Thread: Formula for custom units stats/building effect values

Icon5 Formula for custom units stats/building effect values

Hello! When adding a custom unit or building in the game, is there a mathematical formula I could follow to keep the same balance as the developers or were the stats and effects added "manually" by them? Is there a real mathematical formula that connects price with stats/effects or should it be "a guess"?

For example (a simple one) a custom building provides 450 industry income each turn. So I guess its price should be around 5500 (like the sluiced mine) needing around 13 turns to receive the cost back to your treasury.

Now if I add +10 public order to the building, how much should the building's cost increase? Should I find the formula or guess a proper cost? And then things get a bit more complicated when it comes to units since the value of each stat or equipment is not very easy to calculate. Still I can find some patterns, like elite cavalry always being at around 1200 cost, but one unit could be 1250 and the other 1300 without easy way to tell why.

Any help or directions would help a lot. I have confidence in my ability to create something balanced, that's not the problem, but if I can do this perfectly I would be much happier!
    Last edited by Athanasios55; May 15, 2020 at 06:55 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Formula for custom units stats/building effect values

I always compare my new custom units or buildings with similar units/buildings from the subculture, to which i want to add the new stuff.

The rest is experience and estimation.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Thank you for answering! I can definitely do this. Until now I am never satisfied with my result, I always feel I could increase one value, decrease another, etc etc. Keeping the balance and preventing your custom building from being overpowered or even completely irrelevant is tough, I find.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

If you always have vanilla buildings as reference in mind, you will find sooner or later a good balance. With patience you will have success.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day