Thread: Heirs

Default Heirs

Is there anyway i can assign heirs? I'm playing as Carthage and can't seem to do it. I seem to be able to do it before if i remember correctly...

Default Re: Heirs

At the beginning of the game your Faction Leader has a Potential Successor "retinue". It's light grey in color. Simply drag that into the FM you want to become the next heir. Kinda like an heir-heir.

So basically, the player suddenly has absolutely no control over the faction leadership at all? unless i murder the FM and the AI assigned heir yes? well that sucks... i remembered being able to do it before...

I'd rather have a successor appointed the normal way, too.

The "Potential Successor" is too potential to my liking. I had Pyrrhus killed in one campaign and his oldest son became a new FL. But the younger son was a potential successor. Then Ptolemaios died as well and instead of his younger brother, the new faction leader was a random man from the next generation. Because the "Potential Successor" didn't trigger.

I'd rather use the old way of appointing the factional leadership.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertykov View Post
    So basically, the player suddenly has absolutely no control over the faction leadership at all? unless i murder the FM and the AI assigned heir yes? well that sucks... i remembered being able to do it before...
    Unfortunately, the old way is RTW only. In M2TW, it was removed, so modders have to resort to doing things this way, which doesn't work all the time.

What is going to happen if I'll give the Potential Successor to a character from outside of the family tree? A client ruler, for an example?
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Laetus

I haven't the foggiest why CA decided to remove the option to choose your faction heir between creating RTW and MTW2. Did they add it back in for future titles? I haven't actually played anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by ARK93 View Post
    I haven't the foggiest why CA decided to remove the option to choose your faction heir between creating RTW and MTW2. Did they add it back in for future titles? I haven't actually played anything since.
    It was probably done in an attempt to simulate the medieval system of primogeniture. It doesn't really work like that but I imagine that was the intention.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Weren't we able to pick our heirs in previous versions of EB2? I seem to remember being able to do it before.... I see they replaced being able to choose the faction heir with the bizarre "Successor System" they pulled out of nowhere in the new updates. Shambolic.
    Last edited by qwertykov; May 09, 2020 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARK93 View Post
    They added it back in for Shogun 2 and Attila. They skipped over the family tree for Empire and Napoleon, and I don't think Rome 2 even had Faction Leaders and Heirs on release. Doubt that Warhammer and Three Kingdoms have it.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertykov View Post
    Weren't we able to pick our heirs in previous versions of EB2? I seem to remember being able to do it before.... I see they replaced being able to choose the faction heir with the bizarre "Successor System" they pulled out of nowhere in the new updates. Shambolic.
    No. I have been playing from quite early on and it always was like this. The difference is that the potential successor was appoitned by script in the family try whenever you didnt had one. Now they changed it to the retinue because it was less buggy I believe.

The thing is, that the heir is always predefined. The potential successor just gets to be the next heir. You can't really decide the current heir, or at least I dont remember ever been able to. However In my games at least I found that the potential successor does et to be the next heir most of the time.

We will either find a way, or make one.