Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132

Thread: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Default Re: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Correct, Djemal Pasha is indeed the right answer! Dissecting the hints:

1. He was born in Lesbos (Sappho).
    2. He was a Francophile (Parnasse, a French cultural movement of the late 19th century). That's seemingly a trivial information, but it's useful to nuance the rather simplistic view that the Ottoman Empire joined the Central Powers, because of Enver Pasha's germanophilia. Personal preferences actually played a minor role and sources indicate that Djemal Pasha, who wasn't really less influential than Enver (although definitely less famous in posterity), was much more fond of France than Enver was of the German military.
    3. He traveled in Istanbul, Damascus and Baghdad (the residences of emperors, sultans and caliphs).
    4. He was minister of the Navy. Technically Ottoman ships under his command led to the entry of the Ottoman Empire into World War I, by bombarding Russian military facilities in the Crimea.
    5. He's mainly known/notorious for his administration in the Levant (Phoenicia and Syria: "purple land", the place where Europe was kidnapped and from where Cadmus began his investigations). He executed a few local notables suspected of seditious intentions (magnates hanging from cedar trees, the national symbol of Lebanon).
    6. The Ottoman Empire ended up partitioned, having lost the Aegean (Sappho), the Levant (Cadmus) and Iraq (Gilgamesh).
    7. Like his colleagues, Djemal managed to escape his pursuers, but he was eventually assassinated in Georgia (Phrixus/Golden Fleece) by Armenian nationalists during Operation Nemesis (Hubris/Tisis).

Too many classical references, which were admittedly a tad misleading, because they gave the impression that our mysterious figure lived in Antiquity.

Just a reminder that the turn is yours, Soren! If anyone else has a riddle though, feel free to post it!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

At this point, anyone may post a new riddle. If nothing is up soon, I will try to cobble together something to get the ball rolling again.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing