Thread: Is there any submod to speed up the integration of Peregrinii or slow the AI's blobbing?

MrManFreak's Avatar Libertus

Default Is there any submod to speed up the integration of Peregrinii or slow the AI's blobbing?

Right now the current rate of integration is leaving my legions side-lined for a long time, I can't really afford to take them back home either since they have to defend the newly acquired settlements, it's leading to me taking 10-15+ turns between securing my territory/replenishing my legions and advancing yet again. Personally I'd 100% be okay with this if the AI didn't blob so much, I'd be okay with turtling in Italy for 200 turns but I don't wanna end up exclusively fighting Egyptians or Thrakians when I get out, which is what I'm seeing since the Odrysions have already conquered all of Macedonia and Illyria.

I have experience with PFM if someone wants to guide me, I know I can entirely turn off the mechanic that turns every pop into a peregrinii once a city is conquered but I'd rather not do that and just look for a faster integration instead.

Alex(España)'s Avatar Civis

Default Re: Is there any submod to speed up the integration of Peregrinii or slow the AI's blobbing?

+1
    Si en el frente veis a unos soldados sucios, mal afeitados, con el uniforme desabrochado y las botas rotas, cuadraos ante el, es un héroe, es un español.

Sobre los muchachos de la División Azul.

Default Re: Is there any submod to speed up the integration of Peregrinii or slow the AI's blobbing?

I recently played a campaign and I didn't have these problems at all to be honest. I was able to replenish within a few turns or simply by backtracking one region with one army while the other held. At some points, depending on army composition, I was able to replenish within 1 turn. If anything I think its a bit too easy Legions, if you mean Marian, are in fact the easiest on this in regards to replenishment. So I am not really sure what is going on if you take 10-15 turns. Something isn't right or that is an extreme exaggeration. You also need to be aware of army composition and use local troops if needed in that situation.

There is no "faster integration" or integration at all. You would need to increase the growth rate for the different classes which would basically nullify the system. At that point I would just turn it off if you don't like it I guess. Otherwise its found under population modifiers in the script files.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I recently played a campaign and I didn't have these problems at all to be honest. I was able to replenish within a few turns or simply by backtracking one region with one army while the other held. At some points, depending on army composition, I was able to replenish within 1 turn. If anything I think its a bit too easy Legions, if you mean Marian, are in fact the easiest on this in regards to replenishment. So I am not really sure what is going on if you take 10-15 turns. Something isn't right or that is an extreme exaggeration. You also need to be aware of army composition and use local troops if needed in that situation.

There is no "faster integration" or integration at all. You would need to increase the growth rate for the different classes which would basically nullify the system. At that point I would just turn it off if you don't like it I guess. Otherwise its found under population modifiers in the script files.

It's Polybian Legions, I try to keep a semi-historical composition with 2 Velites, 2 Archers, 4 Equites, 6 Principes, 6 Hastati, 3 Triarii, 2 Socii Hastati, 2 Socii Triarii and 2 Socii Principes, I play with 30 unit limit on Ultra so maybe that's what's putting a strain on my population but for example after conquering Patavium and Genoa at relatively the same time I was a bit stuck, my 2 battered Legions were stuck on both settlements with full stacks and fleets hovering around the settlements, I tried to take them back a couple times to replenish and I ended up having to retake the settlements when I did that. Caralis also had a large majority of Peregrinii even after 20 turns or so.
    I know that Marian Legions ease the issue quite a lot since I checked the files and noticed they replenish from Proletarii and Plebs but right now it's a very slow crawl. I mean I'm open to suggestions and I'll definitly try that one region at a time strategy, perhaps I'm not building my cities correctly, this isn't at all a criticism towards the mod since I know I'd probably not be facing this issue if I played it normally.

I should mention that I also play with 8TPY which I plan on reducing to 4 or 2 TPY once I figure out how to expand efficiently, I noticed there's tpy growth division modifier so I don't know if this would also affect it?
    Last edited by MrManFreak; May 28, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

I'd say 30 units per army is the apple of discord, as it were.

There are 2 or 3 civil technologies that increase 2nd and 3rd class pop growth (some factions have one in one of the military trees, too), I usually rush them after getting the region growth one and any other that are must-haves for my opening strategy. There are also some building evolutions that are more skewed toward 2nd class pop growth as opposed to 1st or 3rd, but I usually don't need to factor that in my decision making. Upgrading towns and cities main chain also increases pop growth, so do it ASAP. Granaries, Supply Complexes and some temples affect replenishment rates and specific tier pop growth.

Naturally, sufficient tier 2 pop is only one side of the coin. Other factors at work are whether your general has the replenishment skill developed, if you have a champion in the army with +replenishment and if the weather doesn't affect replenishment rates. The last one is a big consideration when you play with more than 4tpy (I'm at 12 and I love it). The first tier of one of the military tech trees also gives 3% extra replenishment for very little research time invested. It seems meagre, but once you start stacking all of those small factors, it's quite noticeable. Sometimes, I'd might even opt for developing replenishment before campaign movement on my first general, depending on my starting faction and its location.
    Last edited by Iskandar; May 29, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Thanks a lot for the answer Iskandar! I'll definitly take what you said in mind, altho I haven't bothered too much with Replenishment Rate modifiers since the issue isn't how fast my units replenish once there's population, it's how frequently the replenishment is halted by the lack of population itself.

Right now I've spent 130 turns turtling up in Italy and I feel very strong and able to expand so I'll do that with the current mod mechanics and then re-evaluate.

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

I find that having a local army that helps hold areas with AOR or other auxiliary troops can be beneficial.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

The village option that is yellow, like mini town center for the non major cities in a province, has some options that focus on turning that town into an immigration center (well, it's not literally immigration i think but that's the idea). Colonia decreases 4th pop and increases 1st, 2nd and 3rd by quite a bit

Also if you know beforehand where you want to expand you can send a governor to convert the province to your culture. The more the province is your culture the better when conquering in terms of population. I also have started taking the replenishment skill for my generals so i can just step them back one province and get lotsa fresh recruits.

You said legions so you're also going to be running into the same problem Rome had. Using auxiliaries and local troops helps alot since your frontiers will be mostly foreigners.

The only thing that super annoys me about the pop system is when a faction with different culture takes a town of mine and I retake it back I find that all my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class are gone even if there were a bunch there before it got taken. I imagine the reason it happened that way is cuz it was Magna Graecia and the faction was Epirus so there was quite a bit of Hellenic influence but it still irked me that they just up and vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinoinsomniac View Post
    The only thing that super annoys me about the pop system is when a faction with different culture takes a town of mine and I retake it back I find that all my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class are gone even if there were a bunch there before it got taken. I imagine the reason it happened that way is cuz it was Magna Graecia and the faction was Epirus so there was quite a bit of Hellenic influence but it still irked me that they just up and vanished.
    That's a coding limitation/choice i'm afraid.

Personally, I've added more technologies that increase pop growth and I also turn off taxes whenever I enter a new province, since that increases pop growth as well. You could also get the settlers submod, which would help you realistically replenish your legions, simply by having one legion go back to another territory, raise some settlers and then disbanding them in your new region.

For this specific problem I'm using the settlers submod and I love it!
    My Legions are followed by a general and his cohorts of civilian, eager to spread the latin culture.
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Settler-Units

This settlers mod will be very useful! Currently Caralis has 7.000 Patricii while Rome has 200 but with that mod I can easily fix that.

Hey Dardo, did you upload that population submod at all? I'd appreciate a copy.

No I haven't no, I can upload it as is, but it might be a bit too overpowered to everyone's liking, I also didn't really bother with adding tooltips to the new techs since I've been using it for myself, but if you know how to use the PFM tool, you can figure it out pretty quickly, although admittingly, it gets a bit messy to read, since each culture has its own techs and effects etc. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q-O...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks. I've done my own PFM work in the past, both for Rome 2 and other titles, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. A bit annoyed I'm going to have to update my reform mod for the new Median ones, but otherwise I'm happy with the new beta.

This issue is, after all, exactly the point of Marian Legionaries. If you didn't struggle with the Polybian troops, you wouldn't feel the impact and massive power increase of the Marian era.