Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: General discussion (use of already implemented functions, etc.)

Default Re: General discussion (use of already implemented functions, etc.)

I think that the problem is that people simply don't take the time to try the tool, what would be the best way to realize how simple it is. So even with nice drawings and explainations in all languages the problem will remain the same.

Default Memory handling between battle-map and campaign map for textures etc?

There have been a few instances previously where crashes seem to have been caused by the game trying to keep both the campaign textures and battle-map textures in memory simultaneously (and the combined total of the modded versions exceeding allotted capacity). On the basis that the game uses a loading screen to switch between the two modes, I'd assume it isn't necessary for it to keep both in memory except to speed up the loading process between the two modes?

Is that sort of stuff: A. visible to you within the areas you're looking at? and B. at all modifiable?

Default Re: Memory handling between battle-map and campaign map for textures etc?

Hello!
    I don’t quite understand what exactly do you mean
    It is logical that the game uses the loading screen, because this process is not fast
    The game may also have problems with memory allocation (or maybe not, I didn’t notice), but probably nothing bad should happen if you periodically close the game and do not save-load too often.
    It also seems to me that you should not create topics with questions, because you can instead write to existing ones.
    In general, write down in more detail what you mean. And I will combine the topic later with the topic of discussion, if you do not mind. If, based on the results, we do something worthwhile, then this can already be distinguished as a separate topic.

Default Re: Memory handling between battle-map and campaign map for textures etc?

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    It also seems to me that you should not create topics with questions, because you can instead write to existing ones.
    In general, write down in more detail what you mean. And I will combine the topic later with the topic of discussion, if you do not mind. If, based on the results, we do something worthwhile, then this can already be distinguished as a separate topic.
    Sorry please merge this where you think it should go - I wasn't quite sure where it belonged...

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    It is logical that the game uses the loading screen, because this process is not fast
    The game may also have problems with memory allocation (or maybe not, I didn’t notice), but probably nothing bad should happen if you periodically close the game and do not save-load too often.
    What I meant was could you force the game to de-load any battle-map textures it's hanging on to in memory when it enters the loading screen at the end of the battle? I've had various issues where it seems to get stuck because it's retaining both the battle-map and campaign-map graphics information at the same time. This was the only place where I could find it written up (2009!):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I'm getting "Fatal Graphics Error" or just plain "unspecified error" CTD's after exiting large_castle / fortress level siege battle and attempting to return to campaign strat map. Video options have to go right down to low to avoid crash - as computer should be capable of high, that's obviously not something I want to have to specify for mod users

We have more complex strat map trees and ground textures than vanilla - though the texture sizes are generally the same more variations are used and more tree .cas types are in use. Initial campaign map load - scrolling and season switches through turns works fine - and going in and out of other battle types works fine.

If I take out all our (strat) trees (delete descr_climates.txt from mod folder) coming out of fortress siege works again.
    If I leave trees in and take out strat ground textures instead (delete descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt) again that fixes problem.
    Removing our strat settlement model variants doesn't help.
    Using the lower res blockset textures in battle doesn't help.

I assume issue is that the siege battle doesn't release video memory effectively enough to give space to load our strat textures properly.

Can anyone advise on any way to make siege battles behave better (this and other problem with unit path name length causing problem only in sieges seems to point to something buggy about way sieges load and unload) - is there anyway to force a 'wait' or memory clearance via script?

Alternatively any advice on optimising things re trees / textures. Does anyone know what has most influence? The number of textures / models being used in total or the size of the ones that are most repeated or what? Any ideas at all on how I can predict at what point additional textures are likely to cause problem for other users with different computers!!!

Attempting; save > quit game > reload, wasn't possible as you can't get a valid save unless you can get back to the campaign map... and that was crashing on the first instance from; load campaign > fight siege > game attempts strat map reload = CTD

The other thing that showed up that the game has some buggy behaviour around battlefield textures was the descr_geography db rebuild issue. e.g. if you allowed the game to rebuild the descr_geography_new.db at start up from a descr_geography_new.txt file that had lots of battlefield textures specified in it, the game would then ctd in the campaign map (without any battles being initiated!). It was relatively obviously loading all the specified textures into memory during the rebuild process and not clearing the space before entering the campaign.
    NB: I'm not bothered about trying to get the geography rebuild fixed as there are easy work-arounds (use IWTE to edit it, or re-build once without attempting to load map after a re-build) it was just the more obvious example of the game not clearing texture memory.

In the end this was a general question:
    Can you tell easily what it's attempting to hold in memory at a certain point (e.g. whilst it's reloading the campaign after battle)?
    If you can see that, can you also prod it to remove things from cache and clear space it doesn't actually need??

Apologies if these questions don't make sense! I've very impressed with what you're managing to do, but understand very little of it!

Default Re: Characters Labels Overhaul (scripting capabilities improvement)

I have done a test with 198 labels, each of them requiring simply an ancillary, and the impact on the length of turn was very significant, even on bare_geomod which however is very light. Since all the characters are tested (i guess), that's not totally surprising, but the impact is sufficiently important to make me ask if that's really a consequence expected?

Erken
    This is likely affected by logging. You used only a config, without scripts?
    Please drop me a folder with the mod (and your configs naturally) with which you tested it, I will check it for myself.
    Perhaps I will make logging optional or make other changes.

Yes, it was just with the config file, so you can test it with any mod, the result will be the same. http://www.mediafire.com/file/fgqrme...abels.zip/file

You are probably right with the logging, the all.youneuoylog file had around 150 000 lines for bare_geomod, and more than 350 000 for EBII after just one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    Yes, it was just with the config file, so you can test it with any mod, the result will be the same. http://www.mediafire.com/file/fgqrme...abels.zip/file

You are probably right with the logging, the all.youneuoylog file had around 150 000 lines for bare_geomod, and more than 350 000 for EBII after just one turn.
    Ok, in the next update I will add an option that partially disables logging.
    Tested - with full logging your labels are processed for me ~ 13 seconds, with partial almost instantly.
    I was going to add this option, but constantly put it off for later
    By the way, a large number of innovations have accumulated for the patch, I think next week I will make an update.

I've started to work on the UI resolution as I've promised.

The overall resolution and placement of UI elements are gonna be controlled through a CFG. I need some testers to help me name them better. Send a PM to me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    I've started to work on the UI resolution as I've promised.

The overall resolution and placement of UI elements are gonna be controlled through a CFG. I need some testers to help me name them better. Send a PM to me if you're interested.
    So did you already succeed? Is there anything to test?

What do you mean succeeded? I've already told you that i found where the game stores the information about the UI stuff and how to change it. Testing is not about trying if it works or not. It's for the naming of the elements since there are many of them so I though a collobrative work will do the job.

What do you mean succeeded? I've already told you that i found where the game stores the information about the UI stuff and how to change it. Testing is not about trying if it works or not. It's for the naming of the elements since there are many of them so I though a collobrative work will do the job.
    Yeah, it’s not difficult to find, but it’s probably more difficult to change. I don’t understand why you need testers, if you haven’t done it yet, that’s all)
    You should not guarantee success in this case(I also think it's probably worth starting with simpler things), write if you need help or you will finish what you are doing. Otherwise, I do not think that makes sense

What you write is quite difficult, all I can say is that when you enter or leave a battle, the game first frees up memory and only then starts loading new data.
    If you are absolutely sure that you did everything correctly, you can give me your mod and save game, I'll see if anything can be done. Probably then it will turn out to see the cause of the problem (but not the fact).

I really don't understand what you trying to say and what you want me to do? Leave the project? What do you mean by "starting with simpler things" like what exactly? "Guaranteeing success" What does it mean? Testing is for unfinished products not for shipped ones. As I've told in the other post i need testers for better <<<<<NAMING>>>>> of the elements that I've wrote down.

I really don't understand what you trying to say and what you want me to do? Leave the project? What do you mean by "starting with simpler things" like what exactly? "Guaranteeing success" What does it mean? Testing is for unfinished products not for shipped ones. As I've told in the other post i need testers for better <<<<<NAMING>>>>> of the elements that I've wrote down.
    Heh, probably we better not continue this conversation here. I will write to you in Steam, ok? By the way, it’s strange that you yourself did not write to me about this, I thought that you yourself had already left the project a long time ago

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Oh please show and tell.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

For one, I would like to recommend both of you to chill a little, specially you Aura, who seems to be a tad at the defensive. You both are making a great work and would be a shame to have it stained by infigthing.

Second I would like to test that too.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Oh please show and tell.
    Are you talking about a list of changes? I will write in more detail on the weekend when I evaluate which of the changes I will be able to complete in the next update.
    Well, later I will transfer part of the messages from this topic to the topic of discussion.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Guys...
    Dont pay much attention to words.
    We all come from different countries and sometimes even with different alphabet.
    I get the impression that sometimes we dont understand each other here because we misunderstand words.

Leave this and lets collaborate!
    I offer myself as a tester for the screen resolution thing!

Leo have you tried the tool yet? If you ever manage to implement it on your submod it would be awesome. Being as popular as it is woulf give the tool a good spread of popularity too.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM.