Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Hello youneuoy,

I am interested in changing the line of sight of watchtowers and ungarrisoned cities, forts.
    Have you come upon this value in the exe?

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainhouzhe View Post
    Hello youneuoy,

I am interested in changing the line of sight of watchtowers and ungarrisoned cities, forts.
    Have you come upon this value in the exe?

Best regards
    Hello.

I'll see if I can do something about it, but I'm not sure about the timing.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

Thank you, take your time.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    added the ability to load any number of your own .cas models into the game and place them on the strategic map.
    Hey youneuoy

Do you think you could expand this function, so that it would be possible to load the .cas based on some conditions? Such as some of those you made for the diplomacy or labels (CompareCounter, turn number etc)... since it works for the others ones already, I suppose it shouldnt be that difficult perhaps? I need to have some cas files on map only in one campaign (CompareCounter would do it), not all of them... and if it could load the cas only based on some conditions during the game, that would be even cooler (Oblivion gates opening, and stuff like that). And modders would be able to include some epic global events to be visible on strat map, such as a country destroyed by fire/volcano... and many other things, endless possibilities
    Last edited by Jadli; December 02, 2020 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Hey youneuoy

Do you think you could expand this function, so that it would be possible to load the .cas based on some conditions? Such as some of those you made for the diplomacy or labels (CompareCounter, turn number etc)... since it works for the others ones already, I suppose it shouldnt be that difficult perhaps? I need to have some cas files on map only in one campaign (CompareCounter would do it), not all of them... and if it could load the cas only based on some conditions during the game, that would be even cooler (Oblivion gates opening, and stuff like that). And modders would be able to include some epic global events to be visible on strat map, such as a country destroyed by fire/volcano... and many other things, endless possibilities
    you can do this now, but only by creating your own plugin for m2tweop (you need to know a little c++). It seems to me that it would be too long to do the replacement support in another way.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises

In RTW, there was an unshielded flank. This was the right side, the one holding the weapon. Missile attacks from the right side ignored the shield value, thus encouraging missile troops to attack this side or the rear.

This was based on the historical deployment of troops such as hoplites, who took special care to protect their "unshielded" side.

In M2TW, there is no unshielded flank. Both sides are protected at 50% value of the shield. This removes the tactical advantage of attacking from the unshielded flank, like horse archers or fast moving skirmishers.

In these links CA explained how shields worked and what the values were.
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post11406767
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post11417460

Would it be possible to tweak this value, to make shield works as in RTW? To be able to have the right side be unshielded?

Thank you for all your effort.

Icon1 Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    Fix the widescreen resolution stretch (already being done by Aura)
    Any news on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sindathar View Post
    Any news on this one?
    no, he doesn't write anything. I think he stopped working on it.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

you can do this now, but only by creating your own plugin for m2tweop (you need to know a little c++). It seems to me that it would be too long to do the replacement support in another way.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Dont worry, is not that hard at the level required. Ask youneuoy for guiance.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Dont worry, is not that hard at the level required. Ask youneuoy for guiance.
    And there is. It is unlikely that simple operations will be more complicated than ordinary scripting, rather it will be a little unusual.
    I have not finished the functionality for plugins yet, I think I will provide some of this in a week or two.

Great project youneuoy!

I am curious that your project could remove units limit and how hard it could be. As far as I know old (abandoned now) project of Zarathos was very close to achieve this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    By all means, patching the executable can lead to infinite opportunities to improve the engine (adding new features, fixing bugs, improving existing features, removing limitations and so on) of a game that left its development stage long, long time ago and it's no more being improved and maintained by its creators, but that still has a great and very active modding community and is still being sold (blink blink). Here is what I achieved so far:
    changed the EDU units limit from 500 to 1000 (just some memory allocation adjustments and pointer shiftings remain to be done);
    changed the soldiers limit from 4/100 to 1/150 (if I'll find the multiplier being used when you set the CFG option unit_size to a value different than normal we will finally be able to have real one-man units);
    made the executable aware of large memory addresses on 64 Bit systems with at least 6 Gb of RAM;
    optimized the game engine for single core execution.
    All I need is collaboration. Analyzing an executable is a very difficult and time consuming task to accomplish that requires a high knowledge of software architecture and assembly code. Anyone willing to help me is more than welcome provided he knows how to use the necessary tools (IDA Pro, OllyDBG or another similar debugger and an hexadecimal editor).

I have tried to comunicate with Zarathos over this, since one would think that he could lend his efforts to this project and make short work of the accursed unit limit but got no response. He was last active in august last year but cant remember if I wrote him before or after that.

Most likely he lost or maybe deleted all his work somehow or simply lost all interest in it. Other option is that he was bluffing but it seems unlikely, he was not working alone but all the other members of that project are either unresponsive, missing or dont have any backups anymore.

A really sad situation, since expanding the unit limit would put this on the radar of virtually all players, give a true second life to Med2 and certanly enough interest and backup and momentum to "quickly" unlock faction and region limits, and then.... Medieval 2 woul reingn supreme over other Total War entries.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Indeed, unlocking province limits would be really awesome and the perfect complement of a potential expansion of the unit limit.

I have tried to comunicate with Zarathos over this, since one would think that he could lend his efforts to this project and make short work of the accursed unit limit but got no response. He was last active in august last year but cant remember if I wrote him before or after that.

Most likely he lost or maybe deleted all his work somehow or simply lost all interest in it. Other option is that he was bluffing but it seems unlikely, he was not working alone but all the other members of that project are either unresponsive, missing or dont have any backups anymore.

A really sad situation, since expanding the unit limit would put this on the radar of virtually all players, give a true second life to Med2 and certanly enough interest and backup and momentum to "quickly" unlock faction and region limits, and then.... Medieval 2 woul reingn supreme over other Total War entries.
    I think he would have shared the results if he had actually done any of this.
    Also I have no idea how to do this kind of thing "made the executable aware of large memory addresses on 64 Bit systems with at least 6 Gb of RAM;
    "
    something strange here - "optimized the game engine for single core execution."

I think he did something about it, but then he did not see a huge mountain of work to be done, so he was so optimistic - "changed the EDU units limit from 500 to 1000 (just some memory allocation adjustments and pointer shiftings remain to be done) ; "

It seems to me that the same thing happened as with Aura (he wanted to make a widescreen interface) - the initial dizziness with success, after which the realization of the real state of affairs came

Trarco
    Indeed, unlocking province limits would be really awesome and the perfect complement of a potential expansion of the unit limit.
    If something like this happens, it won't be at all, AT ALL soon. Or it will have some other shape.

Seems the only real chance of this is if they ever come back with the source code of medieval 2 they said they have lost*. Or if by chances enough skilled people decide to pool over and make a open source clone capable of using its assets. Or enough people get in gear to help you in this project, how many skilled people would you think necesary to unolock those limits in say, one year?

*I do not believe them at all. In fact I expect they anouncing med 2 for icrap and android at any moment claiming some miracle backup appeared of nowhere....

Then of course the perfect excuse to not patching the game glaring errors and limits would be they are actively using it as it is.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; January 18, 2021 at 08:00 AM.

I think he did something about it, but then he did not see a huge mountain of work to be done, so he was so optimistic - "changed the EDU units limit from 500 to 1000 (just some memory allocation adjustments and pointer shiftings remain to be done) ; "

I am curious about units limit, and how hard and work intensive it is. Do you have any plans or thoughts about it?

If Zarathos had some progress in this matter I assume that it is not that hard as province or factions limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarrr View Post
    I am curious about units limit, and how hard and work intensive it is. Do you have any plans or thoughts about it?

If Zarathos had some progress in this matter I assume that it is not that hard as province or factions limits.
    I think it's very long and pointless. And it doesn't seem to me that Zaratos came close to solving this problem (although perhaps he thought so).
    Perhaps later it will turn out to come up with something with this, we'll see. Now I have no ideas.

Long, yeah, pointless, nope. More factions and regions have been the number one request since big mods started apearing around.

Long, yeah, pointless, nope. More factions and regions have been the number one request since big mods started apearing around.
    I totally agree with you.

Trarco
    If something like this happens, it won't be at all, AT ALL soon. Or it will have some other shape.
    Thanks for the reply, it's perfectly understandable

BTW, youneuoy, I have another suggestion but it also looks like hard to implement. Anyway, in EB2 we use the ports to represent important coastal cities, inspired by the new features you want to add to the forts, I wonder if it would be possible to also have ports with their own names and even give them the ability to build buildings and maybe even recruit units.

The following suggestion was made by @Septentrionalis in other thread. IMO, it should be taken into account:

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    If I could get one thing, it would be a figure in the UI that tells the management capability of a general/family member. It is such a hassle to manually keep track of who is able to run a problematic region.
    Last edited by Trarco; January 19, 2021 at 08:51 AM.