Thread: Old skirmishers tactical bug

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Old skirmishers tactical bug

So we get a new tactical AI with some good potential but tactical engine still sing same old song about defend mode - archers and especially skirmishers still start their suicidal rally to attacking enemy from own defensive line.

Maybe somebody discovered a way to fix it with config_ai_battle to make skirmishers hold their position in army formation before enemy comes closer? It's vital to fix this issue for normal battle performance.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Old skirmishers tactical bug

Shouldn't there be a value in that file setting the distance from which certain type of units can actually "see" the enemy? Maybe lowering that value you can fix that.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Double post
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Seems that it's not an engage distance, but an AI order to shoot'em up. I think there should be a parameter about missile attack priority.

I decided to start investigation ab ovo and look at Rome I files. Realized that this ranged units bug in M2 is Rome's legacy. At the moment didn't find any information about battle_config and config_ai_battle for Rome. Are they exist in Rome or maybe similar files with another names?

Have you tried a different approach - turning off skirmishing from foot missile units (keep for cavalry and javelins )
    As it is they often run backwards and forwards being useless.
    Might be better for them to stay put, keep firing and accept they'll take casualties if engaged in melee.

I even set Hold_Fire melee state for them in defend purposed ai_formation, they stand for 1-2 seconds and then run towards enemy again.

I'll try Fire_At_Will only as you suggest. But seems that it's friendly-to-enemy-missile-strenght modificator or something like this is the solution.

I saw mention about passive behavior even in attack in Darth Vader's mod, so technicaly it's possible to do it, we just have to find a way.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I think the EBII team has gathered much experience in this (iirc, they turned on and off javelins between various versions, perhaps because of this issue).

As a start I used z3n's .xml from Skynet, seems that problems are the same.

Now I'm trying to change parameters there but their names and purpose are totally uncertain - outshoot-bias, stall-limit, missile-contribution etc. All I see is that changing those parameters have effect, mostly negative - units ignores enemy untill the melee cohesion and don't help fighting neighbours that suffer just near. So those findings are blind and low effective but I keep it on.