Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: General discussion (use of already implemented functions, etc.)

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's actually hard coded into the executable (long story how I found out), here it is:
    If so, then in the new version it will be possible to set this word. Let's see

I will answer the accumulated questions and suggestions in the evening.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 20, 2020 at 06:58 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    That could be good for some cases indeed but let's suppose you don't have enogh different portraits (I don't actually know how large are vanilla portrait pools) to create different pools for let's say two factions who share the same religion. If the pool was religion specific the generals of these two factions should look unique until the pool runs out but if the pools were faction specific and the files were the same in this pool, I think there would be chances the factions would get some identical-looking generals much earlier. Mind you, I don't of course know the algorytms that choose the portraits, just trying to think about the practical result for modders.
    Vanilla has roughly 200 portraits for the more common cultures (EE = 201, Meso = 100, ME = 201, SE = 201) greek shares with EE, NE shares with SE.
    The problem is always the number of available custom portraits, regardless of how you share them, eg what option is used (culture and\or religion) which makes it purely a modder's issue, not the application's.
    To figure out how the algorithm is used you would need to set all factions to the same culture, remove all agents and then run through the log to see which numbers have been allocated. Loading screens always start with the middle number and go random from there, I suspect the same for portraits.

Maybe increasing the culture limit might fix these problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    and how to do it? such things must be done very carefully. And thoroughly test before adding.

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    and how to do it? such things must be done very carefully. And thoroughly test before adding.
    Memory editing? Working on it

Memory editing? Working on it
    OK. Just think it’s not worth writing about such things in that tone. That is, if you have no guarantee that you can do it now (and I would not advise trying)

Blog Entries

Simply changing the entries in descr_cultures that redirect the greek and northern_european culture (as mentioned above) to use their own culture directories will create two additional choices - in total you have 7 cultures, and therefore different portraits, already.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Simply changing the entries in descr_cultures that redirect the greek and northern_european culture (as mentioned above) to use their own culture directories will create two additional choices - in total you have 7 cultures, and therefore different portraits, already.
    BTW, which things work or not work for greek and northern_european, so has to be redirected to southern_european, respectively eastern_european?

I know custom settlement models for battles have to be done this way, anything else? Portraits for example work fine for them indeed....

Another suggestion would be to allow more than just 10 unique models per faction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    BTW, which things work or not work for greek and northern_european, so has to be redirected to southern_european, respectively eastern_european?

I know custom settlement models for battles have to be done this way, anything else? Portraits for example work fine for them indeed....
    It's more a matter of convenience: portraits can be redirected via descr_cultures and other elements as well as individual building icons can be redirected via descr_ui_buildings**. Other culture dependent items like building models (battle and campaign) can be redirected to specific factions via 'faction_variant' sub directories (model_strat and blockset directories - see teutonic campaign).

**Cultures will get looked up as specified if a file cannot found, eg UI elements for the greek faction will be taken from the SE culture. Not sure how the look up for the battle stuff is handled here, the IWTE gurus (mak & Co) should know more.
    The building look up comes handy if you would normally use the same picture for multiple building tree levels, like the base temples in RTW.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 21, 2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    And the dynasty will not die out without it?
    Well it shouldn't if your character keeps having babies. And if you get the adoption out of the way, the game should then prioritize character making babies. It will have to be tested for sure.

Have to check that one, I vaguely recall we disabled it in 1648.
    Oh that intrigues me, I'd also like to know how!
    Last edited by Frunk; April 23, 2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDA ⬤ SHINGEN View Post
    Oh that intrigues me, I'd also like to know how!
    see my edit
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 22, 2020 at 09:32 PM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDA ⬤ SHINGEN View Post
    Another suggestion would be to allow more than just 10 unique models per faction.
    There's a possibility to bypass this limit, see here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15853547

see my edit
    Thanks, you'Re awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    There's a possibility to bypass this limit, see here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15853547
    That is excellent! Did Seether know about this, for RoTK? I don'T think you can have more than 10 model per faction in his mod.

Blog Entries

Araval's method requires 'dummy' factions as the use of 'sub_faction' will utilize the models and animations of the faction that got designated as sub_faction. The principle has been described in detail only recently so during the development of RotK it wasn't available. But then we used all 31 faction slots anyhow.

Basically you have the option of having (max) 310 strat models per agent in desr_character (except captains) which can be used by all faction through the sub_faction method. The slave faction has been making use of this since day one.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

As for the resources thing, simply extending the hardcoded limit (27) would be an excellent start.
    Maybe 54?

Blog Entries

That would be awesome, there are tons of stuff these resources can be used for.

Wow- Thank you for making such a wonderful mod. Do you know whether it would be possible to increase the number of settlements that could be rebuilt? For example in Divide and Conquer, a sub-mod for M2TW, you can currently rebuild 4 I believe ( Annuminas, Fornost Erain, East and West Osgiliath).

Also you mention increasing the number of cultures and religions- but are there any material differences in what culture and religion does? To use DaC as our example- each faction has a certain culture - but only a few of them actually have a religion ( Mordor is christian for example so it can call a crusade). Finally, what would be the benefit of expanding the number of cultures/religions, i.e what would it allow you to do that cannot be done currently?

Anyway, thank you so much for putting in all this time and effort, I really look forward to seeing what you produce!

Domesticus

Hi youneuoy
    !

Currently armor upgrades can give a maximum of 3 points.

Can you possibly exceed this 3 points limit for updating armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Hi youneuoy
    !

Currently armor upgrades can give a maximum of 3 points.

Can you possibly exceed this 3 points limit for updating armor?
    How can we do that? And if one upgrade gives 3 points, does it mean all upgrade give 3 points or can we have the first upgrade give 1 point, the second 2 points and the third 3 points?