Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Unit Workshop

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [WIP] Unit Workshop

Nicely done!

I think the tip of the sword is a bit too triangular, can you make it more rounded almost at the edge?
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    I think the tip of the sword is a bit too triangular, can you make it more rounded almost at the edge?
    The falchion is the bad boy I have to work on alongside the tunics' textures. I built it quickly to have a taste of the model as a whole. 2 boxes quickly pasted together onto one of the hilts I already had

I share you the warhammer I made for your Pelargir units. It is in OBJ format (if you need another format just let me know, but that is the easiest to import into Milkshape).
    If you already know how to import it to your units just ignore the following:

1.- Extract the zip file to your working directory.
    2.- Go to: File > Import > Wavefront OBJ
    3.- The warhammer model should appear now. Select it.
    4.- Assign materials.
    5.- Assign bones.
    6.- Assign comments. (extremely important! or you will get Jesus syndrome or CTD or both).
    7.- Adjust textures as necessary.

It is NOT textured, I leave that to you
    If you have any issue with it in game let me know, as I did not play test it, but it should be alright.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    I share you the warhammer I made for your Pelargir units. It is in OBJ format (if you need another format just let me know, but that is the easiest to import into Milkshape).

It is NOT textured, I leave that to you
    If you have any issue with it in game let me know, as I did not play test it, but it should be alright.
    3d wise I work solely on Milkshape, so it's perfect. Merci!

EDIT: I had to start working on that

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by ErTidda; May 18, 2020 at 12:28 PM.

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Quote Originally Posted by ErTidda View Post
    3d wise I work solely on Milkshape, so it's perfect. Merci!

EDIT: I had to start working on that

Bravooo! It's very cool man

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

The poor lad looks frustrated,
    That's a nice model, though, well done!
    Last edited by Veteraan; May 19, 2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Text that was funny but a bit much for TWC removed

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    The poor lad looks frustrated,
    That's a nice model, though, well done!
    They got caught robbing. happens. Now the bath is somehow no more locked 24/7. Edit: dang I'm getting censored. That emote is quite on point tho

Sad facts aside, I actually finished the model. I'm pretty satisfied, I only have to work on the normals and maybe some more detailing on the texture.

Spoiler for hammerers side

Spoiler for hammerers front

I also redid the falchions for the buckler unit. It still needs some love on the texture, but I focused on the hammerer

Spoiler for swashbuckler

Now, some technical speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Your transparency issue might be caused by the fall-off from regular brushes. I suggest you try the pencil tool to paint your alphas.
    Alternatively you can try sharpening your alpha channel.
    I actually hand-erased every pixel of the figure both diffuse and normalmap, RGB and alpha channel. Looked a bit on the forums, turned out it's probably due to how the m2tw engine handles the transparency. No workaround for that. I had to better redraw the model.

One thing I might need a help on. The hammerers animation (I used the MTW2_mace one) was really cluncky during melee fight. Is my animation pack bugged or is it me not knowing something?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think the shields would look better if they had some rim visible in the front side, otherwise they look cool!

One thing I might need a help on. The hammerers animation (I used the MTW2_mace one) was really cluncky during melee fight. Is my animation pack bugged or is it me not knowing something?
    First time I've seen anyone mention this.

Looked a bit on the forums, turned out it's probably due to how the m2tw engine handles the transparency.
    I think it may depend on the graphics settings of the game to some degree too. In some people's screenshots things with transparency look better than on other people's screenshots.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Not a big fan of alphas myself. Adding some more detail to the mesh is a good idea.

The shields look thin, I would make them a bit thicker.

The swords look a bit dark and dull, can't say if it's the mesh or the texture (maybe both). Can you post a pic of the sword meshes from the milkshape viewport (with and without texture)?
    Last edited by Louis Lux; May 21, 2020 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    I think the shields would look better if they had some rim visible in the front side, otherwise they look cool!
    I actually thought them to be built as a metal foil nailed on wood. So no real rim, except for the nails (that were lacking in the screenshot)

First time I've seen anyone mention this.
    The soldiers that are not actually fighting have like a random frame during the animation. It's weird.But maybe it's just me. I'd have to reinstall m2tw to be sure.

I think it may depend on the graphics settings of the game to some degree too. In some people's screenshots things with transparency look better than on other people's screenshots.
    But then it's border-line random, not exactly my favorite adjective. Not the biggest problem, it would have only been a tiny time-saver, amen.

The shields look thin, I would make them a bit thicker.
    I can see you point. I readjusted them so.

The swords look a bit dark and dull, can't say if it's the mesh or the texture (maybe both). Can you post a pic of the sword meshes from the milkshape viewport (with and without texture)?
    Yes sir yes (I already lightened the texture a bit here). I'm not too keen on unwelding vertices on the blades tho.

Patrician

You have a problem there with the vertex normals, which is causing the black shadows around the edge of the blade. There is a fix that doesn't involve unwelding vertices.
    What you want to do is slightly move the UV coordinates of one side of the blade.

-hide every group except the sword group you are working on
    -in the model tab, pick the Select tool and select option Face, also tick ignore backfaces
    -select the blade faces from the top viewport
    -go to Window>Texture Coordinate Editor (ctrl+T)
    -with the move tool move the blade UV coordinates slightly to the left or right
    -go to Edit>Refresh Textures with auto-smooth selected
    -shadows should not be visible anymore
    -repeat it with the other sword groups

It seems a bit long but it should only take a couple of minutes to do.
    It's a rule of milkshape, vertex that occupy the same 3D space and same uv coordinates create smoothed edges and vertex that do not occupy the same 3d space OR same UV coordinates create hard edges.

As for the texture, I would add some brighter highlights to the blade diffuse texture or work on the specular map to make the metal more reflective.
    Last edited by Louis Lux; May 22, 2020 at 08:07 AM.

It's a rule of milkshape, vertex that occupy the same 3D space and same uv coordinates create smoothed edges and vertex that do not occupy the same 3d space OR same UV coordinates create hard edges.
    Wow, I didn't know that.
    As for the texture, I would add some brighter highlights to the blade diffuse texture or work on the specular map to make the metal more reflective.
    Yeah, I'm using a pretty dark palette for the normal's alpha at the moment, I was already thinking of changing that for that same reason.

These are nice falchions ErTidda, but don't you think that their poly count is on the "high" end for a game like this?
    In any case if you re-weld vertices remember to use the "Clean" function (under the tools tab) of milkshape before you save and exit, or ms3D will mess up the UV mapping.

These are nice falchions ErTidda, but don't you think that their poly count is on the "high" end for a game like this?
    You're trying to sow the seed of doubt in me. They don't have to trick your eyes tho, those falchions don't have much polys. It's a game of stretch and wide. Still, I'm testing perforce every unit on my windows xp laptop before taking screenshots with the desktop. If I can run things there, I'm pretty sure the game can handle it. I cannot technically run ETW on that thing.
    In any case if you re-weld vertices remember to use the "Clean" function (under the tools tab) of milkshape before you save and exit, or ms3D will mess up the UV mapping.
    Another thing I didn't know. Luckily it still hasn't happened to me.

Long time no see, but I could go back to work, so less time for modding. So, this is how it's going for Lebennin as for now:

Spoiler for elite pelargir unit, hammerers

Spoiler for shock unit, "swashbucklers"

Spoiler for line infantry, halberdiers

Spoiler for line infantry, crossbowmen

I'm still struggling a bit with the textures (dunno why the officer's cape keeps being freaking glossy as hell), so I'm progressing slowly.
    Last edited by ErTidda; June 03, 2020 at 08:29 AM.

Patrician

Excellent work!
    If you're looking for some feedback, I think the faces in the halberdiers look a bit grayish and blurry.

The alpha channel in the normal map is a reflection map so the colour value on the cape normal texture's alpha channel should be 0 (black). Other than that you might be experiencing some vertex normals problem, if you post a picture of the untextured mesh I can say if that's the case.

Excellent work!
    If you're looking for some feedback, I think the faces in the halberdiers look a bit grayish and blurry.
    Mmmmm, the texture is the very same for all of them. I'll blur it less in the bump map, copy that.

The alpha channel in the normal map is a reflection map so the colour value on the cape normal texture's alpha channel should be 0 (black). Other than that you might be experiencing some vertex normals problem, if you post a picture of the untextured mesh I can say if that's the case.
    Yeah, I normally use 0 for cloth, that's why I'm a bit confused. Also since the cloack is a complete rip-off of a Taro's one, with some vertices repositioned, but it shouldn't mess it up that hard. I also aligned normals, so it's completely blowing my mind off. However, here you are (and thanks for your time):

Patrician

It looks fine at a glance. If you pm me the unit files I can take a closer look.

ErTidda, you may want to check this out: [Tutorial]Finishing Actions before Saving & Exiting a MilkShape model.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast