Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Historical Who Am I Riddles

I am really confused... but is it Wallenstein?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I am not certain about all of the details, as for some things I can't find reliable info, but I have another guess. Is it Helmuth von Moltke (the younger)? Also know as Helmuth Johannes Ludwig Graf von Moltke.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Nobody guessed it correctly yet, but we are coming very close, especially with Moltke Jr. If you take all the hints together, I think there's only possible candidate remaining. A man so controversial that he has roads (more like obscure impasses, don't imagine any prestigious avenue) named after him, but also denounced by historians as largely responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands, either directly, through military operations orchestrated by him or indirectly, by insisting on the declaration of a tiny, little war...

I don't know about there only being one possible candidate left. I have been hunting through people related to the right region and timeframe, and though some have some similarities, I've yet to find an obvious match. Two figures that seem like possibles though are: Albrecht von Teschen and Ludwig von Benedek. Would it happen to be either of those blokes?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Hindenburg

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Erich von Falkenheyn.

He has at least prevented the deportation of the jewish population from Palestine in 1917/1918.

The butcher of Verdun is grey not black or white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_...%E2%80%931918)
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Citizen

I now only saw the hints. And I'd now say Franz Conrad von Hötzendorf

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Uncle Conrad is the correct answer! He just loved preemptively attacking Romania, Italy and of course Serbia. He's nowadays notorious for the disappointing performance of the Austrian-Hungarian Army, but back in the good old times, he was internationally praised as a visionary strategist. His funeral was attended by a massive number of Austrian citizens, but his reputation has grown even bigger since the Great War series in the YOUTUBE. Socks like these are a must for every history groupie:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

He was so visionary, that the austro-hungarian armies were nearly annihilated in Galicia in the battle of Lemberg in 1914.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Citizen

I did what I could with what little I had.
    I did not want war, but I didn't run from it when given a chance.
    I lost everything but my very nice socks during my demise.

Quite a few fit that.

Let's start with Constantine XI, last Byzantine emperor.

Citizen

Very well done. He, too, saw the end of an empire. His body is said to have been identified by his socks as everyone who knew him apparently had died with him and he'd cast off all other royal insignia to die a soldier.

Damn, rhyming is tough...sorry, this one turned out kinda weird.

When my eyes closed for the eternal slumber
    gods took me as one of their number.
    For I built them place unlike anything before,
    and my name grew, they made me healer, sage and more.
    But new gods came, and people forgot what it all meant,
    Now in cruel twist they know my name from entertainment.

Who am I?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Hmmm I feel the entertainment part is the key here. This is clearly a ruler in a pre-medieval kingdom who was especially pious and/or attempted to claim divinity and built some sort of ancient wonder. They now due to other religions have lost their perceived divinity and their name is more known for something related to pop culture. Hmmmm I’m gonna have to guess Tiber Septim :p

But nah seriously there are a few candidates in my head that fit a lot of this but I can’t get over the entertainment lije. It’s just not clicking for me: I want to say Caesar for Caesar’s Palace but I’m not sure he fits anything else here. Qin Shihuangdi popped into my head just for attempting to IIRC proclaim divinity and the Great Wall but I wouldn’t exactly call that a place for the Gods. Maybe an Egyptian Pharaoh would make sense too. I can’t think of any polytheistic pantheon tjat litetally elevated a historical figure into their ranks so I’m just gonna have to say Imhotep because of the Mummy movies

edit: and yes I wrote that entire post but the last sentence hours ago and left it until I had the mummy epiphany
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; May 27, 2020 at 09:11 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Hmmm I feel the entertainment part is the key here. This is clearly a ruler in a pre-medieval kingdom who was especially pious and/or attempted to claim divinity and built some sort of ancient wonder. They now due to other religions have lost their perceived divinity and their name is more known for something related to pop culture. Hmmmm I’m gonna have to guess Tiber Septim :p

But nah seriously there are a few candidates in my head that fit a lot of this but I can’t get over the entertainment lije. It’s just not clicking for me: I want to say Caesar for Caesar’s Palace but I’m not sure he fits anything else here. Qin Shihuangdi popped into my head just for attempting to IIRC proclaim divinity and the Great Wall but I wouldn’t exactly call that a place for the Gods. Maybe an Egyptian Pharaoh would make sense too. I can’t think of any polytheistic pantheon tjat litetally elevated a historical figure into their ranks so I’m just gonna have to say Imhotep because of the Mummy movies

edit: and yes I wrote that entire post but the last sentence hours ago and left it until I had the mummy epiphany
    Well, seems like this one was too easy. Imhotep, the architect of first pyramid. Deified after his death, he eventually became patron of healing, among other things.

I thought it was a good one. I have no objections
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I honestly had no idea for hours and left my post unfinished til I remembered the Mummy movies. This one should be very easy for this forum I would think

Just a boy soldier I warred on behalf of my brother,
    He the Saint whose rule was holier than any other
    Our Kingdom was stolen by the raider king so great
    Forced into exile I found my heart filled with hate
    I traveled the continent in search of gold and a new purpose,
    which I found in a Prince and an Emperor‘s service
    I prepared an invasion of my brother’s kingdom, my home
    Only to find my nephew had already taken the throne
    I used my new wealth to force him to share his land
    as against his uncle he refused to take a stand
    With his early death I was given the kingdom to reign,
    and on our former conquerors I sought to inflict pain
    But it was my other imperial ambitions that brought about my death,
    and in a foreign kingdom once controlled by enemies I took my last breath

Who am I?

I am really unsure about this, as some of the details don't line up (I think), but is this perhaps Edward the Confessor?

EDIT: No. I got this. It's Harald Hardrada!

The detail about raider kings had me focusing intensely on British kings, until I realized that vikings ousted each other all the time. From there, Harald was a clear leap to make, and looking at his bio, he is a dead ringer for your man!
    Last edited by Kilo11; May 29, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Absolutely Hardrada. Wasn’t sure if I went a little too detailed but I was enjoying writing it:

In 1030 at 15 Harald fought in the Battle of Stiklestad alongside his older half-brother Saint Olaf to retake his Norwegian throne. They lost and Cnut the Great retained his North Sea Empire. Harald was forced to serve as a mercenary and later Varangian Guardsman in Russia and the Byzantine Empire, amassing great wealth and fighting in basically the entire eastern Mediterranean. He began preparing to invade Norway to retake his brother’s throne but it had already been taken by his brother’s young bastard Magnus the Good. Magnus agreed to share the kingdom (and Denmark which he had also taken from Cnut’s descendants) rather than war his uncle and died shortly after, allowing Harald to only inherit Norway. Harald constantly sought to reassert Norwegian dominance over the Danish kingdom that had once conquered his homeland but finally instead resolved to claim England, another former component of his enemy Cnut’s North Sea Empire instead following Edward the Confessor’s death in 1066. He proceeded to of course die in the 3 way war for the crown.

No, I thought it was a great riddle. And honestly, I was totally mixed up and looking for British matches for a while. That is actually part of why I was able to figure it out so quickly once I realized vikings also invaded one another, because I had just done a ton of research about Cnut and his sons (I initially though Edmund or Aethelred the Unready were the answers). Anyway, I quite liked it, and I think the riddle had a good mix of detail and things that might lead one down an incorrect path.

Anyway, since the floor is apparently now mine, here is the next riddle. I hope it is neither too easy, nor difficult.

I fought in defense of the rising sun
    In the hopes of staving off tomorrow.
    Yet though my soldiers toiled and then won
    Our efforts brought us only sorrow.

We broke the old order, heralding a new,
    And by our arms we recaptured lost peace,
    Yet at day's end we were betrayed too,
    Victims of our boy leader's caprice.

But for all that, I stayed true to my liege,
    Though my enemies will paint me a turncoat.
    In truth I was honest, and wished only to speak,
    For never in life was I a cutthroat.

Yet at the end of it all I was defeated by those
    Who before I had led and refined.
    But my name did not die. Rather it rose,
    For I alone was the last of my kind.

Who am I?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources