Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Amendment] Extend the term of consuls and magistrates

Default [Amendment] Extend the term of consuls and magistrates

I propose that we amend the Constitution to extend the term of consuls and magistrates from four months to six months. Giving these officers a longer term would increase curial/tribunal stability, reduce unnecessary electoral clutter and simplify the Constitution by standardizing the terms of office (the Primus Praefectus notwithstanding).

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Amendment] Extend the term of consuls and magistrates

Support, so long as it's not intended to be retroactive.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

It is not intended to be retroactive.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Four months is already a very long timespan on the internet. I don't think locking someone in office for half a year is helpful - neither is the prospect to bind yourself for such a long time going to motivate more people to run for the offices, nor is reduced fluctuation beneficial per se, especially to the Tribunal.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

^^ Fully agree
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I can't tell if you're supporting the proposal or the mighty Isk, Lifth.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Support, so long as it's not intended to be retroactive.
    Seconded.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be better to try and do some research on the matter first. Maybe an open discussion in the Curia (or here, I guess) about whether or not a change in term lengths would not discourage our very limited number of potential applicants.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Four months is already a very long timespan on the internet. I don't think locking someone in office for half a year is helpful - neither is the prospect to bind yourself for such a long time going to motivate more people to run for the offices, nor is reduced fluctuation beneficial per se, especially to the Tribunal.
    I agree regarding the Tribunal, but I disagree about extending the term period for Magistrates from 4 to 6 months.

However, I do think the term period of the Consul could be extended from 4 to 6 months due for the responsibility the Consul has e.g see to it that passed decision via vote are implemented and marked as such, held elections, curial reports etc, otherwise there wouldn't be a sinlge passed decision left in the archive that's marked as pending.

Or as Iskar pointed out, 4 months is a long period of time on the internet, so why not let the Magistrate have 3 months term period and the Consul still has 4 months term period (I agree with 6 months, should the curia decide that).
    Last edited by Leonardo; May 24, 2020 at 09:56 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Support, 6 months in office would give the Consul more time to keep up-to-date on reports, elections, and the other misc of the office.

Along those lines I would also support changing the Primus Praefect term to 6 months as well.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

A 6 month period would allow the Consul to carry out his programm and it would decrease the necessary elections.

Seems a fair point.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I can't tell if you're supporting the proposal or the mighty Isk, Lifth.
    None of them actually. I just agree with what Iskar wrote.
    The tribunal is already something stable by the mix of Tribunes and Magistrates. Tribunes assure the continuity while Magistrates assure a kind of renewal.
    Regarding the Consul, 4 months is good enough. Actually, I think that it should be the Praefects and Primus Praefect terms that should be reduced (respectively 4 and 8 months) but that's just my opinion.

Increasing these terms won't add anything except less work for the Consul, something that can be achieved by other ways, and possibly even less applicants for these positions, due to the long period of involvement they will requier.

So all in all, opposed.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    A 6 month period would allow the Consul to carry out his programm and it would decrease the necessary elections.

Seems a fair point.
    That's my point too as I've seen little to many passed decisions in the archives marked as pending and that's not good, not for the consul or for the curator in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Regarding the Consul, 4 months is good enough. Actually, I think that it should be the Praefects and Primus Praefect terms that should be reduced (respectively 4 and 8 months) but that's just my opinion.
    I have to agree with VZ here as I too think both the Primus Praefectus and the Praefects should be reduced, so it matches with the other curial offices e.g Consul+Primus Prafectus has 6 months, Magistrate+Praefects has 4 months.
    Last edited by Frunk; May 24, 2020 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Opposed, standardize them all to three months if standardization is what we're after.

Increasing these terms won't add anything except less work for the Consul, something that can be achieved by other ways, and possibly even less applicants for these positions, due to the long period of involvement they will requier.
    It would actually add something interesting to the Curia (if the term period was 6 months) and that's politics, I mean what politic agenda a House has e.g House of Hader wants order from chaos no matter what, House of Siblesz has a liberal democratic agenda.

Note, my examples may be accurate or not accurate.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    ^^ Fully agree
    Agreed. Six months would be way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Support, 6 months in office would give the Consul more time to keep up-to-date on reports, elections, and the other misc of the office.

Along those lines I would also support changing the Primus Praefect term to 6 months as well.
    This is ridiculous. Reports are easy. As soon as something passed you ammend the needed threads, then you merge everything that hasa taken place in a single month and paste it in a curial report. The Curial reports need to be done monthly but haven't been done monthly since I departed office, given I was late on them also. This is not going to be fixed by extending a term..
    Elections are timed and are hardly any work tbf. So your reasoning of argument is entirely mute.

Same as a PP for six months. You get much less chance to oust someone for not being up to the task, but average enough to survive a vonc.

I'm requesting that this amendment be shelved until after the magistrate elections.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Archived at OP request.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Patrician Citizen