Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your Guide to Visiting America

Flinn's Avatar Jokersconi abides...
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your Guide to Visiting America

we need to make a TD Constitution to prevent people from going serious

every TD discussion that actually has a sense, is an outrage
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 of the Imperial House of Hader

Cookiegod's Avatar Primicerius

Being serious in the TD is the highest form of trolling, which is why I'm serious here and joking everywhere else.
    From Socrates to Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected and oppressed by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM
    Cope's a shill

Flinn's Avatar Jokersconi abides...
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director

Blog Entries

I tell you a secret, it doesn't work.. but maybe you have already noticed that, eh?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 of the Imperial House of Hader

I tell you what doesn't work. The US healthcare "system". I mean it's an unmitigated disaster. I plan to travel to the states to proselytise amongst the heathens and preach them the benefits of public healthcare.
    From Socrates to Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected and oppressed by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Cope's a shill

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Wow that's great you should work that into your 15 at the Apollo later.

Join the Thema Devia Discord here.
    If you would like a TWC Wiki page made for you click here
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Proud Adopted Patron of Cope

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    I tell you what doesn't work. The US healthcare "system". I mean it's an unmitigated disaster. I plan to travel to the states to proselytise amongst the heathens and preach them the benefits of public healthcare.
    The last time Europeans came to America to preach it started a continental extinction event

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

They didn't finish it though. It's rude to start an extinction event and not finish it.

Nice guys finish last though

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Yes but they do finish.

Having lived in both United States and in Europe while loving and respecting both sides of the Atlantic on many levels, I would like to remind both parties about a very fundamental thing. While you can choose what to pay for now and what not to pay for now in the political decision-making process, in the long run, we will all collectively pay the full price eventually. It is just a question of how and when. There is no escaping payment except for the lucky individuals that never see the consequences of poor planning.

If you want to skip paying that one hundred dollars or euros on social security because people should fend for themselves, it may sound like a good plan. But when someone desperate enough mugs you on the street for the forty dollars you had in your pocket and causes you an injury that takes thousands of dollars to treat and makes you unable to work for an extended time, you may think that the investment in a peaceful society would have been the better course of action after all. Policy decisions have far-reaching consequences.

I used to be much more libertarian-oriented in my political thinking until I had to deal with the reality in San Francisco. Beggars and all sorts of panhandlers everywhere. On certain streets, I could not walk for a hundred yards without being approached by either pity-inducing or threatening people who wanted my money. I decided there and then that the quality of life back home was far superior. The mentally ill wouldn't be crowding the streets and bothering everyone and I could just go about my business as long as I paid those goddamn taxes.

Of course San Francisco is a special place and one doesn't come across the same problems in rural Minnesota, but in central Helsinki, one can walk quite unbothered. I am happy to pay taxes that provide those in need with some sort of treatment and basic income and free me from having to deal with beggars and swindlers around every goddamn corner.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Having lived in both United States and in Europe while loving and respecting both sides of the Atlantic on many levels, I would like to remind both parties about a very fundamental thing. While you can choose what to pay for now and what not to pay for now in the political decision-making process, in the long run, we will all collectively pay the full price eventually. It is just a question of how and when. There is no escaping payment except for the lucky individuals that never see the consequences of poor planning.

If you want to skip paying that one hundred dollars or euros on social security because people should fend for themselves, it may sound like a good plan. But when someone desperate enough mugs you on the street for the forty dollars you had in your pocket and causes you an injury that takes thousands of dollars to treat and makes you unable to work for an extended time, you may think that the investment in a peaceful society would have been the better course of action after all. Policy decisions have far-reaching consequences.

I used to be much more libertarian-oriented in my political thinking until I had to deal with the reality in San Francisco. Beggars and all sorts of panhandlers everywhere. On certain streets, I could not walk for a hundred yards without being approached by either pity-inducing or threatening people who wanted my money. I decided there and then that the quality of life back home was far superior. The mentally ill wouldn't be crowding the streets and bothering everyone and I could just go about my business as long as I paid those goddamn taxes.
    Sounds like you just ran into normal Americans to me man
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Civitate

Blog Entries

I mean, I went to Canada and things were fine, it was only similar to what seppy described in Vancouver.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

I went to Canada and they killed me.

Surry, eh?!
    Cope's a shill

Patrician Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

oh you know what it was surry