Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: General discussion (use of already implemented functions, etc.)

Domesticus

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    Valid formation parameters:
    square, horde, schiltrom, shield_wall, phalanx, wedge, column, square_hollow.
    Testudo is not on the list.

Maybe you can unlock the column and square_hollow formations?

I tried to add the square_hollow formation, the custom battle doesn't crash but I can't choose square_hollow.

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    Maybe you can unlock the column and square_hollow formations?

I tried to add the square_hollow formation, the custom battle doesn't crash but I can't choose square_hollow.
    I have no idea how this should work, honestly. Maybe this works, but you don’t see it, or there are additional conditions there, or they were unfinished to the end or something else.
    And now I won’t dig into it, I just wrote a list of formations that the game is looking for in this file. Later I will deal with units a lot more and will probably figure it out if no one else understands how this works before me.

@Gebilde
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 13, 2020 at 05:09 PM.

in one of the future updates there will be an opportunity to change the guard of the commander by condition. (Name, trait, retinue, year, etc.)
    You can change it not once, but as much as you like. I briefly tested this feature, everything works.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 13, 2020 at 06:07 PM.

Some ideas to develop the attrition system (some of them could also be done with traits though):

- the effect could be totally or partially random (sometimes 0 or a varying value)
    - the number of turns in enemy land could increase the effect, or the number of turns when besieging (it could be devastating though...)
    - a small distance between an army and his faction could increase the desertion (the homeland would be easier to reach)
    - same thing if the culture of the army is dominating within the region (it would be easier to dissolve in the population)
    - i have already mentioned the climate as an independent form of attrition, but it could also neutralize the desertion (leave an army in the middle of a desertic region would have no sense)
    - units of armies under siege could sometimes be partially replenished to simulate the arrival of reinforcements
    - governors could have traits allowing the alteration of the already existing attrition during siege

I have already proposed to use attrition to kill generals, but it would not affect agents. Could it be possible to create instead a trait which would kill any character having it?

For the population system:

- the squalor could cause an exodus of the population when the public order is too low
    Last edited by Erken; April 14, 2020 at 03:00 AM.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Seems that column and square_hollow are need for battlegroups. They're used in formations file, for block_formation.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Great to see this topic so active! It's hard to keep up!

In terms of testing, I'm without a PC for modding at the moment; I'm getting a new one in a few weeks, and will try these out for my Americas mod (link in sig).

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    Seems that column and square_hollow are need for battlegroups. They're used in formations file, for block_formation.
    Yes, I think you're right.

Maybe I noticed it in EBII, when you are attacked by the enemy your units in battle are on the column.

Small update (1.14)
    Added the ability to set the cost of siege equipment (rams, ladders, siege towers).

The next update will be something more interesting.

It would be nice if all interested people supported the project in an accessible way (for example, you can test various changes, participate in planning new game mechanics or discuss them, sponsor development with money, etc.).
    With the help of this program, it will probably be possible someday to give modders the opportunity to change the MTW2 gameplay beyond recognition.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

All I could really contribute is suggestions, organization as desired and possibly testing, although the latter would be infrequent given my plate at the moment. But perhaps I could try and explore some of these things in a mod team I'm participating in and see if its bigger updates can't include nifty parts of this as appropriate. Or perhaps we can invite you for a more direct means of testing and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    All I could really contribute is suggestions, organization as desired and possibly testing, although the latter would be infrequent given my plate at the moment. But perhaps I could try and explore some of these things in a mod team I'm participating in and see if its bigger updates can't include nifty parts of this as appropriate. Or perhaps we can invite you for a more direct means of testing and communication.
    Well, all discussions and suggestions can (and probably even need) be posted here.
    Since I am making a program for modders, I hope to understand what they generally need. That is, to get more specific information about what and how they think should work, how to configure, etc. Otherwise, I can add a lot of things, but maybe no one will use it if it does not work the way anyone would like.
    Everything is the same with testing.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If you're up to a bit of reading from a random user, I can put some thoughts out to mull over for designing this.

If you're up to a bit of reading from a random user, I can put some thoughts out to mull over for designing this.

Well, here you can write everything related to this topic, I will read it all and take into account, discuss proposals, etc.
    Actually, I have repeatedly described it here.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

The first thing I'd look at for more widespread modder usage is ease of access, both for information on what does what and for actually doing it. Perhaps redesigning/rewording the menus and files would help, perhaps even having a gui to edit the various functions being added. If your suite allows for moderately easy UI design, it would make things simpler; if not, well, I could use a PHP based tool to propose layout, but I'll know to keep the suggestions as simple as possible to make things easier. Either way, making things more approachable might help the adaptation. It's not as important as the work itself, but still.

The first thing I'd look at for more widespread modder usage is ease of access, both for information on what does what and for actually doing it. Perhaps redesigning/rewording the menus and files would help, perhaps even having a gui to edit the various functions being added. If your suite allows for moderately easy UI design, it would make things simpler; if not, well, I could use a PHP based tool to propose layout, but I'll know to keep the suggestions as simple as possible to make things easier. Either way, making things more approachable might help the adaptation. It's not as important as the work itself, but still.
    I think I made a very good instruction.
    All settings are recorded in files and are applied at the start of the game. It seems to me that the graphical menu for the settings will be redundant since this will be another thing that will have to be constantly updated (since new settings are introduced all the time, etc.). Although it is very simple, but still I would not want to.
    If you are ready to quickly update the GUI for the settings, then you can do it.

The graphical menu is only for the second part of the program, as I understand it, it is interesting only to players in hotseats. There are not many functions there and there is no need to make it beautiful, I just quickly made it in Windows Forms.

I have to do UI for things like a magic system, etc. Need to write it in c ++ since it will be drawn directly in the thread of the game. I have no experience in such things, but I will try to do something more or less beautiful and comfortable.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I could trail behind with a GUI version to combine things if given source to work with, I suppose. It's less about beautiful to me and more about being cleaner in function.

I could trail behind with a GUI version to combine things if given source to work with, I suppose. It's less about beautiful to me and more about being cleaner in function.
    I do not quite understand. Do you offer to write a separate configurator program or do you offer help in adding an additional settings menu to an existing program?
    If you wish and at the same time are able to do this, then I agree.
    HotSeatTool.exe is written using C ++ / CLI, I chose this just to make all sorts of menus faster.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I might go for a split program so it can be developed on its own time while you can go for the more barebones approach in main development, although I'd probably be interested in opening the original project to know exactly what to integrate. I'm a horrific coder, but if I try to take things as simply as possible I may get somewhere. Ideally I'd be working off the same development platform as you. Latest visual studio, I'm guessing?

I might go for a split program so it can be developed on its own time while you can go for the more barebones approach in main development, although I'd probably be interested in opening the original project to know exactly what to integrate. I'm a horrific coder, but if I try to take things as simply as possible I may get somewhere. Ideally I'd be working off the same development platform as you. Latest visual studio, I'm guessing?
    Yes, I use visual studio 2019. I think we can discuss this in private messages. I sent you a message.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 14, 2020 at 06:42 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

While I'm sure youneouy and Aura appreciate suggestions, I'd caution against us loading them up with huge wishlists (believe me, I have my own ). Let's focus on the project(s) currently being developed and help with testing and whatever else we are asked for.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd especially encourage a bit more review and polish to what we have before going down the line, as several of the things I read just off the bat are not as easy as they may sound in the scope of what the tool does.