Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [PREVIEW] Media Atropatene Reforms

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Media Atropatene Reforms

Just hit first reform in my game, and have started to recruit/upgrade new units. Just noticed that there is no reform for the general unit? Only options are to stick with the javelins or replace him with the kinsmen lancers or satrap guard which are available from game start. Thanks.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

They have new bodyguard unit with final reform.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

It isnt currently in the beta, there is an error in the unit file so that will be fixed in the next beta update. They will have a late game general unit.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Hello there.

Thanks for the rework of this faction. I was playing a Media campaign when I found out about the rework.

I'd like to point some stuff out as an Iranian having visited historical sites in Iran and read about the history. First, is the names of the characters in this faction. We barely see any Persian names throughout the campaign. It would be nice to use more Persian and Sassanid names to somewhat give the player the feeling they are re-establishing and resembling the old Persian empire.

The second suggestion is the Persian culture icon. That crescent icon doesn't really mean much. It'd be nice to have a logo similar to those of the Achaemenid's or Sassanid's. Using something like this:

could be nicer.

Overall, thanks for the great mod you've created.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

That's the vanilla flag for media and is the one we had (maintaining the vanilla) till yesterday.
    We chose to change it 'cause we assigned it to persia (alexander's submod) and it makes no much sense to have an "imperialistic" flag for a regional power.

if you have time to write down some names we'll probably consider and add them (if they don't need any change into startpos, don't think so but can't say)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    That's the vanilla flag for media and is the one we had (maintaining the vanilla) till yesterday.
    We chose to change it 'cause we assigned it to persia (alexander's submod) and it makes no much sense to have an "imperialistic" flag for a regional power.

if you have time to write down some names we'll probably consider and add them (if they don't need any change into startpos, don't think so but can't say)
    Well, I didn't mean the faction flag, but the culture logo.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's a minor issue, but the crescent-like logo means nothing. Using Farvahar or the picture I posted above could be nicer if possible.

Here is a list of the Persian names (mostly the kings). I hope it can work out.

Cyrus

Cambyses

Darius

Xerxes

Artaxerxes

Tissaphernes

Tiridates

Shapur

Ardashir

Khosrow

Arses

Sogdianus

Arsames

Mithridates

Phraates

Hormizd

Bahram

Peroz

Kavad

Jamasp

Bardiya

Atropates

Ariobarzanes

Artavasdes

Vonones

Here are some female names:

Amestris

Artystone

Atossa

Damaspia

Drypetis

Mandana

Parysatis

Sisygambis

Stateira

Cassandane

Pantea

Atusa

Artunis

Phaidyme

Irdabama

Amestris

Artemisia

Parysatis

Roxana

Sura

Azadokht

Parin

Purandokht

Turandokht

Apranik

Banu
    Last edited by Mithridates II the Great; May 11, 2020 at 02:59 PM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

ah....
    yeah, effectively you're right, i'll change it (if it's ok to deresden)
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; May 11, 2020 at 03:15 PM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I have found a nice webpage for ancient persian names, as i'm thinking to overhaul eastern names in one of my mod projects:

https://www.behindthename.com/submit...ncient-persian

Most names are listed there in their ancient persian form and their hellenized form:

for example:

Aturpat aka Atropates.

Perhaps its worth a look.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Some great suggestions from Mithridates. It would be nice for Media to feel more distinct from Parthia - the new unit roster and reforms are certainly welcome!

I've noticed a couple of perceived errors with manpower allocation to certain Median units; all of the archer / spear units require 175 population class, but the units consist of 200 individual units.

A second (possible change) seems to be that Gor no longer has the 'Trained Slaves' resource and has reverted back to 'Wine'. Is this intentional?
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

@Mithridates Thanks for the names list. I thought most of those were in there but maybe there are some missing or perhaps a mistake in the name entries in vanilla. I will check it out!

@Mortica Thanks!

@Iron Chancellor Thanks for the reports, will fix that.

Gor had its resource moved a very long time ago to the Arabian peninsula.
    Last edited by Dresden; May 11, 2020 at 03:51 PM.

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Thanks Dresden. It's been quite some time since I've been down to Persia.
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Got to admit, the minute I here Theros reform, I think damn it, thats another distinct unit faction turning into bland greeks, not playing them. Do we lose the excellent apple warriors & sparabara units to be replaced by (quite possibly) more historically accurate Theuros (Bland) units same as half the other factions in the game.

If any faction need a pep up, its the Caraginians imo, some excellent shield mods got released for them (of Rome faction quality) & yet they dont get the shine in the base mod they deserve imo.

Historical accuracy is all well & good, but there is a reason I dont play Shogun Total War (all the units look identical), Rome is the best period for faction variety & greek influenced nations everywhere bland out the game. esp Theuros makes you have to play Rome just to wipe out the greek bordom menace.

Patrician

Media retains all units, that thureos unit is only Greek influenced unit they have. Please read more into preview, I dont see why there is a need to judge full faction based on single unit they get.

Carthage got full, custom overhaul by very skilled modders, especially shields. Not only Carthage got own textures but also new models. To make it more specific, same people who did our Roman models and textures did them for Carthage.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; June 01, 2020 at 07:48 AM.

And its not just thureos reforms, they have custom reforms.

If you play the mod, unit blandness and variety would never be a question. If anything its too much in the other direction...
    Last edited by Dresden; June 01, 2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    And its not just thureos reforms, they have custom reforms.

If you play the mod, unit blandness and variety would never be a question. If anything its too much in the other direction...

I do play the mod + enjoy it, so thank you to your hard working team.

Maybe im anti greek or something, because every unit holding a Thureos shield looks bland & awful vs every other shield in the game, therefore personnally I wont play any faction that goes through this reform, as asthetics & faction variety matter to me, more than historical accuracy.

I dont get why the mod tinkers with unit variety sometimes at all, for example lets take the latest Medui replacement units, previously we had probably amongst the best looking units in the whole game (with very unique mid sized square shield - never seen them used in any other faction or mod -truly excellent) replaced with some oval/round cow hide job lot used on any african tribal unit in the game = faction looks less unique than it did before (& for me falls off my play list as a result)

Again your mod & your vision of the game, so who am I to question it. Just a player no longer interested in playing Medui (square shields gone), Greeks, Bosphorus/Pontus/Bactria/Macedon/Odryson/Pergamon/Egypt/Rhodes(nice shields till Thureos then ive got no interest).

OK maybe Carthage is reasonable (tho not at Rome level - who are excellent), but have you ever looked at the Selucids - they seem like the team just gave up

All I can say is thank goodness the Thureos reform didn't reach the Iberian peninsula or the celtic lands, otherwise id be forced to Warhammer total war where faction variety is ensured.

Sorry for the negativity - maybe I miss those square shield africans, someone binned just to much.

Patrician

I think you are just biased towards Greeks and accuracy but I think you are overblow the whole thing, especially that stuff you pointed our are not even valid.

For example Medewi do not have a single thureos shields and after last update they got CUSTOM made new shields of different shapes and textures only for them, there is no other faction that looks like them and they for sure do not resemble Greeks.

Similar case with Seleucids, they are one of the best looking and popular factions with tons of unique looking units according to our player so it is just odd that in your eyes we gave upon where we went into a lot of hard work to make them as unique as they are now.

But your argument gets a bit weird when you mention Iberians and Celts when they are also using oval shields, especially that a lot of them are used as Thureos shields with different textures.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    I think you are just biased towards Greeks and accuracy but I think you are overblow the whole thing, especially that stuff you pointed our are not even valid. - Quite possibly & only personal taste so ok.

For example Medewi do not have a single thureos shields and after last update they got CUSTOM made new shields of different shapes and textures only for them, there is no other faction that looks like them and they for sure do not resemble Greeks. - nothing to do with Thureos here, its just the pre update SQUARE SHIELDS were far FAR better than the post update shields - its your mod im sure you can remember them just as well as me.

Similar case with Seleucids, they are one of the best looking and popular factions with tons of unique looking units according to our player so it is just odd that in your eyes we gave upon where we went into a lot of hard work to make them as unique as they are now. - I highly doubt it, they look bland compared with where they could be imo ofc again.

But your argument gets a bit weird when you mention Iberians and Celts when they are also using oval shields, especially that a lot of them are used as Thureos shields with different textures.
    - its not an oval shield thing, its a specific Thuros shield thing - they are the least patterned/least impressive/& most widely used shield design in the mod.again imo.

And as I dont want to turn this into something over nothing & as I do think your mod is a work of genius overall, ill wander off into the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    greek bordom menace.
    Is this some sort of a new Star Wars episode film? PS. As far as I understood your message I have to say I disagree with pretty much everything what you said about the greek influecned units, cartaginians, and reforms. In case of Media, if you read and played the new patch you know that Media is not now a bland greek faction, but it only got 1 unit that is influecned by greeks and multiple others inspired by parhtian-sassanid military.
    Last edited by Dumanthis; June 02, 2020 at 04:45 PM.

I understand the sentiment that Thureos/thorax can spread like the plague, maybe because its one of the only few true reforms we have evidence for existing for so many. But for the most part we try to keep that spread to a minimum.

Damn Hellenes spreading their culture all over the world. Who do they think they are, the heirs of Alexander or something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12