Thread: Loading savegame - crash on loading screen

Default Loading savegame - crash on loading screen

Hello all,

just registered and my first post unforunately is directly related to a technical issue

Tried both Steam and the TW center versions (using mod launcher 2.0) of DEI, using the following vid for the install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15GsYE5dvuo

Also read through various old posts re. checking the Steam game file integrity, not using any other mods etc.

I have R2TW Spartan Edition on a clean install of Win10 using Steam (brand new gaming computer). R2TW runs perfectly fine w/o mods (but to me feels a bit dull - no offence) and DEI has been and would be the only mod I'd be using for R2TW.

Running DEI, I can start a grand campaign and play with no crashes, lags etc. Custom battles also works fine. The game crashes as soon as I want to load a savegame or continue the campaign, getting stuck on the loading screen.

Already did a new clean D/L and install of R2TW and that did not help either. Got the latest crash log file at hand if that helps.

Should I keep this thread here or better post in the DEI tech thread?

Any help greatly appreciated, many thanks

Default Re: Loading savegame - crash on loading screen

Do you have any others mods in the data folder?

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Do you have any others mods in the data folder?
    Thanks for coming back. There are no other mods installed, I started with a clean installation of R2TW Steam version and only installed DEI using the Steam workshop.

I did however initially put the four files from the twcenter download into the data folder and ran R2TW, not using the mod manager.
    As that (obviously) would not work, I went instead for the steam version of DEI.

I had an error message "Virtual alloc (at place two) returned null" or sth similar on one of the initial crashed and read somewhere that it could have to do with traces of "old" mods still existing even if deleted.

In the meantime I have however completely deleted and reinstalled R2TW as well as deleted and reinstalled (via steam game file integrity check) rome2.exe

Could that initial botched installation have caused the crashes? If yes, I am a bit surprised they continue despite a reinstallation.

Many thanks in advance,

I am not sure about the "sparta" edition, I have never seen that one. I assume its one that comes with certain DLCs and should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I am not sure about the "sparta" edition, I have never seen that one. I assume its one that comes with certain DLCs and should be fine.
    Yes, indeed. It's the main game with the Wrath of Sparta DLC campaign and some unit packs. Came a bit cheaper actually than the standard version, which I think is called Emperor Edition in its latest version. So would not think it's anything out of the ordinary that would make it more prone to not get along with DEI.

Quick update on the above. PC started acting up more and more, guess related to Win10 v2004 update problems, the fun to be had with drivers on a Radeon 5700 as well as botched Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from an install related to Shogun 2 TW. Setting up the entire PC from scratch solved the matter. Now at about turn 150 into a Roman campaign as Equites sub-faction and having a blast.

I have been playing TW since Medieval 1 in 2002 and am a hardcore fan of M2 with Stainless Steel 6.4; but have to say: DEI beats everything!

Thanks so much, Dresden & team, for creating this magnificent mod ... and for taking the time to answer to my post in the first place.

Glad to hear it!