Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JLMP's fixes & stuff

Default Re: JLMP's stuff (sound fixes, QoLs, English faction names etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    Does the English names work file you have work with the current release (0.96)?
    Nope, sorry - but @XXZit did it for 096: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...4-XXZit-Tweaks

Updated English faction names, now since 097 is out:

- standarised factional adjectives on the stratmap's locations
    e.g. "City - al-Khilafah al-‘Abbasiyyah" got renamed to "Abbasid City"
    in our official version there are already plenty of English names like Abbasid Minister or Abbasid Army anyway, so it made sense to me to normalise it.

- corrected "Crown of Poland" and "Crown of Norman Sicily" to "Kingdom of Poland" and "Kingdom of Sicily"
    - removed the last "byzantine" leftovers
    - changed term "Crusader" to "Outremer" (e.g. Crusader City to Outremer City)

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@JLMP: Has fixation of all voices on the battlefield been included in SSHIP version 0.9.7 ?
    With my SSHIP 0.9.7+ patch D + Sound-fix non-english installation (French version) almost all non-western or non-Arab units have no voice on the battlefield.
    Is it a specificity of the non-English versions or just a non-integration of your mod ?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @JLMP: Has fixation of all voices on the battlefield been included in SSHIP version 0.9.7 ?
    With my SSHIP 0.9.7+ patch D + Sound-fix non-english installation (French version) almost all non-western or non-Arab units have no voice on the battlefield.
    Is it a specificity of the non-English versions or just a non-integration of your mod ?
    Just to note: in the patches (at least until D) there're no files related to sound. This means that everything is as it was in the install 0.97.

I know that. The question is: does SSHIP 0.9.7 contain the JLMP sound files which are supposed to correct the voicelessness of some units on the battlefield ?

@kostic

Short answer:
    Yes (no) but nonenglish versions are fubar :/

Long anwer:
    Just for clarification, my voice fixes didn't add any voice files (well, except a few for princesses) I just made existing M2TW sounds apply to new units.

Now, the problem lies within descr_sounds_accents.txt and export_descr_unit.txt

Nonenglish game versions omit East_European accent and just use English one instead, but export_descr_unit.txt forces certain units to speak with east_european accent. Since your game doesn't have East_European voice files, it makes them mute.

Why it's fubar - because a solution is twofold:
    - either remove every conflicting forced accent from EDU to tailor it towards nonenglish games - which means it needs to be updated EVERY time someone touches EDU <insert terrified face>
    - or remove forced accents entirely, ruining many voices for all localizations <insert crying face>

Good news is, at least my fixes should have made more voices work in nonenglish versions anyway than there previously were (I hope so)
    Last edited by Just let me post; November 06, 2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    @kostic

Short answer:
    Yes (no) but nonenglish versions are fubar :/

Long anwer:
    Just for clarification, my voice fixes didn't add any voice files (well, except a few for princesses) I just made existing M2TW sounds apply to new units.

Now, the problem lies within descr_sounds_accents.txt and export_descr_unit.txt

Nonenglish game versions omit East_European accent and just use English one instead, but export_descr_unit.txt forces certain units to speak with east_european accent. Since your game doesn't have East_European voice files, it makes them mute.

Why it's fubar - because a solution is twofold:
    - either remove every conflicting forced accent from EDU to tailor it towards nonenglish games - which means it needs to be updated EVERY time someone touches EDU <insert terrified face>
    - or remove forced accents entirely, ruining many voices for all localizations <insert crying face>

Good news is, at least my fixes should have made more voices work in nonenglish versions anyway than there previously were (I hope so)
    Wouldn't a solution be to change the accents types for each localization? Add east_european, then new descr_sound_unit_voice and soldier_voice files that include a east_european accent but list the files available in the localization (There are 5. Ikr, lots of boring work, but at least you can keep english version east_european voices and wouldn't have to touch the EDU I think).
    Last edited by removeduser_28376423423; November 06, 2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post
    Wouldn't a solution be to change the accents types for each localization? Add east_european, then new descr_sound_unit_voice and soldier_voice files that include a east_european accent but list the files available in the localization (There are 5. Ikr, lots of boring work, but at least you can keep english version east_european voices and wouldn't have to touch the EDU I think).
    Wait, good one - it might be actually even easier:

Replace East_European entries with English copy paste in export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt and export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt, then simply add missing forced accented units from EDU but with English equivalent voices

brb doing it
    Last edited by Just let me post; November 06, 2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: also in export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt

Ok, here is experimental French + German + Russian soundfix
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/s971s0...DE+RU.zip/file

Eastern European units (all of them) should talk now:
    - in stratmap and individual battlemap voices - with the same accent as England in your localizations
    - in group battlemap voices - with the same accent as Mediterranean factions in your localizations

It would be an absolute pain to make group battlemap voices use England's accent as well - there are too few English accent voicelines and it would require a lot of checking and testing.
    Please tell me if this sounds acceptable and whether any voices are missing.

In case something goes wrong just use this to revert changes
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/swyi7e...+BACK.zip/file

I will do Italian + Spanish soundfix later, it will be harder as it requires reassigning each Scottish unit manually (blame your publishers, btw I actually wonder how does Spanish with Scottish accent sound)
    Last edited by Just let me post; November 06, 2020 at 04:41 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

but export_descr_unit.txt forces certain units to speak with east_european accent.
    As the EDU entries only have the 'voice type' entry (light, heavy, general) as reference I am not sure how that forces a certain accent: these definitions are subordinate to the accent entry in the sound text files. See the descr_sounds_units_confirm file which uses the 'voice type' reference from the EDU:
    Code:
        accent Mediterranean, English, Scottish, German, French, East_European, Arabic, Mongolian
            class General, Heavy
                 event lod 5 minpitch .8 maxpitch 1.0
                   folder data/sounds/voice/human/generic
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_01
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_02
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_03
                 end

event lod 10 minpitch .8 maxpitch 1.0
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_01
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_02
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_03
                 end

event lod 30 minpitch .8 maxpitch 1.0 
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_01
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_02
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_03
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_04
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_05
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_06

end

class Light
                 event lod 5 minpitch .9 maxpitch 1.05
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_01
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_02
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_Small_03
                 end

event lod 10 minpitch .9 maxpitch 1.05
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_01
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_02
                   Infantry_Group_Confirm_medium_03
                 end

event lod 30 minpitch .9 maxpitch 1.05
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_01
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_02
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_03
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_04
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_05
                  Infantry_Group_Confirm_Large_06
                end
    The above simply means that if you have a custom accent not listed here then the unit will not 'speak' when given a command. The sound files themselves are generic and the accents could be split into individual section headers like in other sound files.

Files that use 'class, type or category' entry are often not bound to any accent like the descr_sounds_unit_reform file that specifies a generic sound, not a voice as such (see also the RotK example for actual voices where the section is subordinate to the accent):
    Code:
    BANK: unit_reform

unit infantry light, skirmish, missile, heavy, spearmen
            season summer, winter
                terrain  grass_short, grass_long,forest_dense, scrub_dense, swamp, mud, mud_road, ice, snow, water, stone_road, rock, dirt, wood, sand
                    event lod 20
                        folder data/sounds/SFX/group/infantry
                        testudo_group_01
                    end
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 06, 2020 at 09:04 PM.

@ Gigantus

Yes, I made an oversimplification, but this forces accents in EDU:
    Code:
    type             Lith Bodyguard
    dictionary       Lith_Bodyguard      ; General's Bodyguard : feudal knight, bodyguard
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General
    accent         East_European
    There a lot of them in SSHIP
    Also btw I forgot that to complete the new soundfix I need to add EE recruitable units (without forced accent) entries to English accent to make it work

Blog Entries

I have to admit it's the first time I have seen this 'accent' entry. Does it actually work, eg does it override the faction's accent?
    It seems a bit pointless in my eyes (see accent vs sole ownership for that Lithuanian Bodyguard unit) unless you have a true custom accent (different then the owning factions) that then allows to play weird sound files when the unit is selected or confirms orders. The only other use would be for 'true' mercenaries (recruitable through merc panel for all factions) and\or bribable army units, eg an EE unit captured by ME, which requires that the unit has both ownerships, if you want to go into that level of authenticity.
    You can easily disable that by using find\replace with a semi colon in front or replace the accent where required.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 07, 2020 at 08:33 AM.

I'm surprised you haven't seen that since it's how vanilla game works

Yup, it changes a unit's accent on battlemap and stratmap, in SSHIP there are a lot mercs recruitable through normal merc pool but also in cities, so this was to ensure they speak up correctly and maintain (some) authenticity.

It's useful cause that way they keep their accent in battles but also in campaign, regardless of ownership. Especially since EDU gets edited many times as the mod is getting redesigned every once in a while.

Sometimes... it is pointless indeed, like for the Bodyguard unit here. But there were literally thousands of entries I needed to edit, so for the ease of work I left out a few things like this. Normally one wouldn't notice anything, the problem only surfaces when someone plays other localizations than English.

Ok, here is experimental French + German + Russian soundfix
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/s971s0...DE+RU.zip/file

Eastern European units (all of them) should talk now:
    - in stratmap and individual battlemap voices - with the same accent as England in your localizations
    - in group battlemap voices - with the same accent as Mediterranean factions in your localizations

It would be an absolute pain to make group battlemap voices use England's accent as well - there are too few English accent voicelines and it would require a lot of checking and testing.
    Please tell me if this sounds acceptable and whether any voices are missing.

In case something goes wrong just use this to revert changes
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/swyi7e...+BACK.zip/file

I will do Italian + Spanish soundfix later, it will be harder as it requires reassigning each Scottish unit manually (blame your publishers, btw I actually wonder how does Spanish with Scottish accent sound)
    I tested your patch. Overall it seems to be working. Some units remain silent but most respond! Well done !

I take this opportunity to thank you again for all the music you added to the mod. It's really nice to make all these trips thanks to the music !

I will do Italian + Spanish soundfix later, it will be harder as it requires reassigning each Scottish unit manually (blame your publishers, btw I actually wonder how does Spanish with Scottish accent sound
    I thought there wasn't a separate scottish accent in the localizations? I have the spanish one, and there's no east euro, mongol and scottish.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised you haven't seen that since it's how vanilla game works
    Totally weird, I have to admit. Probably old age setting in as I can see that we used it in the 1648 mod for 'true' mercenaries.

@JLMP : One detail, however: the French game does not contain a Scottish accent. It is therefore normal that the Scottish faction is silent on the campaign map. So we should put Scotland with the English accent I think.

Thanks for the feedback, previously I thought only Italian and Spanish versions were missing the Scottish accent, since no one reported it b4. I guess publishers were lazy and ommited it A shame really.

But that means there is only one soundfix for all nonenglish versions to be made, not two, and I can redo this properly this time.

Update:

Improved soundtrack: uploaded, enjoy your battles

Some other stuff: uploaded

Improved non-english soundfix: wip

Thanks JLMP. I'm going to try your new compilation.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast