Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Historical Who Am I Riddles

The ANCIENT CITY was one of the most important cities of the Roman Empire. Possibly the most important.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The ANCIENT CITY was one of the most important cities of the Roman Empire. Possibly the most important.
    Cheeky. I'm guessing then that it was Ravenna, and the person was Gaston de Foix, duc de Nemours.

The most important city in the Roman Empire was Rome. Nothing else comes close. Just sayin'.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Cheeky. I'm guessing then that it was Ravenna, and the person was Gaston de Foix, duc de Nemours.
    Gaston wasn't shattered though, but shot. And saying that he died like Alexander is quite a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Patrician

Yes it was Gaston de Foix.

-he "comes from" the throne of Navarra"
    -he died next to the ancient city of Ravenna
    -his death ended Louis XII's hopes of claiming Italy
    -he died in battle
    -he was victorious in battle
    -he died young like an Alexander

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    The most important city in the Roman Empire was Rome. Nothing else comes close. Just sayin'.
    More than one political entity called itself Roman Empire throughout the ages. The "possibly" part made me discard Rome as possibility instantly, that left the vestigial Roman Empire, HRE, Byzantine Empire and the rump states that appeared after fourth Crusade. So Ravenna was the first thing that came to mind, and that's how I found Gaston.

Hopefully this one will be less ambiguous:

Titles of old on a new battlefield,
    a steed of Mars my foes dread to meet.
    Fourscore felled, till my caution faltered,
    in death, my honours no longer mattered.

Who am I?

The hint will be a few more verses:

As fitting my name, I took the saddle
    but the world changed and kept me from battle
    "Death or Glory! I'm not here for cheese and eggs!"
    My wish was soon granted, to excess.

Come on...still nobody? Try to figure out when, and it should click. The first line of original riddle and first two of the hint should be most helpful there. It was a time of great changes in warfare, and this person is connected with them.

...has anyone been trying to figure this out, or should I give up? The whole forum has been quite dead recently...

I cannot crack this nut, but in general the forum is facing most likely just a temporary lull. Really nice weather in Europe and elsewhere, vacations starting, and, perhaps most importantly, many societies laxing Covid restrictions.

I am on vacation and visiting family abroad for the the first time in a long while, to give just one example. It should pick up after the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I cannot crack this nut, but in general the forum is facing most likely just a temporary lull. Really nice weather in Europe and elsewhere, vacations starting, and, perhaps most importantly, many societies laxing Covid restrictions.

I am on vacation and visiting family abroad for the the first time in a long while, to give just one example. It should pick up after the summer.
    Okay then...I'm going to drop a heavy hint. This person of noble birth originally enrolled into cavalry, but the advancements in military technology made cavalry pretty much obsolete by the time...which means what? It was First World War, of course.

Enough. I'm calling this off, because nobody is participating.

The answer was Manfred von Richthofen, aka The Red Baron.

Born into Prussian nobility, he enlisted into cavalry in 1911, but as cavalry quickly became obsolete in war, he was reassigned to supply. He transferred to Air Force, reportedly writing on the request "I have not gone to war in order to collect cheese and eggs, but for another purpose." He quickly become one of top aces and started painting his plane red, leading to his nickname. He scored eighty confirmed aerial victories, becoming top scoring ace of WWI, before, perhaps due to head injury sustained earlier, he made a rookie mistake of pursuing his target low over enemy trenches, where he was shot down by Australian AA gunners.

Anyone can take the turn now....

That's an interesting answer, Sar1n. Honestly, I hadn't thought of air combat at all, and so was totally stumped. I was thinking of tanks, or maybe even machine gunner crews (that is what, to my mind, really made cav obsolete). An interesting riddle though anyway.

Since Sar1n has given the answer, the next riddle is open to whomever wishes to put something together. I myself don't have something just right now, but if no one else has posted within the next couple days, I'll come up with something.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

They call me commander, founder, liberator
    But for all my efforts my creation collapsed
    My wars against the great empire were won
    Yet my service to my new nation was not done

My freed land was a mix of many peoples,
    Spread across a continent's vast land
    But for all its many claims of glory,
    my new republic was not quite so grand

Weary of all the years of struggle,
    I was quite young when I passed
    Yet despite my shattered nation,
    In some ways, to this day, my revolution still lasts
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

I haven't checked anything with regards to exact details, but this makes me think Símon Bolivar. Something about the broad strokes and the general feels just has me thinking Gran Colombia and Símon Bolivar.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Patrician

I was thinking of Simon Bolivar. Maybe the only other one that makes sense is Agustin de Iturbide.

Bolivar was correct for Kilo. Yesterday was his birthday which was why I picked him.

He was the figurehead of LA independence and served as First President of GRAN Colombia. The republic was pretty massive and took up a huge chunk of northern South America with many different ethnic groups coming under its umbrella. Despite the "Grand" name, the country basically fell apart underneath him in just a few years and he resigned in disgrace with plans to undergo a personal exile. He died before he could do so at just 47 years old, and while Gran Colombia lasted just a decade, its successor states continue to this day with one even bearing his name. Guy is seen as basically their George Washington even if his dream of a United States of South America failed

Patrician

It was a complete failure though. This guy was way in over his head.

I was one of the greatest Fathers, yet father to none.
    From grace to war, every argument I have won.
    And when the unwashed destroyed my people's home,
    I created a new one, captured in a tome.

I will leave the riddle at that first stanza for now, as I think there is enough there for the clever man (i.e. not Akar ). If there are no guesses in a day or two, or if it seems too difficult, I will add more to the riddle later.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

So if my analysis of these lines is correct:

This person was a founder of some sort of nation but did not leave any direct heirs,
    They were both a great military leader as well as orator/political leader
    Barbarians or some sort of nomads came and destroyed their original homeland
    They created a new state, a tale perhaps captured in some form of legendary/semi-mythological writing

Aeneas?

Edit:nvm Aeneas had kids