Thread: Thrones of Britannia (opinions from DeI fans)

Default Thrones of Britannia (opinions from DeI fans)

I know this is a Rome II DeI mod forum....not that absent minded. But I couldn't think of a better place to ask what others think of Thrones of Brittania the TW saga than here as DeI (especially with testudo) is made much more similar to my preference in terms of gameplay etc... (slower paced battles, more in depth campaign, realistic and good unit variety with AOR etc...) So, if you have played it what do you think? Also as always mod recommendations are very welcome and wanted (I haven't played an un-modded TW since the days of the original Shogun). As in depth as you'd like to be

(I've heard unit variety is lacking, but image there are unit mods that can help with that, so long as they are compatible with other good mods especially that slow battles down and make them more realistic)
    Last edited by gnosis89; April 27, 2020 at 06:42 PM.

Default Re: Thrones of Britannia (opinions from DeI fans)

It's pretty bland but there's a lot of modding potential.
    - Roman invasion
    - 6th century Germanic migration
    - War of the Roses
    - Maybe even English civil war

But none of that exists right now. I wouldn't touch it for vanilla but there is the Shieldwall mod that adds population and other DeI like mechanics. However development is slow. I would get the game for cheap if you can.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It it reskinned Attila engine with all its flaws. Only Total War game in which I never finished a single campaign. It had some neat ideas but also many terrible ones.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've produced a quite detailed review here. This was before the last patch, however. And the last patch made everything very easy for the player to the point there's no point in playing it anymore.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Summary's Avatar Biarchus

If you have bought it already, give it a go. It ain't so bad. The main problem is the lack of flavour. Everything seems so similar and lack lustre. Removal of religion and culture as a mechanic is a bummer especially considering the whole era was centered around a religious and cultural conflict. Shieldwall mod makes the game a bit more interesting, it is still a WIP and they seem to be giving a very DeI-ish feel to the game. However, due to the lack of variety the replayability of the game is very poor. So, if you haven't bought it already, then don't. Because it will serve you just three of four campaigns before the repetitive nature of the game bores you out.

Even if you look at Rome 2 total war, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without DeI. Which adds a lot of flavour to the various factions. Allowing for a greater replayability and enjoyment.

One feature of ToB that would have made a lot of sense for Rome 2 (and probably would fit with a Rome 3) was the unit recruitment system; having units drawn from a limited pool makes a lot of sense for many factions in the R2 time period. It would mean that e.g. the Successor Kingdoms would begin with access to a full roster of Hellenistic units, but only in limited numbers and with slow replenishment. This would be more accurate than the current starting setup where most factions only start with access to basic militia or levies.

I think I will pick it up just to see. It's 75% off right now and at the very least I'd be encouraging SAGA/CA/ whoever is making them now...to continue making historical titles. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions. Some stating that it finally has some political depth and is less focused on the battles, so I'd like to see that first hand. Of course I'll immediately be looking for mods...

Also, it looks like Dresden had a mod up, Crucible of Kings...would that work with the ToB current version?
    Last edited by gnosis89; May 02, 2020 at 03:52 PM.