Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of plans for the development of the project and the implementation of things already selected for entering the game.

Default Discussion of plans for the development of the project and the implementation of things already selected for entering the game.

In this topic, we discuss the implementation of new functions (those that have already decided to introduce). Brainstorming, drawing all sorts of schemes, etc. - it's all here.

We discuss the following:
    Very large updates (new complex game mechanics, etc.):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

spell system on the strategic map (for the player and for AI)

Major updates (new game mechanics, etc.):

The influence of various factors on the number of people in cities (its change when hiring / dissolving units, it is also possible the effect of the number of people on the number of units hired at the same time or the speed of construction of buildings. Maybe there’s some other interesting thing about population migration or just relocation) .

There is an idea to make an exhaustion of armies or something else like that. So I’m thinking how to organize this system (you can start from almost any parameters of the army, i.e. the characters in it, troops, coordinates, and much, much more). I mean not only the names of this all, but also almost any characteristics (also these characteristics can be changed at any time and as you like).

Regular updates (new not very voluminous game mechanics, a small change in existing ones, etc.):

updating the army editing system on the strategic map (after online battles, for example).

According to the magical system:

it is planned to do something like what was in the game Disciples 2. That is, several types of mana that are spent on various spells and the spells themselves.
    How is this possible to implement now:

1 - appearance:
    You can make a full-fledged spell book (excluding the animation of changing pages in it, instead the effect will be simpler)
    it is possible to display a list of spells applied by the player and AI and their goals / results in beautiful colored letters on the screen. xD
    you can probably point the screen to the coordinates of the target and display simple visual effects on character models on the strategic map (some kind of flickering, transfusion with different colors, etc.)

2 - possible goals:
    all effects can be applied in a specific area or in a whole region, for a single target, only for enemy troops, etc.

3 - possible spells
    causing damage to the stack or unit in it, or vice versa restoring the number of soldiers.
    change of range of movement.
    the creation of new units in the stack.
    changing various characteristics of characters
    and much more.

4 - AI
    it can be written as you like, the source code will be open and it is assumed that its development will be collective (I myself will first write something as simple as possible). You can specify the use of spells before the battle, after moving, the goal to choose according to almost any criteria that you can imagine, etc.

The results obtained are 100% useful in the future. In the future, it will be possible to make various events with different answer options and effects, and much more.

Last edited by youneuoy; May 15, 2020 at 07:02 PM.

Default Re: Discussion of plans for the development of the project and the implementation of things already selected for entering the game.

Added the ability to remove labels with scripts. In the update, they can also be changed with scripts. This is necessary so that script commands work for several characters with the same label. As usual, after the development is complete, there will be a video showing how this thing works, this time there will probably also be an instruction with an example of use in scripts from Jadli.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Obviously a trait would be required for each voter.
    I would say the main trait to look for in the possible candidates should be either terror or chivalry.
    First the contenders should be selected, the heir could be one, then either the most chivalrous and/or the most dreadful could be contenders.

Then the chivalrous voters could vote for the heir or most chivalrous candidate and the dread ones for the dreadful candidate. But then some other things could sway each voter decision, like family ties or especial traits, or which were your previous votes on a past election, so a chivalrous voter might end up choosing to side with a dreadful guy because it's married with his daughter. A selfish or power hungry guy would vote always for himself and so on...

A the end obviously the one with more votes gets the trait emperor/king/whatever.

For the human player a scroll/screen with a list of all the possible candidates with the relevant info like name, faction and even a intention of vote (how many people might vote for him, perhaps with a intentional error in the number to keep you guessing) and a button besides each one to cast the vote would be great, something like the make heir button.

However I feel this is something that might benefit from having a much as possible in scripting so it can be tweaked for a broader case of use, like choosing a cabinet position or other scenarios like changing the faction leader in something akin to democracy or even a civil war were all traitor generals conspire and name a leader or something like that.

So basically it would be two parts:

1) The scripting side for checking for the traits and characteristics needed in the voting and weight who votes for who. I think many of the checks already exists on the script capabilities of the engine but certainly many more that aren't could be needed. Perhaps you could make a complete data structure on the tool for this? Advancing from the most basic checks like a simple trait and then adding up as needed?

2) Then a screen with a list of all characters (either of all the factions or only your faction) that meet certain criteria (like having a specific trait) with their names, faction they belong to and any other relevant info (level dread or chivalrous, command, age, certain traits) with a button for each at a side to select that character or increase an specific counter associated with that character. The additional info besides the name and faction could be made into a drop down or tool tip fashion so the screen doesn't have to be so large (wide).
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 23, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

A more detailed explanation of the system that i have suggested somewhere else. The idea is to give the player the possibility to quickly visualize some traits (or ancillaries) having an immediate strategic importance, this without having to manually consult the character scroll. The most evident use is for supplies, but if the attrition system is implemented it would also be a welcome complement to immediately detect if an army is suffering (or could suffer) desertion. It could also be used for titles, etc...

The indication could be in the form of a symbol or a text and would appear only when the character is selected or when the cursor is positioned over the character.

The only two conditions would be a trait or an ancillary.

Here is a first example of how it could look like. In this version, symbols are used and displayed on the same way than for settlements public order, finances, etc... The advantage of symbols is that they are more quickly interpreted.

Second possibility, a text appearing under the name of the character (inspired by the video about the heir selection).

Third example where the text is displayed over a separated window:

A fourth possibility than i haven't translated into image would be to use the tooltip. This would be probably the easierway to do it (at least i guess).

I have also tried to use icons with the card of the general, but the space is limited inter alia, so the result is not great.

Not sure if it deserves the effort, but it could be useful.

Erken,
    it seems to me that the idea of ​​displaying parameters is pretty good)
    At this stage, I think it will be best to display the most important properties of the character in a certain place on the screen (as in your image No. 3).
    We still need to think about how and what exactly is better to display and how to associate this with the config files of the program.

I think it will be possible to do the following:
    the conclusion of certain parameters of the entire army (the cost of maintenance, perhaps something else), as well as the most important traits and / or retinue of the character (I think it’s possible for some features to make an additional display in the form of a strip, like a progress bar, which will be filled depending on the level trait).

Lord Baal ,
    I think from this we can begin a discussion of one of the future inheritance systems. I will answer in more detail later, I also wrote some good suggestions about this on imtw.ru.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

Default Re: Discussion of plans for the development of the project and the implementation of things already selected for entering the game.

Could you give me the link? Ill use goolge translator.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Could you give me the link? Ill use goolge translator.
    It seems that this topic began to be discussed around here:
    http://imtw.ru/topic/60161-chego-vam.../page__st__430
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises

I have tried to elaborate a new version of the idea (without being sure of what is reasonable or not xD):
    Parameters that could be displayed:

- Name of the character
    - Name of the legio (if the feature is not used there would be an unsightly space on the panel though). It could also be replaced by an office (consul, censor, etc...) if the character has a particular trait or ancillary.
    - Portrait (not really necessary but could be a good thing for a better immersion)

- Value of the command attribute through a stripe with stars (or simply a number)
    - The number soldiers (to help to evaluate the size of the army, mainly useful when units have previously suffered losses)
    - Upkeep of the army
    - Morale (this would synthetize the different bonuses and maluses given by the traits with TroopMorale. Rather than a number, a word (bad, average, excellent, etc.. ) would be more immersive, but it would require to associate a word for each value in a config file)

For the traits, it could be interesting to have the possiblity of changing the color depending on the level, for a quicker visualisation of the situation (it could even replace the gauge if that's easier).

About the gauge, mods having each their own scale for supplies or other, it would be necessary to have a parameter for the number of segments of the stripe (from 2 to 9, since 9 is the maximum number of levels for a trait if i am not wrong).

People would also probably want to customize the background picture of the window depending on the faction/culture. Maybe I_CompareCounter could be used like for the diplomacy to determine what picture to use? Being able to chose where to place the windows is also an option.

This is the kind of things that can be done in 5 min of course...

Erken
    Well, I think it’s possible to do all of what you’ve proposed in the form that you suggested. I think at the moment the implementation will take about 2-3 weeks, if I spend several hours a day on it (I think from 1 to 5 hours, because a lot of technical work remains to be done, but then it will be easier to do such windows).
    Window textures can be attached to the selected faction, as an option.

In general, I like the idea, I will probably do it, but I'm not sure that it needs to be done now (there are more important things).

If someone has a different opinion on this subject or also has ideas, I will be glad to listen to them.

Yeah, i agree that this is everything but a priority. This is more an improvement of the comfort than a real feature. There are undoubtly more profitable things to do.

How difficult would be to raise the culture limit? It's something akin to religion or is harder?

He already raised the culture limit. What you mean is maybe raise the faction limit? If he can disable faction limit, I will personally visit and hug him.

No, he raised religion limit, not culture. Having more cultures would allow in example for each faction on mods to have unique portraits (and I think start models) for all their characters (generals, captains, princess, merchants, spies, priests, assassins), and unique settlements I think instead of sharing them among factions. This could be pretty useful for fantasy mods were you can have 32 or more very different factions or even races.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 25, 2020 at 06:48 PM.

How difficult would be to raise the culture limit? It's something akin to religion or is harder?
    No, the removal of such limits is a very long and difficult task (I have been doing this for some time, but now I can only say that the probability of success is not 100%, that the release will not be soon and that it will only be for the Steam version, if at all. Adaptation for version of kingdoms (1.5) will take a lot of time, without financial support it makes no sense to do this, probably).

Oh I see, I knew you said that about units, building, region and factions limits, didn't recall it on cultures. Thanks for the answer, anyway maybe some day it will be possible. In the meanwhile huge things are still going on!

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Hey Youneyuoy how is going?
    The project rocks and grows and it's very cool!

About the cultures, Aura was working about them? They will a dream for all modders..

I hope you and everyone is ok

Cheers ����

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

No, he raised religion limit, not culture. Having more cultures would allow in example for each faction on mods to have unique portraits (and I think start models) for all their characters (generals, captains, princess, merchants, spies, priests, assassins), and unique settlements I think instead of sharing them among factions. This could be pretty useful for fantasy mods were you can have 32 or more very different factions or even races.
    Well, specifically portraits are now solved due to the religions . As in each culture portrait folder you can sub-divide them by religions as well. And religions are now unlimited. But it of course doesnt solve the bigger issues, like settlements, etc...

I have tried to outline how the attrition system could look like by determining conditions that could offer a maximum of possibilities once combined. With those, it should be possible to simulate everything: desertion, famine, epidemics, etc...as well as affecting any type of character.

Possible conditions:
    - trait
    - ancillary
    - situation: besieger or expeditionary force (the army is in enemy lands, not besieging and doesn't belong to the slave faction)
    - bankruptcy (bellow a certain monetary threshold, armies would no more be supplied or paid, and so suffer desertion or famine)
    - local (to reserve some effects for the player)
    - mercenary (only those units would be affected)
    - character (captain, general or admiral)
    - percentage (of chance, for a non linear effect)
    - climate (of the tile, assuming testing such things is possible)
    - winter
    - counter (indicating a civil war or things like this)
    - rebel (or not, since they can be regarded as insurgents and so not really in enemy lands or acclimatised, etc...)
    - 4_coords (maybe something to do with this?)

And of course for each type of attrition created with this conditions, a percentage would determine the intensity of the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Hey Youneyuoy how is going?
    The project rocks and grows and it's very cool!

About the cultures, Aura was working about them? They will a dream for all modders..

I hope you and everyone is ok

Cheers ����
    Hello!
    Yes, I continue to gradually improve the project - it has already grown with a lot of serious opportunities.

Aura didn’t write anything about progress to me

Erken,
    It looks pretty serious) I think I can hardcode this, yet it takes a very long time to configure all the features through the config files. This is probably not the best option for hardcode, so for now I will postpone it for later.

It's a deluxe version xD. I have added a maximum of conditions in the case it would be more interesting for you to do an universal system working even with captains. But just the trait condition with a fixed percentage of 5% of attrition would be sufficient to do almost everything with generals.

You can sleep tight, i no more have complicated ideas .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast