Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Standard questions for magistrate candidates

Default Re: Standard questions for magistrate candidates

My bad, I thought it was posed questions.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    My bad, I thought it was posed questions.
    They're suggestions for questions to pose regularly, the same sort that would be put in the debate thread that you can acknowledge or not (at your own risk). My impression is iskar meant this as being informal, regular questions to dish up than anything truly binding to the tribunal, since he makes the chivalrous stance of not wanting to meddle much.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Less chivalrous than institutionally necessary, but yeah.

So we have the following:

1) What motivated you to apply for Magistrate?

2) The Tribunal's purpose is described as ensuring that the ToS are applied "justly and fairly". What does that mean to you?

3) What is the difference between justice and fairness, if any?

4) Pick any case from the Tribunal archives with a split decision and say with which side of the verdict you agree and why.

The Consul may include these into future Debate threads for Magistrate elections at leisure.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post

2) The Tribunal's purpose is described as ensuring that the ToS are applied "justly and fairly". What does that mean to you?

4) Pick any case from the Tribunal archives with a split decision and say with which side of the verdict you agree and why.

The Consul may include these into future Debate threads for Magistrate elections at leisure.
    they looks great IMO

I think however one thing needs to be defined in advance.. is that a must for a candidate to answer them? afaik, it isn't a must to answer questions in the debate thread, sure one is likely going to lose an election if they ignore the questions, but doing so won't automatically disqualify them.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Of course the questions must be purely optional. They're not meant as a kind of entrance examination for the office.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

We should have all elected officials take an old timey citizenship test to check their mettle.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

Of course the questions must be purely optional. They're not meant as a kind of entrance examination for the office.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

They are good questions, though I don't know what long term value they would have - especially for repeat applicants. The best way would just be to ask the candidates whatever questions you want in the debate thread at each election.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    They are good questions, though I don't know what long term value they would have - especially for repeat applicants. The best way would just be to ask the candidates whatever questions you want in the debate thread at each election.
    you can do both; and repeated applicants do not need to answer the same questions again, as already mentioned.. they can simply quote their old answers if they don't want to change them

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Standard questions whereby the answers are public have a limited shelf live anyway. The questions can be useful for a decent time though, as there are of course not that much elections,,,,,,usually.

Interested Citizens adding questions would add some extra value, although history proves that that not many questions have been posed lately. I didn't ask much questions myself. When I (think to) know if a candidate would do an adequate job, I usually just vote yes, or no if the opposite is the case.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The questions posed so far have quite a few solid answers. Definitely not expired for material yet.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Majora View Post
    Definitely not expired for material yet.
    Which I certainly didn't claim it was.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Which I certainly didn't claim it was.
    Likewise didn't say you did. I simply encourage the questions to be considered over a longer period. I'd even say their shelf life isn't really limited given the range of answers and the lack of an objective answer, but it can be approached as needed over time.

I think this list of questions is really good! And in an attempt to be a good applicant, I have just answered these in the latest magistrate election. However, it is somewhat difficult to answer question 4, as it is just plain hard to locate the split decisions. Would anyone happen to know of a few, and be willing to drop links here for future reference?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12