Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Ok, so steam doesn't ban you for using what it would technically seem like a trainer or anything like that?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Ok, so steam doesn't ban you for using what it would technically seem like a trainer or anything like that?
    No, why would it? Play with this program against a person without it will not work. And it does not allow to receive any advantage.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

OK, cool! Can't wait about your need updates. Finally applied this to a submod of mine, well, for personal use only so far. A single new religion for now. Testing battles here and building temples there and all seems fine.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Ok after some weeks following this project I feel finally ready to throw my wishlist.

Its nothing but my 50 cents, no demanding or hurrying.
    This project has already achieved great things and anything else that comes will be welcome.
    Please ignore if anything I enlist here is too absurd, Im just an enthusiast.

Here we go:

1 - Fix the widescreen resolution stretch (already being done by Aura)
    2 - Reactivate the wall_level in export_descr_buildings.txt (maybe the fortification level in the .worldpackage files too)
    3 - Reactivate the settlement plans (so to make possible development of unique settlements, just imagine upgrading a historical city level by level each one having his own custom battlemodel. The system exists in the engine since Rome but was disabled in med2)
    4 - Reactivate the capacity of some units to hit gates (in Rome, elehpants could hit and breach gates, thats would be awesome for trolls and giants in fantasy mods for med2)
    5 - Reactivate the Testudo formation.
    6 - Expand the hardcoded limit of resources (its currently 27)
    7 - Fix the bug where generic stratmap settlement models shows up where unique models should be while the map is under fog.
    8 - Reactivate the sub-faction parameter in campaing_script.txt. (currently it works in descr_strat only, means we cant spawn armies with subfaction in via script, and this causes limitations for the recently discovered trick of having unique animations for generals of the same faction)
    9 - Activate the control_faction console command in single player campaigns.
    10 - Reactivate the can_swim attribute in export_descr_units.txt. In case this could help flying units to pass over rivers and lakes. Check item 11 for more complex possibilities.
    11 - Creating a new attribute for units in export_descr_units.txt to ignore pathfinding blockage in battlefield and preferably also in stratmap, so this way flying units would finally work like they should, flying over walls, buildings and ignoring cliffs.
    12 - Units with a single man (for monsters like dragons, Balrog, giants etc)
    13- Allowing the provoke_rebelion command to be triggered via script without any condition, and alongside with it the ability to decide what unit will take control of the settlement in the rebelion (just imagine a script that creates a rebelion in a dwarven mountain settlement and the unit taking control of the settlement is a dragon, so you will need to retake te settlement with an army, and get great bounties by killing the dragon)
    14 - A new interface to access diplomatic options at any time without the need of diplomats. (A button in the already existing diplomacy menu of the game, to open the diplomatic options.)
    15 - Reactivate the variation box for settlements in .worldpackage files. (currently, it works only for forts and bring us infinite possibilities. Reactivating it for settlements too would be a huge breakthrough, and I guess this is quite possible since its a vanilla feature.)
    16 - Allow spawn_army to work over ports. Currently, you cant spawn an army over a port via script.
    17 - Enable both temporary and permanent forts in campaign. Preferably, allowing modders to decide wich faction (or at least culture) will be able to build them.
    18 - Allow named forts
    19 - Military access should allow armies to pass through allied cities tiles and armies in strat map. (This way an army could cross Osgiliath if the faction owning it is allied.)
    20 - A new bonus for units when fighting in mountains (like the snow or grass one, that would be cool for dwarfs)

Thats it. I'll update the list if more things come to my mind.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; October 15, 2020 at 11:50 PM.

franky317's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Just quoting myself on this

So combining the turmoil with provoke_rebellion in the same turn should get the job done. Or the barons stuff I suppose...

(provoke_rebellion actually works, but with negative popularity as we found out)
    yes I know this, I wanted to know if it was possible to make the command provoke_rebellion regardless of the percentage of happiness.

@youneuoy

then one last thing I thought about, I searched in the discussion but didn't see.

In Rome 1 there were the landmarks, in MTW2 they had not been implemented and are simulated through resources.

can something be done?
    Last edited by franky317; May 28, 2020 at 02:35 AM.

leo.civil.uefs,
    1 - maybe something with this will work out, but certainly not soon.
    2 - not sure what you mean
    3 - I’m not sure what you mean
    4 - in the distant, distant plans
    5 - it is usually impossible to just do Reactivate (this applies to all points). I don’t think that something will work out with this point, unless all efforts are put into its implementation.
    6 - this item is on my shelf with the limit of factions, unit types in EDU, etc.
    7 - someone seems to have written something about the solution to this problem before, but I don’t remember already)) Maybe not, in any case, this is definitely not a priority. If I can - I’ll do it, I won’t specifically deal with it now.
    8 - a little later I plan to understand in more detail parameters like sub-faction, culture, etc.
    9 - done
    10 - it is usually impossible to just do Reactivate (this applies to all points). I'll see later.
    11 - sounds interesting, but if it is implemented, then most likely not soon.
    12 - yeah, in the plans. Technically, I can do this now, but I need to work on this change more subtly, so that it concerns retraining, etc. If you do this now, then retraining of such units will be available and at the time of retraining, the number will no longer be 1. Also, the generals will probably have their numbers restored with time above 1.
    13 - it sounds interesting, I think at least partially it is possible to implement it without too much time.
    14 - do you think this is very necessary? I don’t like this opportunity in newer TW, diplomats are cool))
    15 - I’m not sure what you mean

franky317,
    yes, I will see later whether provoke_rebellion can be done in any public order.
    I did not understand your second sentence.

in rome 1 in the descr_strat are set as follows:

; >>>> beginning of the reference points section <<<<

landmark pyramids_and_sphinx 322, 21
    landmark pharos 313, 36

in med2, it has been removed.

Resources are used to recreate it.
    Last edited by franky317; May 28, 2020 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by franky317 View Post
    in rome 1 in the descr_strat are set as follows:
    landmark pyramids_and_sphinx 322, 21
    in med2, it has been removed.
    Does crash happen or just no effect? Are there any messages in the log? Are all the files in their places (the game must take this pyramids_and_sphinx from somewhere)?

in rome there is the file : descr_sm_landnark , in med 2 crash :

14:57:02.760 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods\BellumCrucis7/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/Full/descr_strat.txt, at line 58, column 1
    Expected faction - must add at least two factions to the world.
    reporting this error.

I am attaching descr_sm_landmark
    Attached Files Attached Files

I looked, didn’t find anything in mtw2 related to this file (descr_sm_landmarks.txt).

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    2 - not sure what you mean
    This would allow us to set the wall level of each settlement, it is currently hardcoded and linked to the settlement core building.
    The way it is now, ladders and siege towers are built according to the core level f each settlement. So for example, when an army attack a large city, the siegers will build ladders and towers tall enough to dock the large walls.

The point is that in custom settlements, sometimes we use smaller walls (like the orc cities that use a small wooden palisade for each level, even for large cities). So if we could edit the wall_level in export_descr_building, attackers would not even build ladders and siege towers to attack these orc settlements, since there is not even walls to reach with these siege equipment.

This would avoid us seeing siegers spending many turns to build siege equipment that will actually not be used in battle and will be abandoned by the siegers at the start of the battle since there is actually no wall to assault. And would also make sieging turns less.

Actually, there is some custom settlements that are large cities or fortress but dont even have a gate (like the ruined Osgiliath), so these should work like villages, no siege should be necessary, attackers could assault the settlement instantly.

3 - I’m not sure what you mean
    Settlement plans is a engime feature from Rome. It allows specific settlements to have its unique upgrade tree.
    So for example, a city like Chartage starts the campaign as a small town, and is then upgraded by some faction to large town, and instead of getting the generic battlemap model from that faction, the settlement actually upgrades to a unique Chartage large town model, then to a unique Chartage city model, then large city and finally huge city. So Chartage will always be a unique custom settlement no matter its level, and never a generic settlement battlemodel that could be also be found somewhere.

14 - do you think this is very necessary? I don’t like this opportunity in newer TW, diplomats are cool))
    Having to recruit and send a diplomat to other faction everytime you need to start conversations with them is a bummer, specially when you need to get a diplomatic agreement quickly but your diplomat may take many turns to reach the foreign territory and start talking to the other faction. It does not seem realistical and sometimes can ruin your plans.

15 - I’m not sure what you mean
    The variation box in the .worldpackage file of settlements allow us to create battlemap model variations for the same settlement of a specific culture/faction.
    So for example, every northern european fort should load the same battlemap model in game, but with the variation box, you can have as many different ones as you want, just by writing the variation name inside that box.

I looked, didn’t find anything in mtw2 related to this file (descr_sm_landmarks.txt).
    In med 2 is missing. I was just wondering if it can be restored

about trade resources, they are hardcoded in the exe as a list. the game reads 27 of them in the code and checks the descr_sm_resource.txt. if it can't find one listed in the exe then it crashes. if it finds a newly added one in the txt, it looks back to the list in the exe and crashes with the errror "dont recognise this resource type %s".

Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    about trade resources, they are hardcoded in the exe as a list. the game reads 27 of them in the code and checks the descr_sm_resource.txt. if it can't find one listed in the exe then it crashes. if it finds a newly added one in the txt, it looks back to the list in the exe and crashes with the errror "dont recognise this resource type %s".
    How possible is to expand this limit with the tool?

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    How possible is to expand this limit with the tool?
    No way)

Ok, I got acquainted with your refinements to the proposals, everything seems to be clear If I see the opportunity to do this, then I will probably ask for more clarifications.

Yes, I am writing that this feature was probably simply removed from the .exe file.

I guess youneuoy tried to say. The tool can't do this now. He said to me that changing things that i write can take reaaally long time. but it's not impossible as I've guessed . it is just not possible right now...

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    7 - Fix the bug where generic stratmap settlement models shows up where unique models should be while the map is under fog.
    8 - Reactivate the sub-faction parameter in campaing_script.txt. (currently it works in descr_strat only, means we cant spawn armies with subfaction in via script, and this causes limitations for the recently discovered trick of having unique animations for generals of the same faction)

13- Allowing the provoke_rebelion command to be triggered via script without any condition, and alongside with it the ability to decide what unit will take control of the settlement in the rebelion (just imagine a script that creates a rebelion in a dwarven mountain settlement and the unit taking control of the settlement is a dragon, so you will need to retake te settlement with an army, and get great bounties by killing the dragon)
    The solution to 7 is in here I think

8) It doesnt? Im using it all the time in my mod and it works (at least I think so ) In what way you think it doesnt work?

13) Well, I when I wanted to do something like that I usually spawn a rebel army (with sub_faction) to take it ... Tho the forced rebellion would of course nice
    Last edited by Jadli; May 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

8) It doesnt? Im using it all the time in my mod and it works (at least I think so ) In what way you think it doesnt work?
    Check the top of the first post here

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Read it but not completely sure ... So you are talking about the sub_faction in campaign_script not working only in regards to custom general's animations, right? Not about whether units in his army would (not) have silver textures?

Read it but not completely sure ... So you are talking about the sub_faction in campaign_script not working only in regards to custom general's animations, right? Not about whether units in his army would (not) have silver textures?
    I know nothing about textures related to sub faction.

The thread I showed you is about how to have custom animations for generals.

It can be achieved by using sub-faction in descr_strat.txt as I explain in the thread, but this does not work in campaign_script.

The point is, even using descr_strat, the trick will not work.

Its all explained in the first lines of the thread.