Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard questions for magistrate candidates

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Standard questions for magistrate candidates

Here's some possible standard questions one could ask of Magistrate candidates. Feel free to add your suggestions as well:

1) The Tribunal's purpose is described as ensuring that the ToS are applied "justly and fairly". What does that mean to you?

2) What is the difference between justice and fairness, if any?

3) Pick any case from the Tribunal archives with a split decision and say with which side of the verdict you agree and why.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Standard questions for magistrate candidates

IMO, that would be already a lot to know from a candidate

good job
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

We shouldn't have too many questions, or demand that all questions are answered I think. Also, as previously stated somewhere IIRC, people that already have answered 'the questions' can copy paste, or link them, unless something changes. The latter either in the questions themselves, or obviously if the candidate wants to change something.

A question that could be added IMO:

What motivated you to apply for Magistrate?

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

The first question and the third question that Iskar posted are good questions, especially the third question.

Which could be slightly altered e.g the result could be temporary removed and the applicant for a Magistrate need to come up the answer of the outcome. That way makes it difficult, if not impossible to know by forehand what archived case a Tribune would pick.

Veteraan's suggestion for a question is also valid and asking these questions is what Tango asked the new moderators (Graham, z3n, and me) before being accepted as moderators in March/April 2019 I think it was.
    Last edited by Leonardo; May 21, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Those are good questions Iskar, this thread is a good idea.

I've had a similar idea recently, where we should start posting the const. requirements for the position in the application threads alongside the current blurb on their duties. Hopefully that would avoid any unfortunate repeats of recent events.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    A question that could be added IMO:

What motivated you to apply for Magistrate?
    As long as "I'm bored and I think this would be an interesting experience." is an acceptable answer. It's part of why I held however many terms I held back in the day.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It's why I do what I do

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I've had a similar idea recently, where we should start posting the const. requirements for the position in the application threads alongside the current blurb on their duties. Hopefully that would avoid any unfortunate repeats of recent events.
    That's a good idea.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The first question and the third question that Iskar posted are good questions, especially the third question.
    Is the second one too abstract? I have a soft spot for abstract questions, so I'm not the best judge of that.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I quite liked the second one. I think it's the perfect question to ask someone who will have to decide that very thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Is the second one too abstract? I have a soft spot for abstract questions, so I'm not the best judge of that.
    Yes, I think so. Besides the second question is needless due for being included in the first question in the "What does that mean to you?" phrase. Answering that kind of a question will often be based on what personal opinion one has.

The Tribunal's purpose is described as ensuring that the ToS are applied "justly and fairly". What does that mean to you?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

To be quite contrarian, question 1 and 2 address different things with fundamentally different answers. Q2 simply makes you think more and unless you broaden your answer to Q1, it in no way includes the answer to q2. "What does that (applying the ToS properly) mean to you" =/= "What's the difference between two concepts, if there is any". If anything, I'd say people who can distinguish the difference in question at least are showing a level of nuance. Because rest assured. It's there.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Personally, I think the second question is even more important than the first, especially as a follow up. I don't think it's unfair of us to ask our candidates to answer that.

Answering that kind of a question will often be based on what personal opinion one has.
    Is that not like the entire point? To find out the candidates personal opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Is that not like the entire point? To find out the candidates personal opinions?
    Yes and no, but the bottom line is that a question should ask what knowledge a candicate has about the ToS and Iskar's third question does that asking for what decision a candicate would have in a case with a split decision.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, I would also like to know what candidates think about the underlying concepts of the job as well. As the Emperor nicely put it, it shows how a candidate thinks and approaches these issues.

The more pressing issue seems to be a lack of candidates. We're going to get what we're given at the moment, questions or no questions (no disrespect to Legio or Pike).
    Last edited by Cope; May 22, 2020 at 05:14 AM.

Hmm, I would also like to know what candidates think about the underlying concepts of the job as well. As the Emperor nicely put it, it shows how a candidate thinks and approaches these issues.
    I can only express my thoughts about this, but, FWIW I think that comes down to what opinion one has about moderation. Especially, from a former staffer (resigned as a moderator earlier this year) like me.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Yes and no, but the bottom line is that a question should ask what knowledge a candicate has about the ToS and Iskar's third question does that asking for what decision a candicate would have in a case with a split decision.
    It's easy to remember 'the gist' of the constitution, then review it when relevant portions apply to your case whatever you think your memory is of it, and if you miss something, be corrected by the other two people in place almost for precisely this kind of slipup if present. Useful questions ask things that make the responder think, and while writing walls of text doesn't make someone smarter (to my clear dismay), in a role like Magistrate it would certainly help. Good questions ask things that make the reader generate content and make it easy to tell if they're just yanking off a previous explanation. In this case they can even be opted out entirely, so there is certainly no harm. A poor question is one that would ask things like 'what is x from the ToS', the sort of question that would hit your 'what knowledge a candidate has about the ToS' bit. Frankly, one's knowledge is secondary to one's judgement. Nobody remembers it word for word, I applaud the exception I'm missing that does. As long as you can find what you need and connect it to the rest and are able to troubleshoot every logical deviation of the case, you're probably well suited. You're not gonna get that with simplistic forays into one's 'knowledge about the ToS' because such a question is far too easy to fake with no way of telling otherwise until a case goes belly-up. And people who wouldn't make it that far, well, I expect that would become obvious either way.

Along these lines I did think of an inquiry. Not the wording, I'm totally spent on that today, but I would ask about a candidate's ability to differentiate between personal opinions and objective statements in the tribunal. It's not the hardest to bogus, but I would consider it important to think about, and more than fair to ask me if I was to ever run considering my personal opinions can definitely run in contrast with what should be enforced purely by the ToS.

Per the above, of course we're gonna have to make do either way since things in general are steadily turning into a matter of accepting who's willing to do something just to keep them running.

Why is this posted here rather than in the assigned thread?

Here's some possible standard questions one could ask of Magistrate candidates. Feel free to add your suggestions as well:

1) The Tribunal's purpose is described as ensuring that the ToS are applied "justly and fairly". What does that mean to you?

2) What is the difference between justice and fairness, if any?

3) Pick any case from the Tribunal archives with a split decision and say with which side of the verdict you agree and why.
    I've posted it here as this thread as turned into something else anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

What assigned thread? We were discussing possible standard questions to be posed to Magistrate candidates in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast