Thread: [Pergamon] Pergamon Hegemony not triggering?

Default [Pergamon] Pergamon Hegemony not triggering?

By Turn 88 (Year -251) of my Pergamon playthrough I've seized the Ionian coast, the Hellespont, Phrygia, and Galatia but the reform is still not triggering. Is it because I've refused Galatian tribute and defeated some of their armies? I didn't seize Ankyra from the Eleutheroi, but from the Seleukides. I also haven't conquered Side and Tarsos.

Default Re: [Pergamon] Pergamon Hegemony not triggering?

You need to fight the Galatians within the province of Galatia. The script gives you points for each victory, 2 for a large victory (15+? units in a stack), 1 for a smaller stack (don't know what the minimal size is). You get historical events directly after each victory, two if you get two points. You need to fight the battles on the battle map and have a general lead your army. For this you can use the rebel stacks spawning randomly in winter in Galatia until the Thorakitai reform.

Directly after gaining 6 points, an invasion is spawned in Mysia. After defeating it and holding Sardis, Ipsos and one other city (Nikasia?) the reform triggers.

The other way to trigger the reform (according to the script) would be to push the Seleucids out Asia Minor. I think it is intended as a fallback, but in your case that is probably the easier way. For that, you would need to take Side and Tarsos from them.

I find that the fallback is much easier economically than defeating the Galatians because it allows me to use my armies to take over more valuable provinces. Also the Galatians tend to just go to Kapadocia and form multiple doomstacks there that will go out wrecking havoc in Asia if you as much as show up around there. Remember that you gotta get the Seleucids entirely out of Anatolia, so buying them off or conquering EVERY settlement in the region (including Tarsus) is necessary.

Triggered the fallback, funnily enough not by myself. The Ptolemaioi seized Tarsos, which seems to have ended Seleukid presence in Anatolia.

Every playthrough with Pergamon I go for Hegemony rather than defeating the Galatians route. Conquering the rest of Anatolia just brings in too much wealth.

Meanwhile fighting the Galatians just ruins your starting army for little to no gain whatsoever. What's the point of getting new governments if you don't have the provinces to build them in?

Galatians are similar to insisting on holding Tarent early in the Epeirote campaign. It's for the best to evacuate from there to come back later.

TBH, one look at Galatia reminded me why it's great to not have any factional interests in the Asia Minor. AI Pontos almost always gets ruined by this region.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Player Pontos definitely always get ruined by this region as well.

In my Bosphorus campaign by the time I've conquered counterclockwise into Anatolia from Crimea, there were 7 (yes, SEVEN) full stacks of Galatians vibing in Ankrya. It was no longer even feasible to take that region

Pretend Galatia and Capadocia doesn't exist. Fantastic advice for anyone playing the current iteration of the mod.

100 more turns into my playthrough, and the Galatians have gathered 3.5 stacks in the province, cutting it's income in half. The spectre of Koinon Hellenon continues to haunt me, having amassed a gigantic army and navy, and decided that my investments in Pella was too much of a threat to Greek freedom. I figure it'll be at least another 50 turns before I can clear Galatia of rebels. Even if they took Galatia back out of my hands, I doubt I'd go out of my way to reclaim it. Besides, I've expanded into Thraike, and with the new governments I can develop Local Garrisons there and Byzantion to get my cheap barbarian soldier fix.

That having been said I'd at least recommend you try conquering the Ionian coast. The cluster of settlements with coastal trade provide a wealthy and easily defensible bastion. The regionals are also a nice cherry on top.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Pretend Galatia and Capadocia doesn't exist. Fantastic advice for anyone playing the current iteration of the mod.
    I seem to remember the Galatian Independence script was a bit broken in 2.35?

Them Galatians are very handy for disposing unwanted client rulers and family members, though!
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.