Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] LM badges and username color

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default [Discussion] LM badges and username color

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Modding Director & Modding Staff aren't in use ATM

the list can be found here in the wiki as well
    The local moderator badge haven't been used for almost 10 years and I think it's time to bring it back, just to offer modded citizens to choose which badge one wants to use without using a different group color.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the CA badge are no longer in use since the specific CA announcements forum was removed not long ago, so why keeping the CA badge.
    Last edited by Leonardo; June 03, 2020 at 04:29 PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Decision] Troy Badges Competition

What's the point of highlighting local mods, again?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The local moderator badge haven't been used for almost 10 years and I think it's time to bring it back, just to offer modded citizens to choose which badge one wants to use without using a different group color.
    I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that every badge goes with its usergroup and user color, ie. one cannot show the "citizen red" in the name and the "moderator badge", once you pick your primary usergroup that's what identifies your user color AND your badge. Also, I don't see the need of highlighting local mods.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the CA badge are no longer in use since the specific CA announcements forum was removed not long ago, so why keeping the CA badge.
    no worries, this has been already addressed and decided about
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that every badge goes with its usergroup and user color, ie. one cannot show the "citizen red" in the name and the "moderator badge", once you pick your primary usergroup that's what identifies your user color AND your badge. Also, I don't see the need of highlighting local mods.
    I know that about groups that has a specific color, but that's not what I meant by saying "without using a different group color" instead I mean not using the current group color LM's (not Content Staff) has today.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I suppose it helps local mods feel important or a larger part of the site. I recall my days as a wee local mod, wearing the silver as part of the auxilla.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I really don't understand what you meant with that either...

Do you mean that citizens who are also local moderators should get the choice between Citizen/Civitate/Artifex/Local Moderator ? Because that's the only way keeping the same group colour would work - but that would mean adding a new user-group, to have 'citizen-LM' and 'non-citizen-LM'

Also your example (hip63) could choose to display the Artifex or Patrician badge if he wanted to, opting for 'local moderator' as primary group might be because he didn't want to display a badge/ those colours... not everyone actually wants to show a badge/colour

...and anyway wasn't part of the reason we don't have "Local Moderator" badges because it confuses other users - as the badge will appear wherever they post, including areas they don't have powers in, and where they may not want to be bugged by people who get mixed up and ask them for help.

EDIT: I'm also not that sure there ever was a 'local mod' badge. I was a local mod for EoD from about 2007/8 onwards and don't remember it as an option apart from the name colour. Wiki page also doesn't have an example. 'Junior Moderator' did exist, but that was a split between levels of site mods, nothing to do with LMs.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

An award of sorts for having been a local moderator might be interesting. Wouldn't clog the user groups, would offer recognition without getting in the way or running into the potential confusion mentioned above.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, LM's do already have a degree of recognition in the custom user titles, silver flair, and ability to see deleted posts with the reasoning. Although I don't think they can view the actual post contents anymore. So the badge isn't really necessary especially if it will create confusion. And an award may not make sense, since what are they being awarded for and by what metric?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I can see the actual posts contents still.

I don't think an award makes sense.

I'm split on the idea of the badge. The grey username is already half of the way there, is there another user group besides default that has a different color but no badge? On the other hand, the concerns about confusion are valid as well. A "Local Moderator" badge could very easily be misunderstood by someone who is unfamiliar with the moderation system.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I can see the actual posts contents still.
    You should be able to see soft-deleted post contents and be able to 'manage' them in areas where you're a local mod. If you can see contents of the ones below here, you may have been given the wrong settings...

I must admit I like being able to see the delete reasons, especially when people forget we can see them

I'm split on the idea of the badge. The grey username is already half of the way there, is there another user group besides default that has a different color but no badge?
    The teal colour for Divus doesn't have a badge. They stopped having badges at the same time as Opifex/Phalera but re-gained or kept the colour.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [DISCUSSION] LM badges and username color

Split from the Troy badges thread

now, what is a LM? 99% of the case they are the team leader(s) of a hosted mod.. they have the LM powers mostly because they need them to keep their fora tied up. They are not real moderators (they cannot give infraction, for instance)... or they are former moderators to whom the surveillance of a specific area is assigned (like with me and the PH&A)... or they are senior staffers (i.e. Directors) who again need such powers to keep their assigned fora clean.

It might have been slightly different in the past I don't know, but such is today, and I really don't see the logic for a badge, and even less for an award
    Last edited by Flinn; June 05, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The teal colour for Divus doesn't have a badge. They stopped having badges at the same time as Opifex/Phalera but re-gained or kept the colour.
    All Divus has the Citizen badge now and sometimes Halie or Gig are showing the Citizen badge. Just check the oldest threads in the Curia or in the Prothalamos and most of the former hexes are showing the Citizen badge.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Discussion] LM badges and username color

Divus has no badge linked to it anymore - the citizen badge was linked to it by error (there never was a divus badge afaik) and the linkage got removed.

Here is how it looks using divus as primary display:

Last edited by Gigantus; June 05, 2020 at 05:51 AM.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Well, LM's do already have a degree of recognition in the custom user titles, silver flair, and ability to see deleted posts with the reasoning. Although I don't think they can view the actual post contents anymore. So the badge isn't really necessary especially if it will create confusion. And an award may not make sense, since what are they being awarded for and by what metric?
    What are TWC university students and professors awarded for? If we're going to put acknowledgement, it is ideal through this medium; I don't think it's necessary period, but if we make the argument, it's easier than an entire user group. If you're opposed to the award, the badge has even less function.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

There was a Divus badge, up until the ETW badges came out.

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?title=User_Badges

If you can see contents of the ones below here, you may have been given the wrong settings...
    Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant I can see them in the places where I'm a local mod .

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Damn, so I am now missing out on TWO badges? Must be a conspiracy, and seeing that the badges were discontinued round about the time you joined I also know whom to blame.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Finally, my machinations have come to fruition!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Majora View Post
    What are TWC university students and professors awarded for? If we're going to put acknowledgement, it is ideal through this medium; I don't think it's necessary period, but if we make the argument, it's easier than an entire user group. If you're opposed to the award, the badge has even less function.
    Those are usergroups for people who are either teaching a course in the TWC University (the professor usergroup) or a student on a course in the TWC University (the student usergroup). They give people the permissions they need to run/participate in a course. People should only be members of those usergroups while their course is running. (Other than any member of Hex who's still assigned to one or both of those groups, nobody else should be in those groups at the moment, because there are no courses running right now.)

Is that what you meant?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Those are usergroups for people who are either teaching a course in the TWC University (the professor usergroup) or a student on a course in the TWC University (the student usergroup). They give people the permissions they need to run/participate in a course. People should only be members of those usergroups while their course is running. (Other than any member of Hex who's still assigned to one or both of those groups, nobody else should be in those groups at the moment, because there are no courses running right now.)

Is that what you meant?
    These are what I mean. I find it more appropriate than adding a new badge to be displayed for local mods who've done their thing a while to be recognized as such - indicating that one's at least done a few things and thus permanently immortalizing them as a contributing member of the 'auxilla', not to speak for how this would be defined and individually measured. That's my compromise as someone who feels the extras aren't necessary in the first place; being a local mod is neither a qualitative assessment nor something a badge would be necessary for any more than a badge should be created for running a hotseat by itself in the competitions section.

Edit: Better example; this is exactly what I meant.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    There was a Divus badge, up until the ETW badges came out.

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?title=User_Badges

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant I can see them in the places where I'm a local mod .
    That's perfectly natural, I was just referring to the site forums as a whole.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast