Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Who Am I Riddles

Default Re: Historical Who Am I Riddles

No, you are a few millennia and continents away. The animals are a key to identifying the individual in question. Most of the words and the structures from the first hint were creatively borrowed from the trailer of a faction, whose ancestors got a bloody nose from our mysterious monarch.

Antiochus IV? Zeroing in on defeating Egyptians, fighting rebels around Lebanon and of course many, many haters.

Nice guess. It's not Antiochus IV nor any other Seleucid, but there are quite a few similarities between them, especially in terms of their posthumous reputation. You correctly identified the Egyptians and the Lebanon rebels (although they were not Jews). The key to the answer is the gastronomical hint and the specific kind of meat mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Nice guess. It's not Antiochus IV nor any other Seleucid, but there are quite a few similarities between them, especially in terms of their posthumous reputation. You correctly identified the Egyptians and the Lebanon rebels (although they were not Jews). The key to the answer is the gastronomical hint and the specific kind of meat mentioned.
    As in did not have a problem with Jews, or did have but they're not those mentioned in the riddle? Yeah, fishing for a hint there, got my eye on another guess (after customary 24hr period).

No problems whatsoever. But the Classics, influenced by the Egyptians, described his death in a manner very similar to that of Antiochus IV in Maccabees.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

The original hint was based on the original RTW Carthage intro. You’re looking for a Roman leader, likely one who BTFO both Carthage and Egypt.

Edit: Also Antiochus IV was supposedly fleeing following a military defeat and was drowned by insurgents. He wasn’t a monarch but I’m gonna guess Pompey based on his similar death on a boat in Egypt while fleeing Caesar, even if I’m not sure the part about his reputation or being a monarch fit.
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; December 11, 2021 at 03:54 PM.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    The original hint was based on the original RTW Carthage intro. You’re looking for a Roman leader, likely one who BTFO both Carthage and Egypt.

Edit: Also Antiochus IV was supposedly fleeing following a military defeat and was drowned by insurgents. He wasn’t a monarch but I’m gonna guess Pompey based on his similar death on a boat in Egypt while fleeing Caesar, even if I’m not sure the part about his reputation or being a monarch fit.
    I don't think so, because:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Most of the words and the structures from the first hint were creatively borrowed from the trailer of a faction, whose ancestors got a bloody nose from our mysterious monarch.
    Ancestors of the Carthaginians. So, we're still talking about Phoenicians. We're looking most likely for Babylonian, Assyrian or Hittite ruler. My second guess was Nebuchadnezzar II, but that was shot down by his relations with Jews....

So I'm guessing his father, Nabopolassar.

Not a Roman, Macedonian, Babylonian, Assyrian or Hittite, but you're getting close. The Phoenicians took a taste of his methods, but keep in mind the Egyptians were the primary victims. Focus on the meat, beef consumption is a big part of his reputation.

Got it. I think.

24 hours rule....tick tock...

I’m thinking maybe a Persian now. Possibly Darius or his son Xerxes

edit: Darius makes sense based on conquering Egypt, this link shows bovine iconography associated with his rule, he dealt with a ton of rebellions when he took power illegitimately, but I’m not sure on the rest of the prompt.

edit 2: reading more on Xerxes and his biblical role/bad reutation really is starting to make me feel like he’s more likely than his father now thoughp
    Last edited by ggggtotalwarrior; December 11, 2021 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    I’m thinking maybe a Persian now. Possibly Darius or his son Xerxes

edit: Darius makes sense based on conquering Egypt, this link shows bovine iconography associated with his rule, he dealt with a ton of rebellions when he took power illegitimately, but I’m not sure on the rest of the prompt.
    I've got another Achaemenid in mind, and since you posted a guess, I think it's fair that I give it a shot too.

Cambyses II. He was the first one to bring Egypt into Achaemenid Empire (though it needed a reconquest or two later), notably there's an apocryphal story about achieving victory on battlefield by having his troops tie cats to their shields, making Egyptians hesitant to shoot at them, and was infamous for his reported contempt and brutality toward Egyptian religions and customs, including killing one very special bull. Not sure about his problem with Phoenicians, nor mistreatment of philosophers' friends.

I don’t even think I included a 24 hour rule in the OP to be honest, and if one was being enforced I thought it was more in terms of the riddle giver self-enforcing on hints. I usually go off the one guess post per hint rule personally

Well, it's more self-imposed rule against "shotgunning" when someone catches the giver online and posts several guesses in short order without anyone else getting a chance to participate. I hate when some people do it while I'm the giver...

Ahhhh I gotcha I guess that’s fair

Mithridates VI Eupator? Sorry don't know, just found out this forum and think its cool.

Heyyyy a new face welcome to this area of the forum Takeda

These areas of the forums can be a lot of fun so be sure to check out the rest of the Coliseum, the Writer’s Study (there is a TOTW that is about to finish taking submissions some time within the next day if you’re interested in Creative Writing), the Discussion and Debate section (which tbh can get a bit vitriolic so I mostly avoid but may interest you) and the post emporium known as the Thema Devia if you want a quick laugh

Well, you are very very close. You found the dynasty and even identified the bovine, but it's neither Cambyses nor Darius nor Xerxes. In our case, the bull wasn't simply killed (at least, according to the subsequent legends). It should be pretty easy now, as there aren't many potential candidates left.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

"Last night the cries of the children kept me awake" obviously refers to Rome Total War Carthage Intro:

We also know that Abdülmecid with his sympathies for the eastern barbarians would not rely on Herodotos, who lies in the course of his duties, at least as far as the alleged murder of the Apis bull goes (everything else on the other hand is probably 100% legit).
    So if this refers to their ancestors, whom the person in question beat up, it has to be the Phoenicians, also specified by cedar.

I'll have to go with Artaxerxes III. Artaxerxes II would also work, except he didn't reconquer Egypt.

Artaxerxes III also works with regards to the burning, as one could symbolise the burning of Sidon with its inhabitants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

We have a winner, guys! It's indeed Artaxerxes III, who, according to Greek-Roman authors probably inspired by the tradition of the hostile Egyptian clergy, accused Artaxerxes III of not only slaying, but also of devouring the sacred bull. Artaxerxes III was also responsible for crushing the rebellion of Sidon and for arresting and executing Hermias, the tyrant of Atarneus and Aristotle's friend. Similarly to Antiochus IV, when he died (probably of old age), a bunch of crazy stories emerged regarding the allegedly excruciating circumstances of his death. In one of them, his assassin Bagoas supposedly mutilated his corpse and fed it to the cats. It's Cookie's turn, but I also repped Sar1n and gggg for being so close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Herodotos, who lies in the course of his duties.

Go go go, I want to play! Congrats Cookiegod!