contributing member, that is the essence of my desire to remake the modding awards into three-tier paths; one for the act of releasing content (mod, submod, etc), the other for people being helpful (guides, tools, and participation in troubleshooting). It's mainly fallen aside for lack of proper naming and visual design. I guess I warmed to the idea after seeing its growing adaptation for the wiki and blogs. It might not be qualitative for the blogs, but given its usual content and inherent requirements, it does the job perfectly well imo.