Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Dagor Silmarillion - Third Age] Warden of the West - FFA-Potatoto Wins!!

Chieftain Khuzaymah's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [Dagor Silmarillion - Third Age] Warden of the West - FFA

The best of luck and fun for everyone!

Rohan up!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15rd...ew?usp=sharing

Question:
    As I already explained to Jadli, this mod works for me but it is quite buggy. Sometimes it freezes or it just automatically closes. I can play, but it's not very nice to of course if you have to be on your guard where to click in case the game crashes. For instance: If you open a settlement tab (on the right), then click on a building or unit, which shows a tab on the left, if then, I want to close my tab on the right, the game gets buggy and crashes within a few clicks. So I have to first close the left tab, and then the right tab.
    Even then there are some freezes and bugs left. I think it could be my installation, but I wonder if any of you had the same problem?

Also, I reinstalled my medieval and medieval kingdoms just now to start playing hotseats again. Medieval works fine, but Kingdoms doesnt even start for me... Then, the vanilla TATW works perfectly fine for me and this TATW mod is buggy.... It doesnt make any sense to me, but if it does to any of you, please help me out
    Most Promising Youngblood TATW: Chieftain Khuzaymah

General Dragon.'s Avatar Champion of Dragons
    Gaming Emeritus

This submod is pushing the game engine to the limit, so probably that is why it can crash randomly. One other thing I can advice, if its prone crashing very much is using compatibility mode, if you have windows 10. Switch it to 7 or 8 and that might help you out also applying reduced color to 8 bites can also help, if you set these on your kingdoms exe.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 07, 2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.

"The Dragon is wise, a sage among the ignorant. He knows not all that glitters is gold."

I'm having technical issues with the save (It's likely my fault as Im still trying to figure out what to do).
    I got the save into my Saves folder for the game but when I start the game and try to load the save file it crashes every time.

EDIT1: I will need a brief extension while I try to figure this out. Sorry guys.

EDIT2: I'm a moron. I didn't change the launcher option. It works, playing now.

High Elves up!

WoTW_High Elves_1.sav
    Last edited by General Dragon.; June 07, 2020 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Merged posts

themzr's Avatar Primicerius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok. One important thing to talk about is the concern over the HE's ability to build ships. Since no other factions have that ability I believe it could make them very overpowered in the later stages of the game. However, I believe for elves expansion is quite hard early on. So my solution I propose is this: HE can use the ship it is initially given, but cannot build any more. Additionally after turn 10, that ship must be disbanded.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

----- Alexander The Great

Wait, but there are coastal cities/villages right? So once you capture those, isn't there an option to build a shipyard or a dock?

My concern is, that if ships are completely disbanded, that the only "entrance" to get to Isengard/Rohan is through Tharbad basically. Once the fight between them is done there, one of them only has to defend 1 settlement because there are no other ways to enter the land. Well, ok, Byrig right next to it, but that's right next to it, all of their lands are guaranteed 100% safe without ships. While Rohan and Isengard are already quite strong factions compared to some, including HE and my own. Hence the ability of using ships to enter via other ways are quite important in my opinion.

As for HE specifically: Are they that advantaged because of the ships? Perhaps the only faction they might have direct access to is Dwarves, but if they get into a fight, HE has just 1 settlement vs the 2 settlements of the Dwarves. That won't be an easy fight.

I say nay to the proposal
    Last edited by Chieftain Khuzaymah; June 02, 2020 at 06:39 PM.

Extension pls, gotta figure out how to install the mod

I just PM'ed you a link and instructions on how to install it. Let me know if you have any questions

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

On second thought Jadli's worry does seem a bit unfounded. Upon further testing it seems that other factions (at least Men of the West can build ports and thus ships in coastal settlements). I'll wait for some of the other players to discuss their thoughts on this
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

I think ships should be banned. Problem with that is it makes Elves unkillable as they can hide their army in ship and therefor easy defend coastline. Also some1 above is worry that winner of war between Isengard and Rohan may be overpowered due to having corner of the map and being strong faction itself but can't same be said about Dwarwes, OoG and OotMM? Moreover even if Elves will be unable to atack Isengard/Rohan, still it can be atacked by men of the west and OotMM.

I like how everyone seems to think a war between Isengard and Rohan is inevitable. You never know what could happen
    When it comes to the ship debate I don't have enough experience to really provide an opinion on the subject.

In case Isengard and Rohan decide to cooperate, the Men of the West would like to formally offer alliances to all other factions on the map

@Potatoto. You are missing one crucial point here. The only entrance to the lands of Rohan/Isengard from north of the river is via Tharbad. Say you occupy South Tharbad with 1 fullstack of elites I can never break through, because I am not allowed to use ships, I am not allowed to post a defeat (to weaken your stack) and I can only attack with 1 stack at a time because of the "bridge" crossing between North and South Tharbad.

This would be a seriously unfair advantage. Same could be said the other way around, if I can hold North Tharbad with 1 stack, but then I imagine Isengard's AR strength is able to overpower 1 Men of the West stack, not the other way around.

Another suggestion could be, it is not allowed to attack with armies that were hiding on a ship at the end of the last turn. In other words, ships are allowed for transportation, but you can't use them to hide and strike. Armies must have been on land at the end of the previous turn, if you want to use them in combat the next turn.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    If you open a settlement tab (on the right), then click on a building or unit, which shows a tab on the left, if then, I want to close my tab on the right, the game gets buggy and crashes within a few clicks. So I have to first close the left tab, and then the right tab.
    Even then there are some freezes and bugs left. I think it could be my installation, but I wonder if any of you had the same problem?

Also, I reinstalled my medieval and medieval kingdoms just now to start playing hotseats again. Medieval works fine, but Kingdoms doesnt even start for me... Then, the vanilla TATW works perfectly fine for me and this TATW mod is buggy.... It doesnt make any sense to me, but if it does to any of you, please help me out

Freezing - see here.

Buggy when switching UI elements - as General Dragon says.

Crashing in building browser - someone run a check with the EDB validator if building tree names are missing, example:
    Code:
    {art_name}Art
    {artist_gallery}artist_gallery
    {artist_gallery_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {artist_gallery_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    Kingdoms not working: campaigns themselves, see here. Mods (Steam), see here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Additionally I don't see how having a ship to hide troops on makes the HE impregnable. It should be relatively simple to take their most western settlement with a unit of siege equipment

If I apply these changes, run as admin, or run as windows 7, or run with 8 bites I get a gamecrash while starting, unspecified error kind of crash.

How is your installation coming along Tulkas?

EDIT: Actually, after a 5 min testrun on the mod, I didn't encounter any more bugs. That is, playing the mod without any other programs opened. I am used to having like 20 chrome tabs open anyways xd Lets hope it stays like that. Probably it was too heavy for my PC this mod in combination with my other stuff. TATW vanilla is easier for my machine ^^
    Last edited by Chieftain Khuzaymah; June 04, 2020 at 09:02 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by themzr View Post
    Additionally I don't see how having a ship to hide troops on makes the HE impregnable. It should be relatively simple to take their most western settlement with a unit of siege equipment
    What if they have a ballista on the ship? Then you can take the settlements, but they will kill your army. Pretty much it would create dead zone around coast that other players wouldnt be able to enter, otherwise their army would die and there would be nothing to prevent it.

Anyways, I checked the files, and it seems all factions should be able to build a port actually

But the capbility should be still somewhat adressed, because I think a large majority of coastal settlements are very low levels, and since this is TATW where it can take a very long to upgrade everything, other factions might have to wait a long time before being able to build a port in them. You need a large town for that, so 3rd level (and HE could ensure it never happens anyway, as they would have an upper hand in naval powers since the beginning)

One allowed ship per faction would be fine perhaps?. Or there would have to be some additional rule, like that they can use their ships, but can never directly attack from the ships, and for example spend one turn by "dismebaking" or something...

Anyways, Im neither player or admin here, so up to you guys

I'll post within the next half hour

Misty Mountains 1, sorry for the delay https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QZb...ew?usp=sharing

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain Khuzaymah View Post
    If I apply these changes, run as admin, or run as windows 7, or run with 8 bites I get a gamecrash while starting, unspecified error kind of crash.

How is your installation coming along Tulkas?

EDIT: Actually, after a 5 min testrun on the mod, I didn't encounter any more bugs. That is, playing the mod without any other programs opened. I am used to having like 20 chrome tabs open anyways xd Lets hope it stays like that. Probably it was too heavy for my PC this mod in combination with my other stuff. TATW vanilla is easier for my machine ^^
    Keep in mind that the game is only using one core, which means if you have tons of programs running then chances are high that some will pre-occupy the first core and reduce the availability. The game also needs at least 2.2 Ghz to run smooth on average settings - and some of the newer gazillion core chips barely have that speed.

You can help that along by adding the affinity entry to the BAT file's command line, example :

start /affinity 1 /high kingdoms.exe ......
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 04, 2020 at 01:22 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sorry for the delay. Xiatma is having some trouble with his installation

Problem with instalating leasting over a week? Also what about rules regarding using ships by Elves in the end?