Thread: Migration strategies

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Migration strategies

Hi, I'm new to Attila. In my first Grand Campaign, I'm enjoying the migration mechanic as the Ostrogoths, heading into the Western Roman Empire and looting settlements.

I'm wondering if other players have advice on strategies for migration. Do you build migration buildings or save money? Any tips on deciding where and when to settle?

Default Re: Migration strategies

A major problem with migrators will be the terrain. You need to be careful not to corner yourself and endanger your hordes that include all your precious buildings.

I think you know by now that setting camp is almost mandatory for a decent income. Raiding is not better for income without significant buffs, even Vandals seem to get more income from setting camp than raiding. And of course setting camp is the only way to replenish. Be careful when opening new slots, growth is valuable because it is needed for more things compared to settled factions, even upgrading buildings requires population growth points. And recruiting a new horde does too.

Hordes are fragile and not my cup of tea (I mostly drink coffee anyway ^^) but I do have fun with the Belisarius campaign which is essentially a "Roman horde". I love how their tents look when setting camp. I believe it would be very immersive to have armies from settled factiosn behave this way too, the fortified stance looks too barbarian-like, with the wooden stakes and all... Anyway I digress A horde I also have fun with is Suebi because you can strike when WRE is occupied with other invaders and have a relatively peaceful experience (for you, not for them) Ostrogoths are one of the hardest factions to play as (personal opinion) because if you follow the chapter objectives (I try to) they are impossible (not literally, but close!) and the terrain between Dardania and Panonnia or between Dacia and Panonnia is really hard to navigate effectively, sack cities and still have movement points to set camp.

The chapter objectives want you to resettle in Dacia for some reason and make alliance with the Huns. Given the current geopolitical situation that is really hard to do until 400 AD when the chapter ends. A route (without following the objectives) I have never tried but could work would be descend to Hellas/Greece and then sail from there to the relatively unprotected Italia.

In any case, have fun! Check the workshop for the Community Patch or my mod "Ultimate fixes" for Attila, you will be surprised how many bugs there are and most of them are game breaking
    Last edited by Athanasios55; May 15, 2020 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks for the advice, you're right that it's easy to get cornered. In my first Ostrogoths campaign, outlying Roman cities were easy to plunder, for coin and to improve the loyalty (integrity) of my armies. I came under heavy attack from Eastern Rome, so I headed into the Western Roman Empire.

When I looted a city in northern Italy, a Western Roman secessionist faction emerged. This conflict between Western Rome and their secessionists looked like an opportunity, so I marched both of my armies into northern Italy, where they were slaughtered by six Roman armies which attacked in a single turn!

Your advice on managing a horde is helpful, yes I'm learning to set camp and to be cautious about new slots or new hordes. I also noticed that research seems to increase your Imperium even if you haven't recruited any additional armies.

I tried again as the Ostrogoths, taking a more northerly path to avoid Italy, but this time my two armies were destroyed by four Western Roman armies which attacked together. Despite these setbacks, I'm having fun with Attila. Your advice to try a different faction sounds good - maybe the Suebi, or perhaps a non-horde faction on the edge of the map somewhere, so I can learn some of the new game mechanics in a less dangerous area.

When I played as the Huns for the first time I found it really difficult to survive and not piss people off. What I ended up doing is sending a hoard to the top right corner of the map and used it as my money maker while letting other hoards rampage knowing I was safe from destruction. Kinda cheesy tho.

Thanks, Athanasios, for your advice, particularly the idea of trying a Suebi campaign. I've been having a lot of fun as the Suebi, liberating a settlement in northern Gaul where brave Gauls live independently, despite Roman settlements to their east, west and south (I'm an Asterix fan ) and settling in Iberia. Capturing Western Roman settlements isn't hard, but keeping order, providing food and improving sanitation while trying to recuit a decent army is an enjoyable challenge! I remember Welsh Dragon recommending your Ultimate Fixes mod for Rome II, I'll look out for your similar mod for Attila - I appreciate your modding work.

skillfultree, I've heard that the Hun campaign is difficult, your strategy sounds like a good idea, thanks! I've noticed that hordes make a lot more money if they're encamped and we can get a good income from looting too, of course. That income seems especially important for migrating factions which (unlike the Huns) want to settle. When I settled as the Suebi, lack of food was a problem - which could be solved by not taxing my province, but of course that meant that I was relying on the money I'd gathered as a horde.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 31, 2020 at 03:25 AM.

Souron's Avatar Civis

I know that it might not really count as horde gameplay but personally i really enjoyed capturing a really strong roman city with the ostrogoths horde and then being able to recruit thier units into my army.

Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

I like their ability to recruit Roman units too! That's why I chose the Ostrogoths for my first two Attila campaigns.

Where do you settle, when you play the Ostrogoths? I tried to get past Italy to Iberia in my Ostrogoth campaigns - both times, my hordes were destroyed by several Roman armies in or near northern Italy. Maybe I should have settled in Greece or Macedonia? I didn't do that because I was thought I'd be caught in between Eastern and Western Rome, but maybe there's a way to survive, or a better place to settle, or a better way to reach Iberia? Athanasios suggested sailing from Hellas to Iberia - maybe that would work, I'd worry about Roman warships.

Souron's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I like their ability to recruit Roman units too! That's why I chose the Ostrogoths for my first two Attila campaigns.

Where do you settle, when you play the Ostrogoths? I tried to get past Italy to Iberia in my Ostrogoth campaigns - both times, my hordes were destroyed by several Roman armies in or near northern Italy. Maybe I should have settled in Greece or Macedonia? I didn't do that because I was thought I'd be caught in between Eastern and Western Rome, but maybe there's a way to survive, or a better place to settle, or a better way to reach Iberia? Athanasios suggested sailing from Hellas to Iberia - maybe that would work, I'd worry about Roman warships.
    I wont lie Alwyn the pull to Roma is always way to tricky to ignore! i cant help but take the former capital. of normally take it and my attempt to build "a new rome" begins!

Taking Rome as the Ostrogoths sounds ideal, if you can do it!

Is there a way to give yourself a better chance of succeeding (do you go straight for Rome at the start, or loot a lot of outer settlements to build up your armies, or something else?) In my first Ostrogoth campaign, I looted a series of outer settlements, liberated one and saw a Western Roman secessionist faction form. I thought that Rome had been weakened, but when my two horde armies entered northern Italy (as I said) they were attached by six Roman armies in a single turn - I'm wondering how to avoid or overcome that.

Souron's Avatar Civis

I think it really depends on how much the AI cares about defending the western part of its empire. i tend to loot on the outskirts of WR controlled land to build up to avoid being focused by the romans and then make a dash for it when i have built up a little. i mean the other alternative is just just work to it from the border but that will take a bit longer!

Is it possible to capture the entire map, like in MDV TW2?