Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Not quite so, it makes an election among several generals with a certain trait (elector counts) and the winner get's the trait Emperor.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

I would like to see custom cities in M2TW like Constantinople, Paris or Venice.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Not quite so, it makes an election among several generals with a certain trait (elector counts) and the winner get's the trait Emperor.
    Yes, but thats not papal election, papal election is still in place (and I believe it includes the general-cardinals as I said).

The thing with emperor could likely be easier if it could be using papal system as well, tho it would have to get rid of the pope. And yes, indeed the voters (kurfursts) are generals (could be also (arch)bishops I suppose) from amongst HRE factions who can somehow vote, that part is kinda messy as you say. I think that with labels overhaul it might be better to improve it, and I think even without it might be possible to use something else than the advice button...

Anyways, I somehow got access to the new unreleased files which are very cool (map is centered on middle/southern/western Europe with 31 factions) when I have time I can check whether the election was changed or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Greece View Post
    I would like to see custom cities in M2TW like Constantinople, Paris or Venice.

There is absolutely nothing stopping modders from doing so, except being lazy as I dont recall any one of them have done so.

The unit experience system was changed from M2TW to Kingdoms. In M2TW each 3 pips (copper, silver, gold) gave +1 attack and defense, while in Kingdoms it only gives attack and no defense. Restoring experience to work like it did in M2TW vanilla would be imo a great change, making experience also useful for defensive units.

If these could be tracked down, it would also allow modders to restore the behaviour of RTW experience. The units there got +1 attack/defense for each chevron, so gold capped units would have +12a/12def and be insanely powerful.

Other parameters that experience affect, that doesn't seem to have changed from the base M2TW game to the expansion, are morale and accuracy. I can't confirm how much per chevron, but it is faster than experience, possibly 0.5 or 1 point per chevron.

Finally something that could help mods a lot is figuring out the unit upgrade system, being able to change the 2.5 armour upgrade between: none, copper, silver and gold. This parameter could be set to 1 to match the interface, giving another tool for modders. But imo the most relevant change would be if it was turned to be zero, effectively giving the possibility of having the same unit but with four distinct appearances.

Imagine legionaries from italy, others from syria, others from britain, each one using different models, or spartan, athenian, ionian hoplites. Or elven archers if they are from mirkwood, lothlorien or rivendell. So the same unit could have different appearances based on location, reforms or something else. That would remove a lot of the clone sympton from armies in M2TW, with units looking different based on their region or reforms that have been passed.

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Re. Fortresses and buildings: what is missing is the ability to enter them. As the game engine is now, you can only use a city's stairwells to occupy fortified walls. 2ndly, there should be a civilian population, whether in refuge, seeking refuge or in an unorganized state of town militia. obviously, neither of these would be necessary to achieve the game's goal; but, in the 1st instance, there's a tremendous defensive potential to fortresses left untapped, and in the second instance, it is lending a 3rd dimension to the battle field, while introducing random elements which may be helpful or otherwise hinder tactical planning

the means of city conquest by occupying the town-square should be changed. occupying key tactical locations should help lead to a 'surrender' - an option which is for the most part not given to fielded troops, but should be; like the option to place specific units in your battle roster under AI control

Note: apologies if misplaced commentary. i may have been answering another thread

There exesit a feature wicht let you hide the slavefaction religon indicator in forgein settlements
    would it be possible to expand that for other religions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails effect.png   settlement outside display.png   settlement display.png  

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Like hidden cults?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Other parameters that experience affect, that doesn't seem to have changed from the base M2TW game to the expansion, are morale and accuracy. I can't confirm how much per chevron, but it is faster than experience, possibly 0.5 or 1 point per chevron.
    Just to make sure: you mean that in your observation morale and accuracy increase with each chevron?

Civis

This looks very very promising. Amazing work guys. This is one of those modding projects where you go "hey.. why aren't these guys curing cancer instead?"
    I suppose my main wish for Med 2 would be something like a population system. Be it Rome 1/Rome 2 DEI (where each city had its own manpower), EU4 (where you've got national manpower) or Vic 2 (which is crazy and stupidly (in a good way) complex) doesn't matter, any of them would just be mindblowing in Med 2. Ideally this would play into some sort of unit regeneration, sort of like how Napoleon works, only it would draw from your population. God, that'd make the game much more strategic, and also less micro intensive, which would be very nice indeed. I don't know, the DEI guys managed something like it in Rome 2, and so maybe this is just wishful thinking for the old Med 2 engine. But hey, it's a wish-list, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frotzy View Post
    This looks very very promising. Amazing work guys. This is one of those modding projects where you go "hey.. why aren't these guys curing cancer instead?"
    I suppose my main wish for Med 2 would be something like a population system. Be it Rome 1/Rome 2 DEI (where each city had its own manpower), EU4 (where you've got national manpower) or Vic 2 (which is crazy and stupidly (in a good way) complex) doesn't matter, any of them would just be mindblowing in Med 2. Ideally this would play into some sort of unit regeneration, sort of like how Napoleon works, only it would draw from your population. God, that'd make the game much more strategic, and also less micro intensive, which would be very nice indeed. I don't know, the DEI guys managed something like it in Rome 2, and so maybe this is just wishful thinking for the old Med 2 engine. But hey, it's a wish-list, right?
    Well, this is already in the list of plans, you can share your detailed vision of this mechanics on this page:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ering-the-game

I will answer the remaining messages here a little later, now I'm a little busy.

So, let's go:
    elector counts: it’s possible to make something like the election of a king’s ruler by generals, but by what criteria should selection be made, have ideas? They don’t have a personal opinion about each other, so far it’s not crusader kings))

Experience System:
    I seem to understand how to change the characteristics of detachments, but I'm not sure that this will work correctly - we need tests. Maybe I'll do a little test function in the next update and relying on the test results directly in the battle (since I'm sure that the improvements in weapons and armor will be displayed correctly, but I don't know how it will work in practice).

Fortresses and buildings: I did very little on the tactical map and can do little now, and studying it now is not a good idea in my opinion - it will delay the development of other changes. There are many plans, but I am alone.

Concealment of the indicator of religion (Gebilde):
    an interesting idea and I'm glad that you provided all the data (the parameter responsible for this and the clear conditions for observation) - I will check whether it will be easy to implement it, I like the idea.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

Another interesting feature would be to allow the horsemen to dismount their horses either before the battle or even during the battle. Surely, it will be hard or impossible to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trarco View Post
    Another interesting feature would be to allow the horsemen to dismount their horses either before the battle or even during the battle. Surely, it will be hard or impossible to do.
    I can make dismounting before the battle, but at the moment it will require making a save-load, which is very inconvenient. Probably later I will implement this when I’ll deal with the problem in more detail, but not now.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    I can make dismounting before the battle, but at the moment it will require making a save-load, which is very inconvenient. Probably later I will implement this when I’ll deal with the problem in more detail, but not now.
    So it would be possible for the player to decide before battle which kind of the unit he wants to use: mounted or dismounted? (what follows: all units that have this capacity would have two versions: mounted and dismounted)
    How would the AI handle it?
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Which algorithm of choice for AI to write, and will cope. But first, you need to remove the need to make a save-load, and for this you need to find the time, and already there are many different tasks. In general, it certainly will not be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    So, let's go:
    elector counts: it’s possible to make something like the election of a king’s ruler by generals, but by what criteria should selection be made, have ideas? They don’t have a personal opinion about each other, so far it’s not crusader kings))
    Maybe by adding the points of each attribute (or some of them), and thus determine which character has the most points. This would allow to be sure that a bad general is not elected and generate very different profiles. At least it should not be easily predictable (if the generals are numerous) while remaining coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    Maybe by adding the points of each attribute (or some of them), and thus determine which character has the most points. This would allow to be sure that a bad general is not elected and generate very different profiles. At least it should not be easily predictable (if the generals are numerous) while remaining coherent.
    Yeah, but choosing the best of the generals is probably not an option either - there must be something else.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Interesting.

Perhaps it could be checking family statuses the most primarily, like that a general would vote for the most elder member of his family, or a relative to the family, and as a secondary criteria it should be based of similar traits/attributes I suppose. Pious generals would likely want to vote a pious characters etc. And there could be picked some personality traits, such as that "just" character would want to have a "just" king as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Interesting.

Perhaps it could be checking family statuses the most primarily, like that a general would vote for the most elder member of his family, or a relative to the family, and as a secondary criteria it should be based of similar traits/attributes I suppose. Pious generals would likely want to vote a pious characters etc. And there could be picked some personality traits, such as that "just" character would want to have a "just" king as well?
    That sounds good already.
    I can check the characteristics as well as family relationships.
    It's just that it’s still not clear exactly how to organize this, if someone outlines his detailed vision of this mechanics, then I will be happy)