Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

Default What do you think is missing in MTW2? Here we make update plans.

In this topic, we express our Wishlist and understand what makes sense to implement at the moment, and what is not.

If possible, please write the most detailed offers. It is also desirable that their be at least slightly related to already implemented functions or development plans. You must also be sure that there is no way to implement your idea with the help of game scripts, or it is very difficult. A discussion of your suggestions is welcome.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Would it be possible to reactivet Rome/BI features like: (recruit "unit" 0 requires factions { faction, } ), wich requers populations or giving back population when disbandet
    seperat walls and settlement upgrades?

Default Re: HotSeatTool(Expanding MTW2 Engine Features)and instructions for the program, in pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Gebilde View Post
    Would it be possible to reactivet Rome/BI features like: (recruit "unit" 0 requires factions { faction, } ), wich requers populations or giving back population when disbandet
    seperat walls and settlement upgrades?
    The idea with the population and the hiring is interesting, I really liked these little things in rtw. I think it is possible to implement it (though I’m not sure that it can be simply “turned on”).
    I can’t say anything about the buildings, I didn’t do them at all.

Regarding immortality from aging. I thought a little and decided that it would be nice not to bother with calculating the age, etc., but just to put it always minimal for immortal generals. To make everything look more or less beautiful, I can give the opportunity to display text instead of age for such characters (if it will be very necessary, I will also make age later). Probably I will make it possible to declare immortal characters with a certain trait (later it will be possible to add additional bonuses depending on the level of trait) or anchillaries, and it can also be by name (this will all be set in a separate config file). It looks like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

but you can not display anything, it even looks better:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Frunk; April 09, 2020 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

How the system works with immortal characters:
    In the mod folder in the file, the parameters are set along the path youneuoy_Data\age.yoneuoycfg. Each parameter takes three lines:
    parameter type (trait, ancillary, name)
    checked value (the name of this trait, ancillary or name, without specifying the level of the trait! Only its presence is important (I can do it for levels if anyone needs it)).
    string to display on the screen. By default, the game displays the age like this:%S %d. You can do the following with it:
    enter the characters %S and %d (only one at a time and exactly the same size, but not %s and %D!)
    %S substitutes the line from the text file strat.txt (SMT_AGE), %d displays the actual age of the character.
    record any number that will increase every year (just a year, do not turn, you do not need to configure anything additionally). In this case, the value for displaying on the screen is calculated by the formula: the number entered in the line + the current year in the campaign is the character’s date of birth. That is, if you enter the line %S 2322 and set the character in descr_strat to be 20 years old, and the campaign starts in 1020, the following will be displayed on the screen: Age: (well, or what is written in your SMT_AGE) 2342. A message will be displayed in a year Age: (well, or what is written in your SMT_AGE) 2343, etc.
    You can also add various letters and characters to these lines (but not %s, %D, etc.).
    You can specify several spaces in a line.

The game checks these parameters for the character once after the rebels move or when the information window is opened. The parameters are checked in the order in which they are written in age.yoneuoycfg, if at least one match is found, then the necessary parameters are set for this character (the age is up to 25 years old, in both cases) and a message to display on the screen (only when the characteristics window is opened )

You can track errors by reading the log file along the path: mtw2/logs/ages.youneuoylog folder

This is what your age.yoneuoycfg might look like:
    trait
    testnametrait
    hello!
    ancillary
    testnameancillary
    fff
    name
    Enrico_II Plantageneto
    %S 2312
    name
    testname
    test 12333 xD
    Last edited by Frunk; April 11, 2020 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

There is a problem in the game - crash in the battle with units- berserkers.
    So for berserkers:
    indeed, a crash occurs on one instruction (in a function consisting of one single instruction). There is a crash due to the fact that the instruction is trying to get something out of the empty pointer, but can’t do this.
    I have no idea what the function that causes this problem does.
    This function is called from over 160 places. So I can’t chop it off.
    When it is skipped, it seems like nothing bad happens.
    The results of this function are used for some calculations.
    What I see the solution is to add a small condition to the function that calls this problematic one. And if there is zero instead of a pointer, then just skip the call to this function. Although I will probably do it a little differently, but the meaning is the same. I will deal with this issue in the evening.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 09, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    It must be me . The EBII team is discussing how to use the new religion limit at least, so don't think that the work on this tool is unnoticed.

I have tested with the maximum size of the tactical map and it's really gigantic. For the berserker, there are no more CTD indeed, but i wonder if the feature itself works correctly. If the unit attacks by itself i have seen no problem, but with the button it doesn't seem always reactive. I don't remember how it was on RTW, so it's maybe just me who don't know how to use it.
    About ctd with berserkers:
    I checked and that instruction only works in hand-to-hand combat(At the start of hand-to-hand combat and while warriors fight in close combat). I wrote above the way that I was going to solve it (I used it) and the arguments in favor of this decision.

Here it:
    There is a problem in the game - crash in the battle with units- berserkers.
    So for berserkers:
    indeed, a crash occurs on one instruction (in a function consisting of one single instruction). There is a crash due to the fact that the instruction is trying to get something out of the empty pointer, but can’t do this.
    I have no idea what the function that causes this problem does.
    This function is called from over 160 places. So I can’t chop it off.
    When it is skipped, it seems like nothing bad happens.
    The results of this function are used for some calculations.
    What I see the solution is to add a small condition to the function that calls this problematic one. And if there is zero instead of a pointer, then just skip the call to this function. Although I will probably do it a little differently, but the meaning is the same. I will deal with this issue in the evening.
    Also, if this team is interested in this project, I want to propose to discuss issues from the third message in this topic (I sometimes update it, there are plans for development). You can also offer any ideas and then decide whether it makes sense to implement them right now.
    As I have repeatedly stated, the best approach to development in my opinion is as follows:
    To do what is now in my power to do, gradually sorting out the things related to this in the game code. After that I can change these, new things, etc. etc.
    I also want to note that you can not only offer ideas and algorithms for their implementation, but simply write the program code. I will not make a script system, like the one in mtw2, but I can give the source code of individual modules (C ++ programming language) and I will only be glad if someone implements them better than me. At the same time, all technical work with the game code remains with me.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 11, 2020 at 03:14 PM.

According to the magical system:
    it is planned to do something like what was in the game Disciples 2. That is, several types of mana that are spent on various spells and the spells themselves.
    How is this possible to implement now:

1 - appearance:
    can make a full-fledged spell book (excluding the animation of changing pages in it, instead the effect will be simpler)
    it is possible to display a list of spells applied by the player and AI and their goals / results in beautiful colored letters on the screen. xD
    you can probably point the screen to the coordinates of the target and display simple visual effects on character models on the strategic map (some kind of flickering, transfusion with different colors, etc.)

2 - possible goals:
    all effects can be applied in a specific area or in a whole region, for a single target, only for enemy troops, etc.

3 - possible spells
    causing damage to the stack or unit in it, or vice versa restoring the number of soldiers.
    change of range of movement.
    the creation of new units in the stack.
    changing various characteristics of characters
    and much more.

4 - AI
    it can be written as you like, the source code will be open and it is assumed that its development will be collective (I myself will first write something as simple as possible). You can specify the use of spells before the battle, after moving, the goal to choose according to almost any criteria that you can imagine, etc.

The results obtained are 100% useful in the future. In the future, it will be possible to make various events with different answer options and effects, and much more.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 11, 2020 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post

Can you give us a realistic forecast about what could really be changed/implemented?
    Anything. But everyone needs to understand that this will not be now.
    And still not everything can be found time.
    Some things take too long and the result may not be worth the effort.

Welcome to the modding world. You spend months working in something that you consider amazing and all you get is a "nice" comment from someone. LOL.
    But if you really love what you do, then it worth it. I speak from my personal experience after almost 10 years modding for TATW.
    I am not going to stop developing and understand its prospects. I don’t really like the process, but I really like the result. True result and development speed are highly dependent on users.

Wall level
    About the walls:
    definitely not now.

Number of men per unit
    Everything is indicated in the instructions. It is not necessary to fix the sizes, but you need to understand that the game uses modifiers depending on the selected size in the game settings. And if the final value is very large, then it will not be good. 300 is the most optimal limit.

User Interface
    For new functionality, you can make any interface. In the game I think I should not climb, it will be incredibly difficult to figure it out.
    Last edited by youneuoy; April 11, 2020 at 06:46 PM.

I have done a little stress test on bare_geomod by giving 200 ancillaries to every character with CharacterTurnStart, and after 100 turns all was ok.

Still thinking how to make the exhaustion system as flexible as possible, but at the same time simple and effective.
    In general, this remains valid:
    you can try to do such a thing - if the army is in its province, then these effects do not affect it. And if in a stranger, then everything works. Moreover, if there is no general at a distance of n cells from the stack, then a fine of level m applies.
    The effects themselves are divided into levels that are set for example with the same traits, anchillaries, names, etc. .. Well, as an option, you can also take into account the experience of the soldiers (reduce losses in the experimental squads)

What I want to add:
    the ability to include recovery of losses depending on the population growth in the city, if the stack is in this same city. Those. if the population growth is 2.5%, then INSTEAD of adding the population, these 2.5% will be included in the stack. Those. instead of increasing the population by 500 people, these 500 people will join the army. Thus, by the way, it is possible to simultaneously lay the foundation for an improved system of working with the population.
    How do you like the idea?

I will test the religions.
    So, it would be possible to set the effect with traits/etc... for generals while captains would be affected depending on the experience of their soldiers or the settings in the cfg file?
    Yes. Well, or can, as I already wrote, look for the nearest general or do it in any other way.
    In general, the possibilities are almost endless, but now I just want to make a reliable foundation for this system. That is, so that from the very first version of any HotSeatTool function it would be possible to prescribe this system in its modifications, then just changing it a bit after updates, and not completely redoing everything.

I want to make a more or less honest system that will not hit hard on AI. Perhaps I will make additional conditions for AI, let's see.

I agree that auto-replenish is not a good thing, but i have sometimes seen people looking for a way to do this on M2TW.
    This can be configured and disabled as an option.

Valid formation parameters:
    square, horde, schiltrom, shield_wall, phalanx, wedge, column, square_hollow.
    Testudo is not on the list.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Can something be done to hunt down and exterminate the elusive antitrait bug?

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Can something be done to hunt down and exterminate the elusive antitrait bug?
    the correct removal of traits in the characters is possible?
    If this is so, then I will try to fix this problem or duplicate this system if the first does not work.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    the correct removal of traits in the characters is possible?
    If this is so, then I will try to fix this problem or duplicate this system if the first does not work.
    I presume there's a hiccup where the game is supposed to remove a trait if it tries to come in, but the antitrait was there first. Unfortunately properly getting it to work may be more of a Pita than it would appear, especially with the varied examples in the thread and seeing how many folks failed/for how long to get a grasp. At least knowing what's going on there would be a good start. I'm certainly useless in matters of true coding.

I presume there's a hiccup where the game is supposed to remove a trait if it tries to come in, but the antitrait was there first. Unfortunately properly getting it to work may be more of a Pita than it would appear, especially with the varied examples in the thread and seeing how many folks failed/for how long to get a grasp. At least knowing what's going on there would be a good start. I'm certainly useless in matters of true coding.
    Is there a console remove_trait command, does it work correctly?
    I don’t really want to read other topics, it can take a lot of time. Therefore, I would like as much specificity as possible.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by youneuoy View Post
    Is there a console remove_trait command, does it work correctly?
    I haven't checked in a long time, but I recall remove_trait doing just fine ingame. Worth noting that without arguments, it will wipe out all traits on a character.

I haven't checked in a long time, but I recall remove_trait doing just fine ingame. Worth noting that without arguments, it will wipe out all traits on a character.
    Yeah, that sounds good.
    I think I can see what the give_trait and remove_trait commands do, and then just apply these things.
    Probably in the config file it will look like the age setting, something like this:

antitrait - an explanation of what it is
    trait1 - trait a
    trait2 - trait b
    0 - way to set the level for trait b. Well, -1 for example, this is a level lower than the trait a, etc.

If a character receives trait b, having trait a, then trait a is deleted and trait b is assigned and gets level = level a (because a line with level 0 change).

Something like this, after all, it works in the game, right?

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Very great progress here, sadly Im very busy with modding, so cant help with testing much...

I was thinking about some ideas that wouldnt be extra complex and wasnt said by others...

- Would it be possible to set how many units can there be in a navy per ship? It has always been bugging my as illogical, that one ship can carry whole army... And in regards to previous attrition discussion, it should definitely be for units on ships as well...

- And what about some tool, that would perhaps allow you to add more attributes, than just command/chivalry/piety/loyalty

- Also minor thing, as I like dynasties surnames, could it be possible to make it that way, that the surname wouldnt disappear if the character becomes Leder or heir? I mean, if Jaime Lannister becomes a king, he will be only King Jaime. And i believe this also goes for cases, when the character gets some special trait, such "The Conqueror" etc

- Family trees - You can have maximally 4 separate family trees, so that could be increased(if Im not mistaken about 4, perhaps its more. But you can have only 4 children for one couple, which is sometimes problematic as well, so that could be changed too), and you can always see only the primary family tree, not the other 3. So it would be cool if you could somehow switch between them?

- It has always been also bugging, that with a ballista you can somehow take even huge cities if you are lucky, so perhaps if it could be somehow limited, so for example that if you had only ballista, the game wouldnt let you asault stone settlements?

- Would it be possible, to perhaps allow "jihads" system to more factions? Afaik is hardcoded to islam for now. Possibly also papal system, but that might be more problematic

- Also, I believe man of the hour and adoptions are hardcoded... would it be possible to make that optional, or perhaps allow it at only at certain conditions?

- Also, I assume thats impossible, but I have always hoped someone would figure out a way to include civil wars from Medieval I without insane scripting. If you dont know it, due to low authority and so on there might have happened a civil war, all generals were on one of the sides, and you could pick the one, and play on from that (tho the last part wouldnt be necessry, mainly the first one)

- I dont know if it is possbile to do it already, but I assume not as I havent seen in it any mod... The symbols that you can set for factions (the ones that armies/navies/settlements are "holding" on strat map) are kinda small compared the whole banner. It would be cool if the symbol could be stretched to the whole banner, which would allow for nicer banners, as right now you can use like, i dont 1/5 of the banner, so usually your symbol has to be very small, so you cant go into much details, and if you do, its hard to see anything in it....

- And of course, the things everyone hope for the most, like faction or culture limits...
    Last edited by Jadli; April 15, 2020 at 06:54 AM.

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast