Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I do not see a way personally for naval battles to be done easily. This would be a very complex feature, far beyond the spell feature, 10 times as difficult I would estimate.

Those are faked sea battles, (they are really land battles similar to the mod which first implemented this in RTW). Mechanically, even if a way was found to upgrade the simulation, there would be problems with which units can traverse actual water on the campaign map and how they could be represented.

CA solved this by implementing transport ships as the default for units, however the problem then is that unit strength would not be represented correctly. In my opinion, it may be too complicated a change for memory modification or at least time that could be better spent on many more features.
    Yeah thanks. The idea of sea battles is really interesting, I think sooner or later it will be possible to do something like that. Be sure to check it out.

About sieges (I think I already answered this message):
    I think I understood what you want to do, but I don’t think it makes sense to me to understand how it works in the game’s files and what it is looking for there. Apparently makanyane is very familiar with this, I don’t think that I should go all this way from the very beginning.
    Nevertheless, I believe that it is quite possible to carry out the mandatory assault on the gathering of settlements with built walls and I will definitely check this when I deal with settlements in more detail. So far I have been dealing with them only a little, in order to automatically record them in descr_battle.txt, in the end I postponed this matter until later.
    Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to reverse, at the moment I want to spend this time implementing some things that I already know how to implement and really can do it.

Emperor of the Great Unknown offers are quite interesting. Here, similar questions have already been written, having implemented all this, it will be possible to make Crusader Kings 2 from MTW2. The changes to implement these ideas look pretty minor, but before that I will need to spend a lot of time researching the game code. Of course, I will try to implement something similar as soon as I really can do it efficiently and conveniently.

Regarding Jadli's suggestions:
    I planned to move away from scripts and try to 100% replace them with something else, but apparently it would take too much time, so yes, I'm going to expand the use of scripts (but do not wait for new commands).
    What am I doing for this now:
    since for many teams only the name or label of the character is suitable, I decided that I need to be able to give the same label to different characters.
    Technically, it looks like this:
    according to different criteria (you can see their list in the available features of the program) characters are assigned a label. The condition, label and priority for it are specified in the file. I think you can give the opportunity to set several conditions at once.
    When these conditions are true, the character is given this label with a certain number (it’s easier because the game does not like if the labels are the same). But during the label check in a script or any other command, if the checked label = label specified in the configuration file, then its number is discarded and only the main part is compared. That is, this label may not be unique, but at the same time for several characters, while dynamically changing depending on various conditions.
    The conditions will be added: the coordinate area defined by points (not necessarily a square) and label.

With this feature, some of your offers are resolved automatically; you can implement this with scripts.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 29, 2020 at 06:55 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    "fortificationlevel" - didn't we decide that did work to an extent? Only the extent of the stone forts using fortification_level 3, and that differentiating the siege equipment from the ram only setting used on the default timber fort??? Though I might be dreaming that, and had just hoped it did... It definitely doesn't work at present to affect the settlements/level/versus seige equipment issue.
    Nope.

I once was mistaken and though it worked for forts, but it does not. Nor for sttlements.

Meanwhile...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to youneuoy again."
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; April 29, 2020 at 07:58 AM.

Is it possible to remove the seige weapon attribute from elephants. The AI thinks they are seige weapons but the elephants don't actually have the ability to break down gates or walls. I believe it is a vestigial peice of code from RTW.

Domesticus

Hi youneuoy!

Currently armor upgrades can give a maximum of 3 points.

Can you possibly exceed this 3 points limit for updating armor?

Did you manage to take a look at it?

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by (:Baktra:) View Post
    Is it possible to remove the seige weapon attribute from elephants. The AI thinks they are seige weapons but the elephants don't actually have the ability to break down gates or walls. I believe it is a vestigial peice of code from RTW.
    Or, alternatively, reenable the ability of the elephants to break down the gates (EDIT: and possibly the walls too)
    Last edited by AntonisTheGreek; April 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonisTheGreek View Post
    Or, alternatively, reenable the ability of the elephants to break down the gates
    Or even bring this ability to infantry so trolls could hit gates too.

Great idea, I'll see later. I will also probably see if it is possible to make them(or infantry, cavalry, etc.) really break the gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post

Hi youneuoy!

Currently armor upgrades can give a maximum of 3 points.

Can you possibly exceed this 3 points limit for updating armor?

Did you manage to take a look at it?
    Hello!
    No, there is no such possibility. I have a couple of ideas on how to implement something that includes this function, but I don’t have time to check it now.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Hi pal! I made the following list sometime ago. I'll edit the quote with the pertinent remarks in bold dark blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    I would basically love a Medieval 2 remake with the following addons:

Technical:
    - Work on 64bit systems only for the memory issues. I'm sure this is beyond the scope of what you are doing. It's this compatible with the more ram patch?

Strategic map:
    - Removed the limit on factions, units, buildings, religions and cultures, or at least increased to hundreds for everything, thousands for the units. The default question everyone does.
    - Being able to build several buildings at the same time in the same city. Would this be possible? And limit the amount to the size of the city or population or other factors? If you need me to expand this please say so.
    - Even better scripting, with more options that allows for killing specific characters (or characters with specific traits) and many other things. With this I mean specifically a script or a way to make characters from different factions or "races" to have different natural lifespans. A character with the trait human would live around 70 or 80 years with ever increasing chances of dying, the trait dwarven up to 400, elve or vampire would give the character immortality, and so on. You mention being able to set ages according to levels of a trait, this could be interesting in the case of necromancers. Also this could give means to provide a script were a character gains the vampire or necromancer trait and has it's life extended (like having an elector count or one of your generals becoming a vampire).

Battle map:
    - Naval battles. Would love to see them.
    - Amphibian battles. Pretty sure it's way beyond possibilities.
    - Every mounted unit can dismount. Could it be possible, if not in mid battle (can't see it happening), at least like it was on Med 1 pre-battle option?
    - Control of at least 40 units per battle. Might need also UI modifications. Could it be possible?
    - Units being able to "broke up" like in Cossacks games for sieges or street battles. Perhaps not into individual units but squads of 10/20/30 or so soldiers. Out of scope.
    - Garrisonable buildings, like towers, gates and keeps. Towers and gates not working unless you have soldiers in them (this works in context with the option of separating units). Out of scope.

The following is optional but would be great: (And also probably all impossible)

Technical:
    - Employ scalable multi threading.
    - Updated graphics, but I would be content with Med2 quality anyway.
    - The engine capable of taking custom animations besides the custom models and textures. (dunno if Med2 actually takes new custom built animations made from 0, if that's so then this point is moot)

Strategy:
    - More than one city per province.
    - Logistic and supply system for armies.
    - Manpower and more deep population system.

EDIT:
    Being a remake this should be naturally on the game anyway, so I removed it from the list and put it here.
    - No building slots, keep the original Med 2 system. Before yelling imbalance or everyone building everything everywhere, building should be a very expensive enterprise, tied to resources, manpower and upkeep, so it would be naturally nonviable (is that the right word?) to build everything everywhere.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 06, 2020 at 10:57 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Lord Baal:
    Hello
    most of these questions have already been asked here, I agree that it would be great to see this, but I think it makes no sense to do it all. Something can happen by itself, as a side effect of other changes.
    About the patch for using 4 gb of RAM:
    everything will work if you patch the .exe file yourself. It changes only 1 byte, which is not used at all while the application is running, it is needed only at startup (therefore, I cannot include it in this program, it is impossible to do this in runtime).
    Farther:
    The simultaneous construction of several buildings is a good idea, but we'll see sometime later if it makes sense. Now it would be a waste of time and the result would not really change much. It seems to me that the existing construction system is very good. Well, it's probably better than in the newer parts of the series)
    As for the killing of characters: a future update will allow you to do this and much, much more. In a neighboring topic, I wrote about this and posted a couple of videos.
    I can realize different life durations for different races, but not now. Unless it is required for some modification and I will be very well asked about this and argued about the need for this.
    Immortality, depending on various conditions, has already been implemented; you can make such "vampires".

Logistics and supply system will be, you can join the implementation planning in the next topic.
    The new mechanics of the population are also affected.
    Last edited by youneuoy; May 06, 2020 at 12:43 PM.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Thanks for the answers my good man. I'll be sure to have an eye on this.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    As for the killing of characters: a future update will allow you to do this and much, much more.
    That sounds fantastic. I always wished it were possible to script killing a character. Like if a character gets a certain trait that it would kill them instantly.

On a related note, Do you think it could be possible to script characters and/or settlements to rebel?

On a related note, Do you think it could be possible to script characters and/or settlements to rebel?
    It sounds interesting, I will need to try

I do have one question, in a mod im currently plannimg im hoping to have generals essemtially be 'mobile settlememts' where they can recruit units outside settlememts, i was plannomg on using a system of ancillaries and mercanaries to achieve this. Do you think thie tool would offer a better and more streamlined alternative?
    Im also very curious to wonder if you would ever consider increasing the unit/culture and mount limits in the game, it would be beyond amazimg if that were possible
    Sign the petition to remove the hardcoded limits from M2TW
    https://www.change.org/p/creative-as...t_created=true

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    I do have one question, in a mod im currently plannimg im hoping to have generals essemtially be 'mobile settlememts' where they can recruit units outside settlememts, i was plannomg on using a system of ancillaries and mercanaries to achieve this. Do you think thie tool would offer a better and more streamlined alternative?
    Im also very curious to wonder if you would ever consider increasing the unit/culture and mount limits in the game, it would be beyond amazimg if that were possible
    I did not quite understand the question. Look at the capabilities of the program and decide for yourself: with or without it is better What do you think is lacking in the game for this, and does it make sense to spend time and energy on implementing this something? More technical details are advisable.
    As for the removal of limits, I have repeatedly answered. In general, it may turn out to be done as a side effect of other changes, but this is not the goal of this project.

I don't know if this has been implemented or not, so I thought I would ask. Would it be possible to change the player faction (The local faction) in an campaign using a script, without enabling hotseat mode for Medieval 2?
    The reason why enabling hotseat is problematic is because for many mods, our campaign scripts would have to be rewritten for the game to run in hotseat mode, so I was wondering if this tool could be used to do that without having to enable that mode and rewriting the campaign script?
    Thanks
    All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Its a pity the widscreen resolution is not being worked. I believe its a priority since its something of interest for the entire community and would give a new life to the game. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Someone else asked but let me re-check, any plans to allow factions to have more than 1 animation for generals?
    Currently, we found a way how to have generals with custom animations in the same faction but they cant be spawed via script so its not ideal.
    Regarding the screen settings:
    I will do as soon as I can. Well, that is, right now I will not rush to do this., But I myself would like this change.
    I'm not sure about the animations, and besides, I haven’t done them at all. Are you talking about a campaign map?
    That is, these animations can be set to the generals in descr_strat, or how? I would like to know more.

Link12:
    That sounds pretty complicated. I had plans to try to make changes to the existing faction, but not so serious.
    As far as I remember, all scripts in hotseat mode work if you do not block the console. True, this may not work correctly if there are several factions-players.
    Last edited by youneuoy; May 10, 2020 at 01:39 AM.

Hello youneuoy,

I would like to have an option to downgrade settlements. For instance to represent the sacking of cities.
    Related to that I am interested in mechanics describing which buildings are destroyed by sacking/exterminating a settlement and natural disasters like earthquakes.
    Maybe something is hidden in the executable.
    I think this could help preventing many cities becoming to developed and fighting to many army stacks.

Thank you for the effort you have put in making this wonderful game even better.

Best regards

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    That sounds pretty complicated. I had plans to try to make changes to the existing faction, but not so serious.
    Are you thinking of adding a way to change the name, the colours and the coat of arms of a faction mid-campaign? That's an idea I had, and I want to see if we're thinking the same thing.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

I think its already possible with the labels overhaul (and partially even before)

Anyway, the game already does that, joining the rebels is regular and you can already make it more frequent by modifying a line or two in descr_campaign_db. Similarily, it is already possible for generals to join other faction, be it a bribe or shadow faction mechanics (barons alliance in britannia DLC), so it might not be that difficult to do what you suggest.

Neverthless, we should be already able to do it for most part, using this version's labels overhaul. As you now can do almost whatever you want with all generals at any point of the game. So if there is some general who would be supposed to rebel/start civil war or something, based for example on his trait, event, loyalty or something like that, you can choose him in the script, and for example give him another (hidden) trait that would decrease his loyalty tremendously, thus he would definitely join rebels till the next turn, or a shadow faction if the faction has any. And I believe if he was inside a settlement, the settlement would rebel too, right? Or would he be kicked out? Anybody knows?

Though,there is a "provoke_rebellion" command that is supposed to force settlements rebel, but based on this discussion it doesnt work. But there is another command, "add_settlement_turmoil settlementname value" that works. It increases unrest, but you need high values to make the settlement rebel.

You can also use "barons alliance" emergence script for any faction, assuming the shadow faction in the script are rebels(=slaves. Rebels are de facto shadow faction to all factions so it works), so with doing some smart scripting you can do it to force a settlement of your choosing to rebel. I recall there was a guide on this, but cant find it RN. Anyway, the basics is that shadow factions emergence check public order in each setttlement and the ones in a public order limit you make can rebel, and you can also set how many settlements should the original factions keep, so through this there is a way. You could also combine it with "add_settlement_turmoul" to change public order to what you need. With labels now you could also make sure the govenor becomes "bad" to force it.

But yea, if there was a simple commnand for it, I suppose it wouldnt hurt

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    I think the tool can help you with this. You can give labels to any character any time based on almost anything you want now, so you could simply script him the receive units using the labels (create_unit command), based perhaps on some probably complex system of ancillaries/traits that you would make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainhouzhe View Post
    Hello youneuoy,

I would like to have an option to downgrade settlements. For instance to represent the sacking of cities.
    Related to that I am interested in mechanics describing which buildings are destroyed by sacking/exterminating a settlement and natural disasters like earthquakes.
    Maybe something is hidden in the executable.
    I think this could help preventing many cities becoming to developed and fighting to many army stacks.

Thank you for the effort you have put in making this wonderful game even better.

Best regards
    Interesting idea indeed.

Though, we would need to be able to control what settlements could "downgrade" and so on, or perhaps always be able which buildings can get destroy. Becase in mods with custom settlements (or "regular" custom settlements ) it would create chaos.... Also the thing connected to that is that if you upgrade a settlement that has other culture, it will now use your culture... so if you downgraded foreign settlement, it would likely receive your culture, which might weird at some cases.... This would indeed need some smart way to handle this...

Or perhaps add a "command", that would simpyl make you able to "control" some stuff after "sacking" a settlement, for example making it unable to build anything for a number of turns, or make everything more expensive (though, might be ablready possible with some crazy scripting...)