Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Default Re: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Well then, in an effort to get this rolling again (because I quite enjoy this game), anyone who wants can take Oda's turn away from him.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

TWC has been glitching out for me really badly, so I was not able to respond.

I pretty much outlined everything that happened.
    -father was thrice crowned
    -had no stable inheritance
    -took his crown by the sword
    -got his brother's crown
    -had three crowns but it was short lived

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Someone might as well just guess. Any attempts? I would say it is kind of easy now.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Is it King Canute the Great? He did take England by sword, recovered Denmark after his brother Harald died, conquered Norway as the third crown, and his "Northsea Empire" only lasted seven years at its full extent before he died. I don't know whether his father Sweyn was crowned three times, though.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Patrician

Yeah it was Canute the Great. I thought it would be obvious. His father Sweyn Forkbeard ruled over three kingdoms: ruling Denmark, claiming Norway, and conquering England. When he died he gave Denmark to his oldest son, Norway and England rebelled. Canute sailed across the sea to claim England for himself. He did indeed do battle against "the Iron Flank", which is meant to be Edmund Iron Side. When he came back his brother died so he took the throne of Denmark, then used his massive resources to bring Norway under his control. His empire of the North Sea only lasted a few years because when he died all the kingdoms separated again.

I first thought of one of the Spanish Sanchos or Alfonsos, due to the brother thing, but "across the sea" did not apply there. Then I thought Canute was the thrice crowned father, and tried Harthacanute, but that didn't work either, so I just worked my way up the dynasty. Good riddle, Nobunaga.

Here's the next one:

Child of a city proud and free,
    our freedom safe and sound.
    I first served it with my voice,
    then led it by compatriots' choice
    When those did flee,
    that would be crowned.

Then crowned head came with lowered lance,
    at our riches took a glance,
    demand to kingly yoke we bow.
    That was finally then the hour
    for freedom's rage to grow
    and kingly courage did turn sour,
    when bondage words I tore with spite,
    and with bells the trumpets put to flight.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Iskar; May 02, 2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: forgot the Who am I
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

A wild guess to get this going: Agnello Participazio, eighth historically attested Doge of Venice.

Nope. Is it customary to reciprocate every wrong guess with another hint?

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Not really. I personally prefer to give hints only after there are too many wrong guesses or the game is inactive for some time.

Nah. The custom is to wait until at least a couple people have guessed, or a day or two has passed. The pace of this game is a bit slower usually though (because people do a little research and ponder longer), so it is also fine to wait like three or four days without dropping a hint. Ultimately, the choice is yours though.

As for myself, there are a few things in your riddle that intrigue me, and I will be doing some digging tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some kind of guess then...
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

This might require a hint before it goes to eternal sleep entirely.

The king and the city mentioned have different colours, but very similar devices on their coats of arms.

This seems to be harder than I thought.

Another hint:
    One line refers specifically to a quote attributed to the person in question.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Such a poem could easily fit to the last Emir of Granada...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

The person in question was the elected head of a free city, so no emir.

Right, last hint: The city referred to was and is quite literally flourishing.

If no one solves it within the next few days, I'll spill the beans and someone else can carry on.

Alessandro de Medici, a ruler of the Florentine Republic?

I will think about this more. But if there are no more guesses, would you mind giving us a timeframe hint before you spill the beans? For me, one of the hardest things is that these people can come from anywhere and anywhen. But just having a century (or even an era) can provide far more guidance than a host of hints about the things the guy did.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Il Rinascimento

Sept is close but not correct.

Il Rinascimento
    Huh? Is this the answer? Is this a hint? Iskar, you know I don't speak Italian!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

It must be Florence and France, everything matches, from the city's name to the similarities of their heraldry. I'm going to guess Savonarola, notorious for his oratory skills and seditious tendencies.