Thread: Polybian Reform takes 33 turns ?

Default Polybian Reform takes 33 turns ?

Hi Team,

I'm playing Rome. Before the Polybian Reform, my recruitment was like 4, 4, 4 for Hastati, Principes and Triariis. Now I hit the reform and everything goes to 0 and tooltip says I need to wait about 33 turns.

Does this work as intended ? So there will be no recruitment for 33 turns or do I need to do something.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Polybian Reform takes 33 turns ?

OK looks like I over reacted.
    On some cities it's 33 turns, for Rome it's like 5 turns per unit.
    So that's fine please ignore this.

Event_counter switches reset recruitment to 0, then the pool has to refill. That's how things work in the game, mechanically.

Rome is, indeed, your main recruitment center for the game. To really boost recruitment in other Italic cities, you gotta build the Latin colonies. It is the Roman Empire, not the Latin Empire, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Event_counter switches reset recruitment to 0, then the pool has to refill. That's how things work in the game, mechanically.
    At the beginning of the Pergamon campaign, you can only recruit a bunch of levy units despite there being a Hellenistic Metropolis and Large Settler Towns. The higher-quality troops that those two offer become available on the second turn... but with their max refresh time. It's kinda annoying that you have to wait 25 turns to recruit for example the Katakoi Thraikes. Pergamon is the only faction to suffer from this. Is this intentional?

I remember reading in some places that the pools can start depleted or partially so by design. I think the most practical use is to restrict boats too early in game? Anyway I presume Pergamon is the same case.

Thanks for the info. Kinda sucks that the settlement with one of the most diverse pools at the start of the campaign begins depleted.

It's okay, you will probably only have money to recruit any of these units after 25 odd turns anyway. Just make use of the mercs, they are also an integral element of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    At the beginning of the Pergamon campaign, you can only recruit a bunch of levy units despite there being a Hellenistic Metropolis and Large Settler Towns. The higher-quality troops that those two offer become available on the second turn... but with their max refresh time. It's kinda annoying that you have to wait 25 turns to recruit for example the Katakoi Thraikes. Pergamon is the only faction to suffer from this. Is this intentional?
    As noted:

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I remember reading in some places that the pools can start depleted or partially so by design. I think the most practical use is to restrict boats too early in game? Anyway I presume Pergamon is the same case.
    Intentional. Pergamon isn't the only one, there are a host of places which start the game depleted of professional units by script. These are war-ravaged regions at game start, which is what the lack of availability represents.