Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gerry Adams Convictions Quashed over Procedural Error

Default Re: Gerry Adams Convictions Quashed over Procedural Error

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Since I did not take what Aexodus wrote the way you did, then your declaration about what I know is absurd.
    And as Aexodus is capable of speaking for himself, I will take what he says his intent was, rather than what you claim his intent was.
    Whatever makes your boat float...

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I don't know, it seems pretty reasonable to discriminate against Islamic terrorists, especially in light of them remaining "by far the biggest terrorist threat to the UK" according to that article you posted.
    If you are against terrorism all together, not really...
    The Armenian Issue

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    What colonial state. The Northern Ireland government?
    The Crown of England planted Plantations, which are literally colonies, in parts of Ulster from the 17th century onwards. That polity has continued its occupation, often in breach of treaties made, since then.

Why would we leave the counties we were born and raised in.
    Indeed, we in Australia ask the same question when the aboriginal people meekly request a tiny portion of their patrimony. I consider anyone born in Ireland Irish, especially if they talk too much or nurse some burning hate or other. I feel my Ulster orange ancestors as irish (and British) as my green-as-grass Cork Catholic peasant ancestors, and my morally agile Limerick ancestors (one of whom was a cursed gombeen man profiting from his dual role as entreprenuer and sheriff during the Famine) or my mild Wicklow antecedent who converted to Church of Ireland for love (at a time when it did him no good at all financially or socially).

Edit: Seriously Cyclops, as an Ozzie, where are you getting this false info from?
    The Ulster plantations are fake news now? Clearly you live in a parallel universe where there were no penal laws, Troubles or broken treaties.

I studied Irish political history at university, and have always enjoyed discussing with Irish people of all stripes their understanding of their country's past. Many enjoy unique perspectives, such as "I am right and you are wrong, but The Other Side is wrongest of all".

I am the descendent of Irish of all factions, bland CoI establishment converts, fierce Presbyterian Loyalists, fervent Methodist reformers, and obstinate vituperative Catholics with mud under the mud under their fingernails (and there's a distant kinship to a notorious homosexual author with theatrical connections). There's a little English and Scots blood in there too (please don't tell anyone, we're a bit ashamed to be part Pom).

My family contains several historians, as well as keen genealogists, and the story they unfold is so different from The Official Version. For example one history professor tried to tell me the Ulster Presbyterian and Catholic communities were "genetically distinct" and never intermarried: I was able to give him two examples from my own family of such inter-faith marriages (one in Ireland and one in Australia) as well as the customary arrangements for raising the children (they followed the faith of the parent of the same gender, hence in a third example my father was raised Methodist while my aunt was Catholic)-he didn't believe me at first, so deep was his conviction it was true.

Irish history and historiography is like that: riven by very deeply held convictions about a lot of stuff thats just not true.

Ulster was planted with colonists in the 17th century, and those colonists were used to suppress the indigenous people for the benefit of the English and later the British Crown: it is a rtextbook example of Imperialism, where a conquered province is controlled through population shifts. It was true of the Assyrians as it is of the poor Rohingya. At times (indeed for a great deal of its history) the Presbyterians were also suppressed and Wolfe Tone and others show the tendency of suppressed populations to seek Justice through violence.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; May 29, 2020 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

All the same, this is mostly irrelevant to discrimination and sectarianism in the modern era. The Ulster Plantation was a long time ago, and it’s frankly insulting Cyclops that you would suggest anyone currently “occupies” Northern Ireland. As if I’m some kind of outsider. It is drivel. Internment largely interned Catholics because rightly or wrongly, the government was most of all concerned with the IRA as a security risk. I’ve no doubt that some of the police were all to happy to arrest Catholics without charge.
    Last edited by Aexodus; May 28, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Praeses

All the same, this is mostly irrelevant to discrimination and sectarianism in the modern era.
    Like Israel? I mean the Jews were kicked out almost two millennia ago, surely they forgot about Jerusalem...

The Ulster Plantation was a long time ago,
    ...and who can really say what happened? I mean if you don't remember, that means it wasn't a colony, right? Maybe the Flight of the Earls was a trip to Ibiza that went wrong?

and it’s frankly insulting Cyclops that you would suggest anyone currently “occupies” Northern Ireland.
    That was a long time ago, and who can say what really happened back then. Haven't you forgotten? Frankly I'm insulted you still feel that way.

It is drivel.
    Still sounding Irish.

Internment largely interned Catholics because rightly or wrongly, the government was most of all concerned with the IRA as a security risk.
    ...its like they couldn't forget either...damned Irish and their functional memories...

I’ve no doubt that some of the police were all to happy to arrest Catholics without charge.
    Yeah but that was a long time ago, what actually happened back then anyway?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; May 31, 2020 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So how big does anyone feel was the sectarian element in the introduction of internment, as well as its enforcement.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123